• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Differences between "old time" preachers and modern preachers

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Recently I've been listening to a lot of sermons from some of the "old time" preachers, and reading some of their writings, while at the same time listening to some of what's on various Christian radio programs and trying to discern the differences.

Most often, when listening to the "old time" preachers one gets a sense of the precense of the Holy Ghost and detects a boldness to preach the whole Word of God as is, with no excuses, no watering down, no skipping over. For most of the modern preachers this seems to be lacking. This seems especially lacking when it comes to those who do "focus on the family" type programs (I think they've changed their name but don't recall the new name; and there are several similar programs today as well).

It seems the "old time" preachers took the world on directly while modern preachers tend to either beat around the bush (as if they fear naming names, calling certain sins sin, giving clear warning, etc.). The "old time" preachers were far more proactive (was that even a term back then?). While they called upon Christians to get in the Word and to actually obey the Word, the whole Word, even the parts their flesh didn't like, most modern preachers today fail to do this or they only hint at such or direct folks do obey the Word in certain areas only.

The "old time" preachers preached that Christian men are to be men as the Word declares; Christian women are to be women as the Word declares; and children are to be raised as the Word says. Most modern preachers avoid much of this and when they do preach upon the subject they water it down, make exceptions, bend over backwards and jump through hoops in an attempt not to "offend" any women. Parents are commanded to be godly men and women and to raise their children for the Lord in accord with His Word. Today it's more common for such matters to go unaddressed or glossed over until there is a problem. Then the modern preachers preach a "how to try and fix this" sermon while being careful to proclaim it's not the parents fault their daughter had wicked friends for years, was running around late at night, decided to drop out of high school, shacked up with a heavy drinking guy they don't even know and got pregnant. The modern preachers "fix" is to "love" the daughter, pray for her and just let things work themselves out somehow...being careful not to mention Scripture, sin, repentance, God or any such thing unless the wayward child brings it up themselves.

"Old time" preachers called for sacrifice, for living simple for the sake of Christ, for giving our all in the service of Christ, truly making Jesus the Lord of our lives. Most modern preachers deliver a message (not even a sermon!) telling Christians how to be comfortable, how to handle their money so they have a good retirment, how to give so they get tax breaks, how to "serve" without sacrifice.

"Old time" preachers spoke openly about the fact that if one truly and fully follows Christ the world will not like them, might even hate them and persecute them. Most modern preachers tell us that Christians should be so sweet and non-offensive that everyone should like us, and if they don't, we need to be nicer.

"Old time" preachers confronted things like the Masons, the RCC, false religions, wayward churches and denominations head on. Many modern preachers are more likely to either ignore such, tolerate such, cooperate or even yoke with such!

"Old time" preachers spoke openly and boldy about sin, clearly naming sins and calling them sins and not being "tolerant" of those who decided to practice sin. Such is little heard today.

I believe that old time preachers had more time to spend with the Lord and were not confined by the electronic age. They trained and discipled new believers so the believers were equipped to go and do what the Lord had commissioned them to do. They trained them to live their calling.

• Members

I don't believe many of the old time preaches had any more time than we do. You must remember all the time saving devises we now have. We can easily do a search of the Bible and easily find a certain verse Plus it took much more time to get to church, for travel was slower. And they had less access to Bible helps.

Not all that long back when dark time came the old time preachers only had a candle or lantern to read and study by. And they could not burn them very late because of cost.

Perhaps they did not have as many distractions.

• Members

I believe that old time preachers had more time to spend with the Lord and were not confined by the electronic age. They trained and discipled new believers so the believers were equipped to go and do what the Lord had commissioned them to do. They trained them to live their calling.

I don't know what you mean by "confined by the electronic age". We all have the same 24 hours a day today that men of God have always had. The Bible command to pursue personal holiness and to make disciples applies today as much as it did in the first century or the last century.

Scripture tells us that those who truly follow Christ will suffer persecution, will be called upon to sacrifice time and again. This is something most old-time preachers understood, accepted and lived by. Too many today want a comfortable Christianity. They want to be liked by everyone, they don't want to make any real sacrifices, they certainly wouldn't give their last two mites as they are busy buidling up their bank accounts, maintaining a home far larger than they need filled with an abundance of non-necessary toys...

