• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sabbath on Sunday

• Members

The Sabbath is STILL Saturday. However New Testament Churches hold their services on the Lord's Day - which is the first day of the week.

Mark 16 :9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when, it was yet dark, unto, the sepulchre, and, seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre. .
19 Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

Matthew 28 :1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Mark 16:1 And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
2 And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Revelation 1:10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

• Members

I agree with what you said, but they (7th dayers) try to say we are not following God's commandments by having our day on the Lord's Day which is Sunday. The jewish sabbath is clearly still on Saturday. How do we justify to them we are not breaking it. The sabbath was made for the Jews to begin with. The bible says we are not supposed to dispute holy days so my heart is not convicted by this at all. I have asked the Lord to help me one or the other and am led to believe what the 7th dayers say is nothing but a stumbling block for immature christians. I have asked the Lord to search my heart and he knows that I do not want to break his commandments (although we still do). He knows why I do when I do it and convicts my heart when I am wrong about something. I just need more armour to be a better witness.
Thank you for your response.

• Members

I am married to a person who grew up in the SDA Church. I even tried to join to have our family worship together, but hey, they wouldn't take me hehehehe

For the SDA, Sunday worship is taking the mark of the beast. That is a big deal!

We are not Jews. We have Jesus. Jesus fulfilled the laws. He is our Sabbath rest.

• Members
I am married to a person who grew up in the SDA Church. I even tried to join to have our family worship together, but hey, they wouldn't take me hehehehe

For the SDA, Sunday worship is taking the mark of the beast. That is a big deal!

We are not Jews. We have Jesus. Jesus fulfilled the laws. He is our Sabbath rest.

You mean because you had been a member of a church that worshiped on Sunday they said you had taken the mark of the beast and would not have you?

If so, maybe they really did you a great favor.

• Members

There is of course plenty of information available arguing irrefutably why the O.T. Jewish sign "The Sabbath" was a sign for Jews Ezekiel 20:12 for one of many examples. See www.HolyBibleSays.org and www.biblebelievers.com

But one of the things that tickles me about the SDA & Messianic Jewish blabber is: We're like 9.4 hours behind Israel and the Scripture command for the OT was to keep "My Sabbaths" not {A sabbath} depending on your global location.... which means we miss the actual Sabbath in overlap by 9.4 hours......so in essence one is NOT keeping all the Sabbath, but just a little of it! lol 2nd, No cooking, no walking or traveling on the Sabbath over xx miles..... how many SDA folk keep that? Its really kind of funny....particularly when you mix in the fact that we're no longer on Israel's calendar year of Ex 12 but on a longer calendar year of 365 days... You couldn't keep "THE" Sabbath now if you wanted to..... you have to just take a wild shot at it and see if you can get God to honor the day you're calling the Sabbath.

3rd Not one NT command for Sabbath keeping for the church.....of all the places where the commandments were listed, Sabbath keeping is omitted in the NT..... and we find the Apostles assembling on Sunday.....The Lord's day.

I figure.....if some folk want to have church on Saturday....knock yourself out....hey do it on Thursday if ya want....but just don't forsake assembling.....

• Moderators

Used to work in a cabinet shop owned by SDA. One winter I asked one of the guys if he ran the heater or his wife cooked last Sat. When he told me yes I reminded him that he "broke the Sabbath" by kindling a fire. We then got into a discussion of the diff between ceremonial and moral law in light of Colossions 3.

• Members

[quote="Jerry80871852"]

You mean because you had been a member of a church that worshiped on Sunday they said you had taken the mark of the beast and would not have you?

If so, maybe they really did you a great favor.[/quote]

No, you can have worshiped on Sunday but you must now know the "truth" and only worship on Saturday now.
They did do me a really great favor. Hey I am now IFB!

Interesting on the time/day issue. That is a really good point.

The other argument that always comes up, is if we don't keep that commandment, then do we toss out all of them? Some people really want to hang onto those - all ten.

As for do most SDA keep all of the Sabbath rules, yes, as much as they can. They precook meals and don't go anywhere except Church and other fellowship places (like someone's house for dinner). No TV (if they even have one in the house). Eating meals out from Friday night through Saturday night is a no no. If you do work in a place like a hospital, that is ok, because Jesus healed on the Sabbath.

