• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Called or preferred?

• Members

Yes. Consider how many convince themselves God wants them to divorce their spouse so they can marry another. Most of us could probably think of several other examples as well.

This is why we are told to test the spirits. If we believe God is telling us something, it will line up clearly with the Word of God. If what we are wanting to believe God is telling us isn't from Him, the Word of God will reveal that if we honestly search it.

Such as if we are convinced God wants us to divorce so we can marry another, an honest search of Scripture will reveal God hates divorce, what God considers adultery, that we are called to be faithful to our spouses, that we are not to look upon another, etc.

• Members

A resounding yes. Because of our lack of understanding of the Word of God, we very easily believe His silence is permission or His blessing on our effort or desire. The example above by John 81 is good, even in our calling to various ministry efforts, we misinterpret what God would have us do. We also assume that God doesn't care what we do in other considerations (buying a car, picking a spouse or performing a worldly occupation. We should consider the effect of all our decisions in life by what we find in His Word. I have to remind myself often (and am doing so as I write this).

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Absolutely, I've known several people who have convinced themselves that God was calling them to a particular area or church only to have it end in misery. When they reflected on their decision, it was usually something like, "Well, it's what I wanted to do, so I thought God sent me there." One such decision caused a friend of mine to divorce his wife after he had inappropriate contact with a minor in his youth group.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes but I think God's will is being obedient to Him each day and following Him. Someone walking in the Spirit will feel "yes" or "no", I think.... I think for someone to actually convince themselves to do something against God's will (and feel its really God's will) has probably not been walking in the Spirit...know what I mean? I guess I'm trying to say that God's will isn't a detective game...it should be fairly easy to live in for someone following God. Someone who convinces themselves to do something that is not really God's will probably has other problems as well.

I have heard people use "God's will" as a good spiritual reason for everything they do....sometimes I think people throw around the phrase too lightly.

I also think some people take the phrase too deeply...it just means following God each day and being sensitive to Him. It doesn't mean trying to figure out a huge mystery.

• Members

Yes but I think God's will is being obedient to Him each day and following Him. Someone walking in the Spirit will feel "yes" or "no", I think.... I think for someone to actually convince themselves to do something against God's will (and feel its really God's will) has probably not been walking in the Spirit...know what I mean? I guess I'm trying to say that God's will isn't a detective game...it should be fairly easy to live in for someone following God. Someone who convinces themselves to do something that is not really God's will probably has other problems as well.

I have heard people use "God's will" as a good spiritual reason for everything they do....sometimes I think people throw around the phrase too lightly.

I also think some people take the phrase too deeply...it just means following God each day and being sensitive to Him. It doesn't mean trying to figure out a huge mystery.

Amen!

No doubt those who say God wants them to get a divorce so they can marry the "Christian" woman they are having an affair with are already out of the will of God and seeking their own will, not God's.

At the same time, as you so rightly say, the will of God is not some big mystery. Being in the will of God means being in His Word and then by the power of His Spirit obeying the Word. If we do this daily we will be in His will daily.

• Members

Amen!

No doubt those who say God wants them to get a divorce so they can marry the "Christian" woman they are having an affair with are already out of the will of God and seeking their own will, not God's.

At the same time, as you so rightly say, the will of God is not some big mystery. Being in the will of God means being in His Word and then by the power of His Spirit obeying the Word. If we do this daily we will be in His will daily.

Isn't that something, married Christian man or woman in an affair with a married woman or man, & they get a divorce so they can marry the Christian man or woman? Now that is hardness of the heart at its worse.

• Members

Isn't that something, married Christian man or woman in an affair with a married woman or man, & they get a divorce so they can marry the Christian man or woman? Now that is hardness of the heart at its worse.

I agree and it's actually shocking just how common such things are. This is part of the reason so many pastors are afraid to preach on this subject. Too many in their congregation have already done this are doing this or will be doing this. They can't preach against this sin without risking losing church members and dollars.

• Members

Yes, I'm sure there is many churches where the pastor tip toes around on many subjects, especially divorce, & shacking up, maybe on homosexuality. I feel quite sure if he didn't he would get some walking papers. Plus, lots of pastors are neck deep in debt & can't do anything that would endanger their pay day, for they live payday to payday.

• Members

A friend of mine had a youth pastor in his church that was totally convince that God wanted him (and his family) to go to Harlem and start up a church. His heart was really convinced of it so it must have been of God. Well, after his kids spent one week in the local public school there he decided it must have not been God's will after all.