• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The sin of sending your kids to public schools

• Members

Having read through the thread, I would say that none of you have created a Scriptural basis establishing any type of schooling as a sin.

As I see it, the majority of you purport one of the following views.

1. Public education is a sin. Do you pay taxes? You are causing your brother to sin in the same way someone who serves liquor causes his brother to sin. On the other hand, we have to render to Caesar what is Caesar's. From a pure logical point of view, public education can not be a sin since God directs us to pay taxes. I pay all of my taxes. I do not agree with all of the usage of the money, but I pay completely and fully, knowing it is something required of me as a citizen and as a follower of Christ.

2. Christian education is as bad as public education. Seriously? Christian education stems from a few basic ideas: The Bible is the inerrant Word of God and source of all truth. Parents have the authority to ensure children are taught the Word of God and to be taught academic subjects from a Christian viewpoint. So, exactly how is a Christian education equal to a public school education? If you are talking about children and their behavior at school, then that is a problem with the people that attend rather than the program. Are some Christian schools run by people whose view of godly living differ than my own? Sure. Are they equal to what is being taught in my public school? Not at all.

3. Homeschool is mandated by God and only the truly spiritual parent homeschools his child. All others are ungodly dedicated to cable television and worldly pursuits. And this is based on....your viewpoint and opinion. Why don't you donate your monthly internet access fee to families who can not afford to educate their children at home? Also, if parents use the same curricula as the Christian school, are they not just replicating the sinfulness of that institution?
Further, not everyone should educate their children in the academic arena because they received a sinful public education, or a just as sinful Christian education. Using your own words, this is the only logical answer. It is not a good conclusion, but one you must draw based upon your own viewpoints.
Homeschooling equals godliness? That is not Scriptural, with all due respect. Plenty of homeschoolers are unsaved and using worldly sources. You can not assume that all homeschoolers are doing the right thing. Investigate it and you will find plenty of secular humanists who homeschool.

4. Schooling of children is the responsibility of the home and is carried out as the father in leadership sees fit. Parents pray and ask God for leadership and provision. Then, they act accordingly.

I'm astonished that people would try to stretch God's Word to identify a type of schooling as a sin. Is it wise for you to send your child to public school? I don't know, but God will lead you. Do I have a litany of examples of things that are problematic and less than godly with each one? Yes, I do. Would I venture to say that if you do not educate your children based upon what we do with our children you are sinful? No, I would not, and in my understanding of the Scripture and by what my Pastor preaches, neither should you.

I'm want to say that I'm astonished at all your human reasoning trying to make attending public school OK, yet I'm not astonished, not the least bit. You try yoru best to explain away the whole Bible teachings

Why let unbelievers teach your children? Why let false teachers teach your children? Why let the wolves teach your children? The main reason is its the easy way out, besides most people are doing it that way while following the worldly crowd.

Please remember, most people are not going to 'Heaven,' for few there be that pass through the strait narrow gate. Be careful following the crowd for there be many that pass though the broad wide gate, that means a big crowd shall be moving though that wide gate. Oh, those who pass though the strait narrow gate will be a peculiar people, Titus 2:14; 1 Peter 2:9, they will have been transformed, not conformed to the world, Romans 12:1,2.

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Jas 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God

1Co 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

And when you send your children into the public school system they will be deceived by the evil anti-god communications that they will hear and be taught.

• Members

I'm want to say that I'm astonished at all your human reasoning trying to make attending public school OK, yet I'm not astonished, not the least bit. You try yoru best to explain away the whole Bible teachings

Why let unbelievers teach your children? Why let false teachers teach your children? Why let the wolves teach your children? The main reason is its the easy way out, besides most people are doing it that way while following the worldly crowd.

Please remember, most people are not going to 'Heaven,' for few there be that pass through the strait narrow gate. Be careful following the crowd for there be many that pass though the broad wide gate, that means a big crowd shall be moving though that wide gate. Oh, those who pass though the strait narrow gate will be a peculiar people, Titus 2:14; 1 Peter 2:9, they will have been transformed, not conformed to the world, Romans 12:1,2.

2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
2Co 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2Co 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
2Co 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Jas 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God

1Co 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

And when you send your children into the public school system they will be deceived by the evil anti-god communications that they will hear and be taught.