• Members

Perhaps they did not have as many distractions.

I would venture to say it was more of a matter of they chose not to be distracted.

Today many Christians speak of how busy they are but when you break down what they are doing it becomes obvious they are choosing worldly distractions over Bible reading, witnessing, discipling, seeking after God.

I've heard pastors talk of how tough it was to get their sermon done that week because of some sports playoffs. They CHOSE to spend hours watching sports on TV rather than in sermon preparation.

The same is true for Christians in general who CHOOSE to never miss an episode of American Idol, their three favorite cop shows, a few comedies, some sports or soaps. They can sit in front of a TV from 6-10 each night yet they "can't" find the time to read the Bible?

• Members

Before the internet, cell phones, movies, TV and or radio, telephones in nearly every house, if figure there were fewer distractions.

Fewer of those sorts for sure! Even with all these, it's still our choice as to what we put first. When I get up in the morning I spend time in the Word first thing. I could choose to get on the internet first thing or to sit and watch TV. Cell phones, radios and such can all be turned off.

It's like most farmers think they "must" be in the field on Sunday morning rather than in church. Yet even so, there are a few farmers who choose to put Christ first and assemble for church Sunday morning...and I've never seen a church going farmer suffer loss because he wasn't in the field on a Sunday morning.

I'm humbled when I read of how some would get up at 4 in the morning to read, study the Word and spend time in prayer for 2 or 3 hours each morning. Jesus is recorded as having prayed all night. In the Garden before His arrest it says he prayed an hour, two or three times, while the disciples slept. Not matter how "good" I think I'm ever doing in spending time in the Word and prayer, I still have so much further to go to come anywhere close to these!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Amazing how much difference there is between preachers like Lee Roberson, John R. Rice, J. Vernon McGee and those of their era than so many of today. Reading more of their sermons and writings lately it's becoming clear why I have heard so many over the years denounce them. These men took the Bible seriously, set out to live by the Word and actually expected other Christians to do the same.

Were they preaching today they would be called intollerant, mean spirited, anti-woman, anti-freedom, unrealistic, and worse. All because they preached the Word and called for Christians to abide by the Word without excuse.

• Members

Recently I've been listening to a lot of sermons from some of the "old time" preachers, and reading some of their writings, while at the same time listening to some of what's on various Christian radio programs and trying to discern the differences.

Most often, when listening to the "old time" preachers one gets a sense of the precense of the Holy Ghost and detects a boldness to preach the whole Word of God as is, with no excuses, no watering down, no skipping over. For most of the modern preachers this seems to be lacking. This seems especially lacking when it comes to those who do "focus on the family" type programs (I think they've changed their name but don't recall the new name; and there are several similar programs today as well).

It seems the "old time" preachers took the world on directly while modern preachers tend to either beat around the bush (as if they fear naming names, calling certain sins sin, giving clear warning, etc.). The "old time" preachers were far more proactive (was that even a term back then?). While they called upon Christians to get in the Word and to actually obey the Word, the whole Word, even the parts their flesh didn't like, most modern preachers today fail to do this or they only hint at such or direct folks do obey the Word in certain areas only.

The "old time" preachers preached that Christian men are to be men as the Word declares; Christian women are to be women as the Word declares; and children are to be raised as the Word says. Most modern preachers avoid much of this and when they do preach upon the subject they water it down, make exceptions, bend over backwards and jump through hoops in an attempt not to "offend" any women. Parents are commanded to be godly men and women and to raise their children for the Lord in accord with His Word. Today it's more common for such matters to go unaddressed or glossed over until there is a problem. Then the modern preachers preach a "how to try and fix this" sermon while being careful to proclaim it's not the parents fault their daughter had wicked friends for years, was running around late at night, decided to drop out of high school, shacked up with a heavy drinking guy they don't even know and got pregnant. The modern preachers "fix" is to "love" the daughter, pray for her and just let things work themselves out somehow...being careful not to mention Scripture, sin, repentance, God or any such thing unless the wayward child brings it up themselves.

