• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The sin of sending your kids to public schools

• Members

Captain, I agree that evolution and humanism are spiritually harmful...but, again, these things cannot be "forced" on a child whose heart and mind are stayed on Christ. (To say otherwise is to say that Satan is more powerful than God.) You have to acknowledge the possibility that a child can go to a public school and not allow the philosophies of the world to find lodging in his heart. And, the minute you do that, you have just admitted that public school attendance is not "sin" for every person.

Let me give you a personal example, and ask you about your take on it. I know a solid Christian family (they are my neighbors and coworkers, actually) who have sent their daughter to the local public high school for the last few years (she is now a rising senior). I talk to this girl all the time. She is one of the sweetest kids I know. She dresses modestly, does not listen to any rock/pop music, regularly brings friends from her school to church activities, and is willing to take F's on tests rather than parrot all of the junk the teacher is throwing out. (So far, the teachers have been so kind as to give her alternate assignments, so she has been able to maintain high grades.) She speaks out in class, and has even confronted fellow Christian students at the public school (privately, of course) for their un-Christlike behavior. She has a strong and vibrant testimony; everyone knows she is a Christian. She has taken some heat for it (persecuted for righteousness' sake), but her faith has remained unshaken. Her parents meet regularly with the school administration and teachers, and have formed "redemptive relationships" with many of them. People have been pointed to Christ as a result of interacting with this family. So, my question for you is this: Is it a sin for her parents to send her to the public school? If so, why? She is not "listening to" the worldly philosophies. She is having the privilege of suffering for Christ. Her walk with God has deepened as a result of having to trust Him to get her through every hour. She is, in many ways, more mature spiritually than most kids her age. Yet, according to you, she is "living in sin"?

Look, Captain, I totally agree that it is unwise (and, yes, maybe even sin for some) to just throw kids into the public school by default, without even considering other options. I get that public school poses many dangers to kids, and I am not ever planning to send my kids to one. But calling it "sin" across the board for every person is too hasty; it does not take into account the circumstances of each family, nor their spiritual strength, nor the strength of Him who has overcome the world. If it is possible for even one child to come out of public school stronger spiritually than when he went in, then your entire argument crumbles.

• Members

Revelation 3:15-17 (King James Version)

15I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

17Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

• Members

Revelation 3:15-17 (King James Version)

15I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

17Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Well grace and peace to you too. :saint2:

"Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Well grace and peace to you too. :saint2:

"Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Blessings brother!

"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

• Members

Blessings brother!

"Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Will do. :thumb:

I fail to understand though why you seem to feel when someone disagrees with your position that attending public school is a sin Revelation 3:15-17 is applicable only to turn around and bless them in the very next post. Maybe it's just me but if I felt someones positions were serious enough to use the scriptures to tell them they are "wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked" and that Christ is going to "spue" them out of his mouth I certainly wouldn't turn around and bless them in the next post on the grounds of the spirit of 2 John 1:11 and 1 Timothy 5:22.

Of course, on the other hand perhaps you were just getting a little carried away with the Revelation quote as it wasn't particularly applicable to the situation in my opinion. :twocents:

"James 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!" Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Will do. :thumb:

I fail to understand though why you seem to feel that when someone that disagrees with your position that attending public school is a sin Revelation 3:15-17 is applicable only to turn around and bless them in the very next post. Maybe it's just me but if I felt someones positions were serious enough to use the scriptures to tell the are "wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked" and that Christ is going to "spue" them out of his mouth I certainly wouldn't turn around and bless them in the next post on the grounds of the spirit of 2 John 1:11 and 1 Timothy 5:22.

Of course, on the other hand perhaps you were just getting a little carried away with the Revelation quote as it wasn't particularly applicable to the situation in my opinion. :twocents:

"James 3:5 Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!"

I don't have a "position" on public school, I agree with the Word of God where that is concerned.

The Revelation verse is very appropriate for we are warned that God wants us to be fully committed to Him for he's not pleased with our lukewarmness. God's palate isn't satisfied with Christians picking and choosing from the Word as to what they will believe, what percentage of the Word they will follow, what percentage they will explain away, what percentage they will ignore.