Thank you for your kind words given in a spirit of Christian love. I can see that we are not talking about the same thing . I do not see your view supported by your verses at all. However, I do understand your logic and your conclusion based upon logic. While I would not recommend public schooling, I do not find the support of Scripture to say it is a sin. As a point of clarification, I am a believer, and therefore I can not follow someone through the broad wide gate because I have already chosen the narrow way. You might be interested to know that I do not promote or encourage public schooling (other than the fact that I pay taxes) , nor do I send my children to public school. I find it interesting that you would see someone who uses public school as worldly and unequally yoked. If you were to apply your set of verses that says public school is a sin to every walk of life, you could not use any service that has an unbeliever working at the service provider. Turn off your power, unsaved people work there. Turn off your internet service. Don't drive a car. Is your Bible printed and sold by only believers including the purveyors of ink and paper? Your view is your own opinion. As an opinion, I might even agree with you, but as a sin as mandated by Scripture, I completely disagree. I respect your ability to consider for yourself what the Scripture says, I see it differently. Is it good to have your children walking by the wayside with someone who is promoting values and teachings that contradict the home? I don't think so, but I would not declare that to be a sin. Evil communications do corrupt good manners. That applies to many areas, doesn't it? Even in a home, we as parents must be careful about our communications. We vet every form of communication that comes into our home. We believe and live that principle. You and I differ on what constitutes the Biblical definition of sin, and I respectfully acknowledge that difference without presuming that you are trying to explain away the Bible's teachings. I presume you are doing the best you can. Whether you can presume I am going down the broad gate and explaining away Scripture or that I am a sister in Christ with a different take on something is up to you. Either way, I know God can see my heart and my actions and He will determine what is best for my family through my husband's leadership.

• Members

One is not unequally yoked because the secular power company sends electricity into your home. There is no yoking involved. If a child is in a public school he is yoked in that his heart and mind is being filled with and hooked to the worldly, anti-Christian teachings put forth there that are specifically designed to get children to believe as they want them to.

If it is wrong for a Christian to be yoked to a Lodge, it is even more wrong for a parent to yoke their children to an anti-christian, ungodly institution designed to teach and promote secular humanism, lies and that which is unchristian.

How can some Christians believe it's wrong for their child to listen to CCM, Southern Gospel or secular music for an hour yet believe it's not wrong for their child to have all that is ungodly pumped into their ears, eyes, hearts and minds for hours a day, around 190 days a year?

Again, we are talking about children here, not adults.

• Members

John, I think we may both agree that what is best is to avoid the association with the world whenever we can. I hope you saw that I personally do not utilize the services of the public school system, nor do I counsel others to send their children to public school. The original question poses two ideas to which my response was intended: that public school attendance is a sin and that poor people may/may not be exempt from it being a sin. That, and that alone is the point of my participation. I do not believe Scriptural principles show something can be a sin for the wealthy (or able) and that the same thing is not a sin for the poor (or unable for a variety of reasons). Hopefully, I am conveying this correctly. :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

John, I think we may both agree that what is best is to avoid the association with the world whenever we can. I hope you saw that I personally do not utilize the services of the public school system, nor do I counsel others to send their children to public school. The original question poses two ideas to which my response was intended: that public school attendance is a sin and that poor people may/may not be exempt from it being a sin. That, and that alone is the point of my participation. I do not believe Scriptural principles show something can be a sin for the wealthy (or able) and that the same thing is not a sin for the poor (or unable for a variety of reasons). Hopefully, I am conveying this correctly. :icon_mrgreen:

I think I understand. :D

• Members

Thank you for your kind words given in a spirit of Christian love. I can see that we are not talking about the same thing . I do not see your view supported by your verses at all. However, I do understand your logic and your conclusion based upon logic. While I would not recommend public schooling, I do not find the support of Scripture to say it is a sin. As a point of clarification, I am a believer, and therefore I can not follow someone through the broad wide gate because I have already chosen the narrow way. You might be interested to know that I do not promote or encourage public schooling (other than the fact that I pay taxes) , nor do I send my children to public school. I find it interesting that you would see someone who uses public school as worldly and unequally yoked. If you were to apply your set of verses that says public school is a sin to every walk of life, you could not use any service that has an unbeliever working at the service provider. Turn off your power, unsaved people work there. Turn off your internet service. Don't drive a car. Is your Bible printed and sold by only believers including the purveyors of ink and paper? Your view is your own opinion. As an opinion, I might even agree with you, but as a sin as mandated by Scripture, I completely disagree. I respect your ability to consider for yourself what the Scripture says, I see it differently. Is it good to have your children walking by the wayside with someone who is promoting values and teachings that contradict the home? I don't think so, but I would not declare that to be a sin. Evil communications do corrupt good manners. That applies to many areas, doesn't it? Even in a home, we as parents must be careful about our communications. We vet every form of communication that comes into our home. We believe and live that principle. You and I differ on what constitutes the Biblical definition of sin, and I respectfully acknowledge that difference without presuming that you are trying to explain away the Bible's teachings. I presume you are doing the best you can. Whether you can presume I am going down the broad gate and explaining away Scripture or that I am a sister in Christ with a different take on something is up to you. Either way, I know God can see my heart and my actions and He will determine what is best for my family through my husband's leadership.