"Old time" preachers called for sacrifice, for living simple for the sake of Christ, for giving our all in the service of Christ, truly making Jesus the Lord of our lives. Most modern preachers deliver a message (not even a sermon!) telling Christians how to be comfortable, how to handle their money so they have a good retirment, how to give so they get tax breaks, how to "serve" without sacrifice.

"Old time" preachers spoke openly about the fact that if one truly and fully follows Christ the world will not like them, might even hate them and persecute them. Most modern preachers tell us that Christians should be so sweet and non-offensive that everyone should like us, and if they don't, we need to be nicer.

"Old time" preachers confronted things like the Masons, the RCC, false religions, wayward churches and denominations head on. Many modern preachers are more likely to either ignore such, tolerate such, cooperate or even yoke with such!

"Old time" preachers spoke openly and boldy about sin, clearly naming sins and calling them sins and not being "tolerant" of those who decided to practice sin. Such is little heard today.

I have observed the same thing, John81. It makes me think of this verse in Isaiah: "Therefore My people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst." The "honourable men" (pastors) are themselves starved of real obedience to God and devotion to holiness, and therefore the multitude (the congregation) have no living water. In other words, because the spiritual life of the pastors are not strong, the flock is not being fed properly.

It concerns me that cultural Christians do not think much of the repercussions of sin. Like you said, John81, the pastors are simply not speaking strong warnings to the people of the very real and fearful consequences of sin. When you read the Old Testament, you see that there were swift repercussions for sin--a promiscuous maiden, for example, could have been stoned to death. Uzzah was killed instantly when he disobeyed God and touched the Ark of the Covenant (2 Samuel 6).

God's mercy, His patience, is mistaken for apathy (I tremble to even type these words). "Or despisest thou the riches of His goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? (Romans 2:4)." This seems like the same deception that the enemy of souls spoke to Eve in the Garden of Eden. He said "ye shall not surely die" when tempting Eve to eat of the fruit that God had specifically forbidden Adam to eat. The enemy of souls was "softening" the condemnation of sin and making it seem as though nothing would really happen if Eve disobeyed. It is as if he was saying, "look, it tastes good, it looks beautiful, nothing is going to happen to you, go ahead and eat it. It doesn't matter that God told your husband not to, eat it anyway, you know you want to."

It seems to me that popular pastors today are trying to speak soft words so as not to offend their congregation, when they should be warning them sternly against sinful actions so as not to offend God. Edited by Miss Linda

• Members

Good post Miss Linda!

I was reading a sermon by Lee Roberson yesterday and he told an important true story. He related how he went to a church and held a week of special services there. During those services he often spoke of hell, everlasting punishment and the only way to avoid such. Many were born again and many rededicated their lives to Christ. The pastor of that church told him that when he began at this church 5 years ago the deacon board told him their old pastor used to preach about hell a lot so they wanted their new preacher to not preach on that topic. Their new pastor promised and for 5 years he never preached on hell or everlasting punishment. He told Brother Roberson that during that time the church became stagant, souls were not won to Christ and there was no growth. Upon hearing Brother Roberson preach so much on that topic and seeing the results he knew why. He confessed his sin of doing the will of man rather than the will of God. The next day he told the deacon board he would have to break his promise not to preach on hell or everlasting punishment. After this, that church thrived.

We need to hear the whole Word, and sometimes most especially the unpleasant and hard things. Too many today won't preach that way. When their services are over the congregation goes forth and joins the world in pleasure seeking and self-interests rather than following after Christ.

• Members

We need to hear the whole Word, and sometimes most especially the unpleasant and hard things. Too many today won't preach that way. When their services are over the congregation goes forth and joins the world in pleasure seeking and self-interests rather than following after Christ.

AMEN!!!!! "Blessed is the man whom Thou chastenest, O Lord, and teachest him out of Thy law." (Psalm 94:12)

• Members

I have been reading "The Absolute Unlawfulness of Stage Entertainments" by William Law. This book was written in 1765, but is needed in this age even more, I believe! William Law states in his opening paragraph "I am sensible that the title of this little book will, to the generality of people, seem too high a flight; that it will be looked upon as the effect of a fanatical spirit, carrying matters higher than the sobriety of religion requires." It struck me that even 250 years ago, faithful men of God were having to apologize for speaking firmly about the truths of holiness and the dangers of dabbling with sin.