It's the lukewarm Christians which open the door for the acceptance of those who are more liberal and even worldly. They look to the lukewarm Christians, as do the lost, and see the inconsistency and determine either there is nothing to Christianity or it can be molded to suit ones personal interests.

It's late and nearing time for nightly Bible reading and prayer. As to you, from what I know of you I do believe you are my brother in Christ and wish you to be blessed in the Lord.

• Members

I believe it is a sin to send your kids to public school. I've been challenged by family members regarding how far I take this. Let me first give the basis for my belief and then I'll expand on the problem. I believe it violates this verse:

Pro 19:27 Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.

It violates it because of the many ways the public schools will cause your children to err if they believe what is taught. If God says we shouldn't hear it, how much worse must it be for us to send our impressionable kids to be taught it. The biggies are evolution and humanism. Most serious-minded Bible believers would agree so far. The question I need to fully work out is whether it is a sin for all, or only those who can afford to send their kids to Christian school or home school. I understand many who say they cannot afford it probably could if they would quit smoking, paying for cable TV, having expensive hobbies etc. But, can I really tell a single mom that she's living in sin if she sends her kids to public school and truly cannot afford otherwise? My initial position was no. I can only tell people that if they can afford to they are in sin. But I was challenged that if it is a sin for one, it is a sin for all. I had to back track because if were income tax evasion, lying, cheating, adultery or drunkenness it would indeed be true for all.

Can somebody help me out here with the correct response (please include chapter and verse).

You know, the more I look at that verse, the more I believe that you are right; it does fit this situation. This verse is the words of a father speaking to his son. He's telling his son about two kinds of "instruction": the instruction of fools and the instruction of the wise. This man, Solomon I believe, has been teaching his son, hundreds of proverbs...words of the wise, godly advice. And I was thinking this morning: if there was a State run high school there, in Jerusalem, and they were teaching humanism, evolution, the big bang theory down there, would wise father Solomon be telling this son to "cease to hear the instruction at causeth thee to err from the words of knowledge" then turn right around and enroll him down at Jerusalem Middle School?

How many parents really know what goes on at school? How about the "Christian" PE teacher/coach we had back in '72 who made us "dress out"?He claimed to be a "Christian" but seemed to have no compunctions about requiring us to strip off naked and shower in an open room together...shower heads lined up around the wall...no partitions of any kind. Then there were the trips to the principal's office because I began "forgetting" to bring my 'gym clothes'. Reckon it's any more moral now 37 years later? Don't forget the little "sex education" films we enjoyed watching in gym class too. I'll be willing to bet that more than half the boys in the class couldn't tell you what a fallopian tube was but we all had a blast laughing. Reckon Solomon taught his adolescent son about female anatomy? Or did he warn him, instead about the strange woman? Would I want my son to have to participate in that.? Not on your life. That kind of junk is part of what Solomon is referring to,,,it's the instruction of fools. But like I said, it has to be a conviction. My last son graduated from homeschool last night and I certainly don't regret it. Edited by heartstrings

• Members

You know, the more I look at that verse, the more I believe that you are right; it does fit this situation. This verse is the words of a father speaking to his son. He's telling his son about two kinds of "instruction": the instruction of fools and the instruction of the wise. This man, Solomon I believe, has been teaching his son, hundreds of proverbs...words of the wise, godly advice. And I was thinking this morning: if there was a State run high school there, in Jerusalem, and they were teaching humanism, evolution, the big bang theory down there, would wise father Solomon be telling this son to "cease to hear the instruction at causeth thee to err from the words of knowledge" then turn right around and enroll him down at Jerusalem Middle School?