2Co 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty

How much clearer would it have to be? You should never send your child in amongst the unbelievers, the unrighteous, the wolves? Read what God really says, them take it to heart, and believe it.

And God's Word says, "come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

Yet you can't see why you should not let them, worldy people educate your precious children.

What your doing is going along with the way the world does, your not being transformed, your conforming to the world. Of course its much easier to go along with the world, yet remember, God has not promised us being His faithful servant would be easy, just the opposite is true.

And your right, I am not trying to be means spirited, not the least bit. And I thank you for saying I was not. So many it seems when you disagree with them hate comes creeping in.

I might add thses verses.

De 6:7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.
De 11:19 And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

Today's Christian childern mostly get Christin teachings, only on Sunday morning and hour or 2, and maybe on Sunday night, a few on Wednesday night. But the young children that attends public school gets worldly teachings pounded into thier head all the day long except for the very FEW hours, minutes, they spend in church each week. In fact, they get worldly teachings pounded into their heads as God tells us to teach our children about Him. We are failing on that, failing means we lose our children to the world and old Satan.

And there be very few Christians that's children gets taught about God in the manner we are told to teach them to our children in the above verses. Yet many Christians say to me, "I did everything right, I just can see where I went wrong losing all my children to the devil and the world. They sent them to an insitution that taught them that the Bible was not true and there is no God.

• Members

Well, Jerry, it seems we have beat the horses to death. :icon_mrgreen: I am an active participant in Christian education and a firm believer in its value. I concur that a spiritual education and a spiritual view of the world is invaluable. Thanks for your time and input in the discussion. The only place we disagree is to dogmatically call public schooling a sin. I leave it to us to disagree on this point and agree on many others. Hope you have great services tomorrow. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I believe it is a sin to send your kids to public school....

Can somebody help me out here with the correct response (please include chapter and verse).

Probably wouldn't do any good.

Is there a verse in the Bible that says we are to educate our children? Yep. Deut 6. I am commanded to educate my children in the word of God. How about one on math? One on science? Just one will do.
Success in the capitalistic system of America is dependent, to some extent, upon an education in the ways of the world.
A right relationship with God however can be had with an illiterate woman with a double digit IQ or by a man who left school in the 3rd grade.

There is so much division between homeschooling groups that it just makes me hang my head and wonder how in the world folks use it as a badge of spirituality. According to some in the movement, my wife and I are not really homeschooling our kids. We don't use the right curriculum. Therefore we're not "godly" homeschooling. Some folks say, They didn't have text books in the Bible, so we don't use any, we are the ultra spiritual homeschooling.

ALL SUCH DIVISIVENESS IS AN OFFENSE TO THE LORD!

If I could, I'd provide for every kid to be out of public school. It's not the education, it's the environment I can't stand.
If I could, I'd get every parent out of the public sector. It's not the trade or the working conditions, it's the environment.
So, that being said, life goes on and we must do the best we can for Jesus as the He directs and enables.

CASE 1: A single parent mother, abandoned by her husband, saved and in church. Her pastor rips the message that being on welfare is wicked, she shouldn't be mooching off of the tax payers. Next Sunday the preacher rips that she should be a keeper at home and raise her children. On both Sunday's the preacher is right, but what is she to do? How can she please this preacher? If she gets a job, the Govt winds up educating her children. If she stays home to be the teacher, she has to get Food Stamps.

Christians need to stop laying down laws that they can live by because of God's blessings upon their lives but that your brothers and sisters in Christ can't live by. Quit condemning them on the basis of your laws.