• Members

I am currently in discussions with a ex-SDA brother....who unfortunately, although he left the SDA, is now in a Messianic Jewish congregation! Not much difference really....just not quite as stupid about number of the beast teachings et al.

Still cant seem to get him to "see" Romans 4-10 or Galatians. It is as if they dont exist to him bless his heart. But....he professes Salvation by the blood..... been trying to get him to see that although the moral law is still quite in effect, the Jewish ceremonial law & dietary law were just pictures and now that the real is among us, the picture is rendered moot.

Israel's year, month and sabbath were calculated differently than our present time is. Even the day was calculated from 6:pm to 6:pm so for them, the Sabbath began at 6:pm on what we'd be calling Friday back then. Grasping the difference in calander year, 30 day months (no leap years), no DLS time adjustments, and the lapse of time since the calander change, it quickly becomes apparent that keeping "MY SABBATHS" and not merely "a Sabbath" somewhere on the planet is rather impossible....and more importantly pointless as it relates to the obtaining of Salvation and or keeping it.

Imagine it....God's son dies on Calvary's cross but needs your help to keep you saved by your observance of the law of Sabbath.... lol it's like Biblical Kindergarden......

• 4 months later...
  • Members

PastorHarrison,

re: ?Israel's year, month and sabbath were calculated differently than our present time is. ..Grasping the difference in calander year, 30 day months (no leap years), no DLS time adjustments, and the lapse of time since the calander change, it quickly becomes apparent that keeping "MY SABBATHS" and not merely "a Sabbath" somewhere on the planet is rather impossible...?

If you have documentation or know of any that shows that the seven day cycle has been interrupted at some point between now and the first century I would very much like to see it.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Historically, the dates of the months have changed - but not the days of the week. The sabbath has always been Friday sundown to Saturday sundown. God has never changed Sunday into the sabbath. What the Bible does teach is that the sabbath was part of the covenant God made with Israel - and it pictures our rest in Christ; therefore the true believer IS still keeping that commandment - not by OBserving that one day, but by trusting in Christ as his rest.

If you study out the New Testament, you will find several places where it teaches the sabbath was a shadow and fulfilled in Christ (for example, Colossians 2:16-17 and Romans 14). The sabbath was never binding on the church - AND you will find NO command to OBserve or keep it in the NT - THOUGH the other nine commands are clearly restated over and over.

On another note, what the Jews were supposed to do (according to the Bible) on the sabbath, the N T believer is to do EVERY DAY (such as seek the Lord and His will wholeheartedly, do good, have mercy on others, etc.).

• Members

Also, God's commands were not limited by time zones. The Jew under the Old Covenant was required to keep the sabbath whether he was in Israel or in Babylon, so that is not a valid argument for not OBserving that command today. Today, and since the first Century, many believers have gathered around the world on the Lord's day to celebrate Christ's resurrection - I don't think they are any less celebrating the Lord's Day if they are in North America or in India.

• Members

How do I explain the sabbath being on sunday to someone who is friends with a 7th day adventist and has been told a lot of false teachings about religion in her life.

As it's been mentioned, the Sabbath is not Sunday. The reason we worship on Sunday is because it's the Lord's Day- he rose to pay for our sins, we rise to praise him.

Jewish days, as a general rule of thumb, start when 3 medium-sized stars become visible in the sky (the evening and the morning were one day, according to Genesis)- so Sabbath starts at Friday at sunset, and ends Saturday at sunset.

If a SDA church has an evening service, especially during the winter months when the sun sets at around 5PM, they may very well be having service after of the Sabbath day.

Ask them what they think about Colossians 2:16. It's pretty much the ultimate verse on the Sabbath as it applies to Christians. :)

• Members

The Sabbath was never a day of congregational worship; it was a day of rest.
Christians were never told to keep the Sabbath in the New Testament.
Jesus rose on the first day of the week, so that's why we worship on Sunday.
You can basically worship any day you choose but, really we should worship every day.
My church happens to meet Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednesday night, revivals, camp meetings, youth meetings etc. So that's when I go. If they met on Saturday, I would go then too. But New Testament Christians are not under any LAW which says we must worship any particular day.

Romans 14:6 - He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.