How many parents really know what goes on at school? How about the "Christian" PE teacher/coach we had back in '72 who made us "dress out"?He claimed to be a "Christian" but seemed to have no compunctions about requiring us to strip off naked and shower in an open room together...shower heads lined up around the wall...no partitions of any kind. Then there were the trips to the principal's office because I began "forgetting" to bring my 'gym clothes'. Reckon it's any more moral now 37 years later? Don't forget the little "sex education" films we enjoyed watching in gym class too. I'll be willing to bet that more than half the boys in the class couldn't tell you what a fallopian tube was but we all had a blast laughing. Reckon Solomon taught his adolescent son about female anatomy? Or did he warn him, instead about the strange woman? Would I want my son to have to participate in that.? Not on your life. That kind of junk is part of what Solomon is referring to,,,it's the instruction of fools. But like I said, it has to be a conviction. My last son graduated from homeschool last night and I certainly don't regret it.

:amen:

• Members

Why expose the youths mind to that which flatly contradicts God's Word which is taught in public schools.

Even if a child has been saved, they can be lead astray by such teachings, especially during their early years.

Pr 1:5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:

Children do not receive wise counsel in public school.

Pr 14:16 A wise man feareth, and departeth from evil: but the fool rageth, and is confident.

Just how much evil is present in public schools when measured against the Holy Scriptures? And even if your child is saved, don't be deceived, placing him or her in a public school system is setting them up to fall.

And this verse that has already been given.
Pr 19:27 ¶ Cease, my son, to hear the instruction that causeth to err from the words of knowledge.

There is no doubt the words of knowledge given in a public school will and can cause the child to err from God's way.

With all the teachings that goes against God in public schools, there is no defending public schools. You can only offer excuses.

• Members

Having read through the thread, I would say that none of you have created a Scriptural basis establishing any type of schooling as a sin.

As I see it, the majority of you purport one of the following views.

1. Public education is a sin. Do you pay taxes? You are causing your brother to sin in the same way someone who serves liquor causes his brother to sin. On the other hand, we have to render to Caesar what is Caesar's. From a pure logical point of view, public education can not be a sin since God directs us to pay taxes. I pay all of my taxes. I do not agree with all of the usage of the money, but I pay completely and fully, knowing it is something required of me as a citizen and as a follower of Christ.

2. Christian education is as bad as public education. Seriously? Christian education stems from a few basic ideas: The Bible is the inerrant Word of God and source of all truth. Parents have the authority to ensure children are taught the Word of God and to be taught academic subjects from a Christian viewpoint. So, exactly how is a Christian education equal to a public school education? If you are talking about children and their behavior at school, then that is a problem with the people that attend rather than the program. Are some Christian schools run by people whose view of godly living differ than my own? Sure. Are they equal to what is being taught in my public school? Not at all.

3. Homeschool is mandated by God and only the truly spiritual parent homeschools his child. All others are ungodly dedicated to cable television and worldly pursuits. And this is based on....your viewpoint and opinion. Why don't you donate your monthly internet access fee to families who can not afford to educate their children at home? Also, if parents use the same curricula as the Christian school, are they not just replicating the sinfulness of that institution?
Further, not everyone should educate their children in the academic arena because they received a sinful public education, or a just as sinful Christian education. Using your own words, this is the only logical answer. It is not a good conclusion, but one you must draw based upon your own viewpoints.
Homeschooling equals godliness? That is not Scriptural, with all due respect. Plenty of homeschoolers are unsaved and using worldly sources. You can not assume that all homeschoolers are doing the right thing. Investigate it and you will find plenty of secular humanists who homeschool.

4. Schooling of children is the responsibility of the home and is carried out as the father in leadership sees fit. Parents pray and ask God for leadership and provision. Then, they act accordingly.

I'm astonished that people would try to stretch God's Word to identify a type of schooling as a sin. Is it wise for you to send your child to public school? I don't know, but God will lead you. Do I have a litany of examples of things that are problematic and less than godly with each one? Yes, I do. Would I venture to say that if you do not educate your children based upon what we do with our children you are sinful? No, I would not, and in my understanding of the Scripture and by what my Pastor preaches, neither should you.

• Members

Having read through the thread, I would say that none of you have created a Scriptural basis establishing any type of schooling as a sin.

As I see it, the majority of you purport one of the following views.