I remember our kids in their homeschooling in Washington state. WHO. All kinds of groups, fellowships, co-ops to assist the parents in homeschooling their kids. Problem was, all kinds of Pente's, Charismatics, Apostolic, JW's and Mormons home school as well. Would someone explain to me how sending a kid to public school with a warning of "they are the enemy" is more harmful than going to a meeting , picnic, or awards banquet with a bunch of cultist? CRAZY!!

My Bible says, Be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers.

CASE 2: A quarterly newsletter comes to the house from the Homeschooling group. There is a section in the newsletter where kids are seeking pen pals.

PETUNIA FLOWERS - I am an 11yr old Christian girl. This is my 5th year home schooled. I like shopping, and listening to music. I like Britney Spears, Shania Twain, Backstreet Boys, You can write me @....

NOSMO KING - I am a 15 yr. old and in 9th grade. My hobbies are going to the movies and listening to music. My fAV actors are Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger. My fAV singer is Christina Aguilar.

TINY MONTGOMERY - I am 13 and in the 7th grade. I am a Christian and I like to listen to Amy Grant. I love the Backstreet Boys. My fAV Backstreet Boy is Brian Littrel.

I simply want you to see and understand that it is possible to be just as wordy and just as devoted to the worship of teen idols and pagan musicians and movie stars if you home school as it is if you attend a public school.

My kids were home schooled for many years, they finished in public school on a foreign field.
The only time I ever remember getting a gospel tract as a young man was in Jr High. The only time I remember being invited to a church activity was in High School by a kid I knew in class.

If I had more kids to educate I would be more concerned about their testimony in the public school and their witness for Jesus than any thing else. I would not want them to be like the home schooled kids who never witnessed to any one. If my kids were in private school, I would be more worried about their witness for Jesus than any other thing.

That is the only education the Bible commands us to instill in our kids. If there was a commandment to home school our kids, we wouldn't be having this debate would we?

God bless,
Calvary

• Members
That is the only education the Bible commands us to instill in our kids. If there was a commandment to home school our kids, we wouldn't be having this debate would we?

God bless,
Calvary

...Actually, we would, considering some of the crazy stuff some people who claim to be Christians defend.
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14; Romans 5:8.

• Members

...Actually, we would, considering some of the crazy stuff some people who claim to be Christians defend.
God bless,
Joel ><>.

No doubt many professing Christians spend much of their time looking for loopholes and ways around truly following Christ. It's so much easier just to follow the ways of the world.

Amazing how some folks will go wild in their declarations that anything that might be called CCM is totally evil and no one, especially children, should ever listen to it, yet they think it's okay to send children into an anti-Christ institution which has specific aims to downplay and even discredit Christianity while teaching lies, humanism and the ways of the world; all in an ungodly, wicked, sinful environment.

• Members

No doubt many professing Christians spend much of their time looking for loopholes and ways around truly following Christ. It's so much easier just to follow the ways of the world.

Amazing how some folks will go wild in their declarations that anything that might be called CCM is totally evil and no one, especially children, should ever listen to it, yet they think it's okay to send children into an anti-Christ institution which has specific aims to downplay and even discredit Christianity while teaching lies, humanism and the ways of the world; all in an ungodly, wicked, sinful environment.

The supermarket fills that definition as well John. What amazes me more is a personal conviction (that you are entitled to) makes for several classes of Christians. I am obviously trying to usurp the will of God for my children according to you. Sad really that you would question my commitment to the Lord over a relatively modern development in education. There were schools in the days of Jesus. I wonder if He went to a regular school with other kids? I wonder if you think you could prove that He was home schooled...

• Members

The supermarket fills that definition as well John. What amazes me more is a personal conviction (that you are entitled to) makes for several classes of Christians. I am obviously trying to usurp the will of God for my children according to you. Sad really that you would question my commitment to the Lord over a relatively modern development in education. There were schools in the days of Jesus. I wonder if He went to a regular school with other kids? I wonder if you think you could prove that He was home schooled...

I didn't address anything towards you.

Supermarkets are set forth to sell goods that people need at a profit. Public schools are set forth to dechristianize children, separate them from their parents and subvert teachings the State stands against. Public schools are a tool of the State and Satan to gain control of children and to instruct them in the ways of the world while minimizing Christianity, often to the point of degrading Christianity.

You are correct that the current public school system is a modern development. If you trace the history of this you will discover the stated goals were to remove the "superstitious" teachings of parents from the children (they were referring to Christianity), while instilling in them humanism and preparing them to be subjects of the world. The entire system is designed to keep children away from Christ; to get them so indoctrinated in humanism and the ways of the world that they won't turn to Christ.

