• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastoral Qualifications

• Members

The Bible doesn't specifically address that question, but there are other principles that can be applied to answer it. I've heard some folks say "husband of one wife" addresses the rampant polygamy going on in those days, and essentially the phrase means husband of one wife at a time. However, the gospels record Jesus' thoughts on the issue of divorce.

Luke 16:18 - Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Therefore, if Jesus equates divorce and remarriage with adultery, then I don't believe a man who marries/is married to a divorced woman is qualified to hold a pastorate, or be a deacon, for that matter.

• Members

Jesus did allow an exception to the rule:

Matthew 5:32, "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

Matthew 5:32, "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

Rick if she fornicated then she already committed adultery...I think. So, you wouldn't have caused "her to commit adultery" through the divorce; she would have already done that before she was "put away".

There is no exception to someone marrying a divorced woman...both scripture references agree, if a man marries a divorced woman he commits adultery.

• Members

True. Paul also addresses abandonment of a spouse. And while those are true statements, Jesus also said:

Matt 19:8 - He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

I believe it was God's intention that husband and wife remain married to each other for life. Mark 10 is pretty clear about God's feelings on marriage and divorce. Malachi 2 indicates that God hates divorce. So while exceptions may be allowed, I don't think God intended for those exceptions to include pastors. I read "husband of one wife" as the pastor can only be married once in his lifetime, unless, of course, his spouse dies, which releases the marriage bond. And if he marries a divorced woman, even though she's his first and only wife, he's committing adultery according to Scripture and therefore bringing into question his blamelessness.

That doesn't mean that divorced people cannot serve in ministry, including preaching and missions. But I believe that any divorce (whether his own or his marriage to a divorced woman) disqualifies a man from the pastorate.

• Members

There are no qualifications in the Bible for a Pastor's wife. A Pastor who is married to a divorced woman committed adultery (1 time, not living daily in it). In my opinion it would depend on when it happened. Did it happen prior to salvation?

The issue is really in the qualification of "ruling his own house". Has he shown with his wife that his house is under subjection?

Now, I personally wouldn't call someone like this to pastor a church I was a member of and I wouldn't hire someone like this to be my assistant. (More of a personal preference)

• Members

Sin has consequences, all sin has consequences, and some sins make a person unfit to be pastor of a church. And that does not mean that person, if he sought forgiveness, has not been fully forgiven, it just disqualifies him for position of pastor.

Matthew 5:32, "But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery." I know of churches that will ordained such a man, but I believe it is wrong. Of course many things are accepted today, that would not have been accepted years ago, and many of them are just as wrong today as them.

I might add, one thing man hates, its the consequences of his sins, he thinks there should not be no consequences.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

Well, I am speaking of the Pastor (actually just stepped down in the last couple days it seems due to financial reasons) of my in-laws Church. There is now a young man pastoring the Church.

True. Paul also addresses abandonment of a spouse. And while those are true statements, Jesus also said:

Matt 19:8 - He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.

I believe it was God's intention that husband and wife remain married to each other for life. Mark 10 is pretty clear about God's feelings on marriage and divorce. Malachi 2 indicates that God hates divorce. So while exceptions may be allowed, I don't think God intended for those exceptions to include pastors. I read "husband of one wife" as the pastor can only be married once in his lifetime, unless, of course, his spouse dies, which releases the marriage bond. And if he marries a divorced woman, even though she's his first and only wife, he's committing adultery according to Scripture and therefore bringing into question his blamelessness.

That doesn't mean that divorced people cannot serve in ministry, including preaching and missions. But I believe that any divorce (whether his own or his marriage to a divorced woman) disqualifies a man from the pastorate.

I agree with what you've said. Also, Pastorj's comment about the man preaching, etc. One thing comes to mind from O.T. God can choose whom He wants to serve in any capacity...i.e. Moses murdered the Egyptian. So, if a man was pastoring a church and his wife had been divorced in the past; I don't think I have a stone to throw.

• Members

The thing is, many of the Old Testaments prophets and great Bible characters would not qualify to be pastor of a New Testament Church. And it is what we are to go by.

For instants, David would be disqualified being pastor of a New Testament Church, he had more than one wife.

• Members

I agree with what you've said. Also, Pastorj's comment about the man preaching, etc. One thing comes to mind from O.T. God can choose whom He wants to serve in any capacity...i.e. Moses murdered the Egyptian. So, if a man was pastoring a church and his wife had been divorced in the past; I don't think I have a stone to throw.

It isn't a matter of "throwing stones". It is a matter of qualifications. If a man lost his eyesight you wouldn't want him to drive a car anymore. Is that because your "throwing stones" at him personally or because he is a danger to others when driving given his condition? Same thing with being divorced. I have known many people who had divorced and remarried prior to being saved that I respected a good deal. Other than that one issue they would be well qualified to be pastors, deacons, and so forth. In our society today divorce is so prevalent that a large portion of Christians saved as adults have been divorced and remarried. In my church the percentage is probably around one third of the adult congregation, maybe higher than that. If it were up to me I would like to say that it simply doesn't matter and is forgotten altogether if it happened prior to salvation but I don't see that in scripture. I seriously doubt a pastors wife would be held to a lower standard than that of a deacons wife and those are supposed to be "grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all things." I guess the main thing is a pastor and his family are supposed to be a picture of the way things "should be" and either of them being divorced clouds the waters in a way I don't believe God wants them clouded. Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Seth,

Please show me the Scripture that supports a Pastor wife being held to the standard of the Deacon's wife. The only qualifications listed are being under subjection. There are valid reasons for having qualifications of a Deacon's wife.

Jerry,
There are consequences, but again, show me how he is disqualified from the Pastorate. The Bible says that if a man looks at a woman to lust, he has committed adultery. What man at some point in his life (usually when he was a teenager) has not lusted after a girl. The reality is that there are very few men, if any, that have not lusted after a woman at some point. Therefore, no one is qualified to pastor.

• Members

Seth,

Please show me the Scripture that supports a Pastor wife being held to the standard of the Deacon's wife. The only qualifications listed are being under subjection. There are valid reasons for having qualifications of a Deacon's wife.

Jerry,
There are consequences, but again, show me how he is disqualified from the Pastorate. The Bible says that if a man looks at a woman to lust, he has committed adultery. What man at some point in his life (usually when he was a teenager) has not lusted after a girl. The reality is that there are very few men, if any, that have not lusted after a woman at some point. Therefore, no one is qualified to pastor.

Mercy, and your a pastor, and you don't know there is consequences for sin! There be many consequences for sin, even after its forgiven by God. Its in the Bible of which you surely have read and studied.

• Members

Seth,

Jerry,

Please show us the Scripture that says a pastor's wife must be in subjection to her husband. 1 Timothy 3 says a pastor must have his children in subjection, but doesn't say that about his wife.

You're arguing against simple common sense. There are numerous principles throughout Scripture that outline standards for Christian women. I don't know why Paul singled out deacons' wives - maybe Timothy was having problems with the wives of that church's deacons. But those "qualifications" should apply to all women, not just to deacons's wives, and to all Christian men as well.

And continuing with your "show me the Scripture" mantra, where does Scripture say lust disqualifies a pastor? It's not specifically listed as a disqualification. Yes, lust is sin and the pastor should deal with it, as any man should. Scripture doesn't list lust - nor a whole host of other sins - as disqualifications. So, unless he manifests that lust or other sins outwardly, then the pastor is not disqualified.