1. Public education is a sin. Do you pay taxes? You are causing your brother to sin in the same way someone who serves liquor causes his brother to sin. On the other hand, we have to render to Caesar what is Caesar's. From a pure logical point of view, public education can not be a sin since God directs us to pay taxes. I pay all of my taxes. I do not agree with all of the usage of the money, but I pay completely and fully, knowing it is something required of me as a citizen and as a follower of Christ.

2. Christian education is as bad as public education. Seriously? Christian education stems from a few basic ideas: The Bible is the inerrant Word of God and source of all truth. Parents have the authority to ensure children are taught the Word of God and to be taught academic subjects from a Christian viewpoint. So, exactly how is a Christian education equal to a public school education? If you are talking about children and their behavior at school, then that is a problem with the people that attend rather than the program. Are some Christian schools run by people whose view of godly living differ than my own? Sure. Are they equal to what is being taught in my public school? Not at all.

3. Homeschool is mandated by God and only the truly spiritual parent homeschools his child. All others are ungodly dedicated to cable television and worldly pursuits. And this is based on....your viewpoint and opinion. Why don't you donate your monthly internet access fee to families who can not afford to educate their children at home? Also, if parents use the same curricula as the Christian school, are they not just replicating the sinfulness of that institution?
Further, not everyone should educate their children in the academic arena because they received a sinful public education, or a just as sinful Christian education. Using your own words, this is the only logical answer. It is not a good conclusion, but one you must draw based upon your own viewpoints.
Homeschooling equals godliness? That is not Scriptural, with all due respect. Plenty of homeschoolers are unsaved and using worldly sources. You can not assume that all homeschoolers are doing the right thing. Investigate it and you will find plenty of secular humanists who homeschool.

4. Schooling of children is the responsibility of the home and is carried out as the father in leadership sees fit. Parents pray and ask God for leadership and provision. Then, they act accordingly.

I'm astonished that people would try to stretch God's Word to identify a type of schooling as a sin. Is it wise for you to send your child to public school? I don't know, but God will lead you. Do I have a litany of examples of things that are problematic and less than godly with each one? Yes, I do. Would I venture to say that if you do not educate your children based upon what we do with our children you are sinful? No, I would not, and in my understanding of the Scripture and by what my Pastor preaches, neither should you.

It's not necessarily the "type" of schooling, it's what is taught.

Modern public schools in America are ungodly, anti-christian and teach that which Scritpure tells Christians to avoid while neglecting to teach that which is most necessary.

A home school or "Christian" school that teaches the same as a public school would be just as bad and likely worse.

The same reasons Christains use to separate their children from CCM, Southern Gospel, theaters, and not allowing their children to stay the night at unsaved friends homes, and not allowing them to watch most TV shows and read most magazines, are the same reasons their children should not be in public schools only more-so.

The public school curriculum, purpose and means are all anti-Christian. Christianity is demeaned, belittled and cast aside as irrelevant unless it's held up as something evil with all Christians being held accountable for the Crusades, Inquisition, and such. Meanwhile, secular humanism (a religion of itself) is promoted and in many instances false religions are held up, honoured and even promoted; whether the false religion be Islam, American Indian practices, Eastern mysticism or whatever.

God hates lies, even calling lying an abomination, and the public schools teach lies regarding Christ and Christianity, Christian history, "secular history" (there really is no such thing), social studies; and virtually every class includes lies, even to be found in many math books today in the form of some word problems.

Are we to act as if the commands to separate from the world, to not teach our children false religions, to separate from bad company, do not apply to our children? What about the commands that our children are to be instructed in the ways of the Lord at all time?

One of the purposes of the modern, government run public schools is to "educate" children so they will not follow the "superstitious" religious beliefs of their families. In this they have succeeded very well.

It's interesting that Baptists once almost universally rejected government run schools as violating their view of the separation of church and state. Historically, Baptists (as well as other Bible believers) have held that the education and training of children was a matter for the parents and church to address, not the government.