• Members

I didn't address anything towards you.

Supermarkets are set forth to sell goods that people need at a profit. Public schools are set forth to dechristianize children, separate them from their parents and subvert teachings the State stands against. Public schools are a tool of the State and Satan to gain control of children and to instruct them in the ways of the world while minimizing Christianity, often to the point of degrading Christianity.

You are correct that the current public school system is a modern development. If you trace the history of this you will discover the stated goals were to remove the "superstitious" teachings of parents from the children (they were referring to Christianity), while instilling in them humanism and preparing them to be subjects of the world. The entire system is designed to keep children away from Christ; to get them so indoctrinated in humanism and the ways of the world that they won't turn to Christ.

Of course your statement is directed at me, I disagree with your premise. Therefore I by definition am one of those who try to live by the loopholes and not follow Christ. Can't have it both ways friend.

When your kids grew up and left the house, they went into the world. What counts is how they stand, not the environment. How they stand will depend upon the education they got at home, regardless if they were educated by a reprobate in the public school or by Dad and Mom at home using bekka books. . Someday, all of us go into the system that is designed to be anti-Christ. In fact everyday Christians go to work and most go into an anti Christian environment. Focusing in on only one of them (public school) and making it a badge of spirituality is just divisive, no matter what you think it isn't. And it has no scriptural support either.

John, I have studied a bit about schooling. Public school in America was not designed from the beginning to un-educate Christians out of their faith as you claim. In fact the first prominent schools in our country were specifically founded to produce Christian leaders. Yale, Harvard, Princeton... ? Jesus most likely went to the synagogue of his area to be educated, a public school in the basest sense. No Jews were "home schooled". Where was Jesus found at the age of 12 years? In the school, or synagogue, educating the educators. In the public school of Bible times, basis life skills were also taught, and for the Jews, the public school (synagogue) they were taught the law.

If it were a commandment from God that children should be schooled in the home by mom and dad, you would have something to that effect in the word of God. Yet you don't, so you make broad generalizations from general verses and apply them to your pet conviction.

Be ye not unequally yoked with unbelievers. That could preach dozen different ways on a dozen different Sundays. But the context is marriage. See how it's done?

I'll stand on the book, not your man made gauge of spirituality.

God bless,
Calvary Edited by Calvary

• Members

Of course your statement is directed at me, I disagree with your premise. Therefore I by definition am one of those who try to live by the loopholes and not follow Christ. Can't have it both ways friend.

When your kids grew up and left the house, they went into the world. What counts is how they stand, not the environment. How they stand will depend upon the education they got at home, regardless if they were educated by a reprobate in the public school or by Dad and Mom at home using bekka books. . Someday, all of us go into the system that is designed to be anti-Christ. In fact everyday Christians go to work and most go into an anti Christian environment. Focusing in on only one of them (public school) and making it a badge of spirituality is just divisive, no matter what you think it isn't. And it has no scriptural support either.

John, I have studied a bit about schooling. Public school in America was not designed from the beginning to un-educate Christians out of their faith as you claim. In fact the first prominent schools in our country were specifically founded to produce Christian leaders. Yale, Harvard, Princeton... ? Jesus most likely went to the synagogue of his area to be educated, a public school in the basest sense. No Jews were "home schooled". Where was Jesus found at the age of 12 years? In the school, or synagogue, educating the educators. In the public school of Bible times, basis life skills were also taught, and for the Jews, the public school (synagogue) they were taught the law.

If it were a commandment from God that children should be schooled in the home by mom and dad, you would have something to that effect in the word of God. Yet you don't, so you make broad generalizations from general verses and apply them to your pet conviction.

Be ye not unequally yoked with unbelievers. That could preach dozen different ways on a dozen different Sundays. But the context is marriage. See how it's done?

God bless,
Calvary

Obviously for some reason you are emotionally overcharged on this. You may think what you wish but I didn't direct my post to you at all. If I had been directing a post to you I would have indicated it.

You may do as you wish but Scripture is clear with regards to how children are to be raised and with regards to separation and one can't follow the Bible in those areas while also sending their children to public school.

• Members

God bless,
Calvary

Hmm? Marriage isn't even mentioned, though that's one application. Here's the whole chapter.

2 Corinthians 6.
God bless,
Joel ><>.