• Members

When I was attending school I had to start school in a public school setting at age 3 because I had a speech and growth delay development that got me into learning disabled classed all my school life. My parents tired Catholic, Christian schools for learning disablity classes and they were so much money or not at all. So I was stuck in public schools all my school life.
I never got into to much of what the other preppy teens wanted sex, rock music and rebellious things. Yes I had watched MTV occasional and watched what I wasn't suppose to but Hey i was a teen. I met a few people that were really Christian and they spoke about the end times.
As I progressed in my school years in public schools I can see what you think is a sin to send Christian kids in that setting and I do feel its worse today. I have witnessed gang fights in the hallways in the 90's of my school but, when I went into my section where learning disabled students went too I felt secured.
I then had a friend that was being homeschooled during the time I went to high school so each day I got off or a few times a week I went over there and got informed the early days of homeschooling. She went to high school part time three times a week to be a witness to the unsaved. Just a thought provoking idea with this subject. If there is no Christians in public schools how are the unbelievers be witnessed too?
You know the stories about them being sent home or punished for witnessing to people? Does it occur to anyone that they might be doing it during classhours and disturbing the class and they are there to study what they are studying?

You have to pick your battles with some public schools not everyone public schools are plain evil.

• Members

It's not necessarily the "type" of schooling, it's what is taught.

Modern public schools in America are ungodly, anti-christian and teach that which Scritpure tells Christians to avoid while neglecting to teach that which is most necessary.

A home school or "Christian" school that teaches the same as a public school would be just as bad and likely worse.

The same reasons Christains use to separate their children from CCM, Southern Gospel, theaters, and not allowing their children to stay the night at unsaved friends homes, and not allowing them to watch most TV shows and read most magazines, are the same reasons their children should not be in public schools only more-so.

The public school curriculum, purpose and means are all anti-Christian. Christianity is demeaned, belittled and cast aside as irrelevant unless it's held up as something evil with all Christians being held accountable for the Crusades, Inquisition, and such. Meanwhile, secular humanism (a religion of itself) is promoted and in many instances false religions are held up, honoured and even promoted; whether the false religion be Islam, American Indian practices, Eastern mysticism or whatever.

God hates lies, even calling lying an abomination, and the public schools teach lies regarding Christ and Christianity, Christian history, "secular history" (there really is no such thing), social studies; and virtually every class includes lies, even to be found in many math books today in the form of some word problems.

Are we to act as if the commands to separate from the world, to not teach our children false religions, to separate from bad company, do not apply to our children? What about the commands that our children are to be instructed in the ways of the Lord at all time?

One of the purposes of the modern, government run public schools is to "educate" children so they will not follow the "superstitious" religious beliefs of their families. In this they have succeeded very well.

It's interesting that Baptists once almost universally rejected government run schools as violating their view of the separation of church and state. Historically, Baptists (as well as other Bible believers) have held that the education and training of children was a matter for the parents and church to address, not the government.

However, the OP said the type of school chosen was a sin. I don't disagree that problems exist. I don't disagree that secularists are a false religion and are the authors of curricula. I just disagree that the TYPE of school option chosen makes a parent spiritual or not, as declared by the OP.

• Members

However, the OP said the type of school chosen was a sin. I don't disagree that problems exist. I don't disagree that secularists are a false religion and are the authors of curricula. I just disagree that the TYPE of school option chosen makes a parent spiritual or not, as declared by the OP.

If the OP is speaking of public schools in American then it would still apply because all public schools in America today are government controlled, anti-Christian, and filled with nearly everything Christians should not want their children exposed to or taught.

At one time public schools in America were not government controlled and in some areas they specifically had only Christian teachers, the Bible was the centerpiece of education, and Christian principles and standards were applied. However, today they are all standardized, government controlled and anti-Christian.

• Members

Amen. You doubters would find fault with the apostle Paul and the other NT writers because the frequently faulted and rebuked groups of people (see Titus 1:13 and context). Those that send their kids to public school and claim to be Christians ought to be rebuked sharply. I love what the author of one article said to the question of why we don't hear Christian leaders lifting up their voices over this issue: "The No. 1 reason appears to be fear. These weak-kneed Christian leaders avoid speaking the truth because they are afraid of losing support and money from people like you and me."

Read more: Is it a sin to send our kids to public school?