• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Bus Ministry

• Administrators

Yep, sometimes Christians do over-work on Sunday...but I am of the firm belief that too many people use the Martha/Mary analogy to do nothing (not you, Suzi...I know how busy you are!). If Sunday being a day of rest means only that we aren't to bring anyone in to church - unless, of course, they are saved...Heaven forbid that we invite the lost to hear the gospel (tongue-in-cheek sarcasm here!), then the preacher is wrong!!! Anyone who has preached (I haven't, but my hubby has, so I know) can tell you that it's work! Yes, if the preacher is right with God the Holy Spirit will work through him. But the devil still fights.

Granted, that isn't the same level that you are referring to, Kita. And I agree that, if it overrides time spent listening to preaching/teaching, it is wrong. But, really, where does the Bible delineate exactly how much time on Sunday is to be spent in listening? It doesn't. However, it does talk about people meeting daily. Do we do that? No.

Yes, Sunday is to be a day of rest. But does that mean to do nothing? No. On the contrary, it means to rest in the Lord. Frankly, being in my Sunday School class with my kids is very resting. I love those kids and I love the opportunities I have to share God's Word with them. There is one boy on my mind as I write this. He chose (why, I don't know!) to come back into our class this past year rather than go on to 4th grade. He is a bit slow, but so sweet. He sometimes doesn't pay attention very well, but when one of us sits near him, he's as good as gold. And in the past few weeks, I've noticed a change in him. He laughs when things are funny. He's very serious when he should be. Progress!! And he's a bus kid. A bus kid who, if we were to do away with the bus ministry because it's work might just end up in Hell. I don't believe he's yet come to the understanding of why he needs to be saved, but if he continues coming to church, and he continues getting visits by those who love him, who spend time talking with him about the Lord, I believe he will get saved.

The Bible does not forbid a bus ministry. Nor a Sunday School ministry. Nor meeting only on Sunday a.m., Sunday night and midweek. It doesn't condone any of them, either. It's up to the pastor and the congregation to decide whether or not they will do all of that. Tradition in American Christianity dictates certain things (service times, days, etc)...that doesn't make them wrong if God's Word is being followed while keeping to those traditions.

(irishman - I agree wholeheartedly with the idea behind your verse posting...but I'm reminded of the kid we had to permanently ban because he brought a gun to church...and no-one knew about it until during the Sunday a.m. service when he brought it out...no repentance on his part, no regret for anything but being caught. Several years later, he was allowed to come back...only to be caught seducing a girl. Sometimes people just don't want God or Christianity...)

• Members

I totally know what you are saying HC. There are aspects of the large bus ministries I disagree with (such as going on crazy trips or doing crazy stuff at the church on Sunday, I feel Saturday is a better day for things like that) but of course I do not disagree with a bus ministry. I just feel it should be done decently and in order....and like you said, each church should decide for itself what it can handle, and what "decently and in order" means for them.

We are not of the opinion that we don't want bus kids on our property and no fingerprints on the walls and all that...but we do think kids should at least be manageable and until churches have enough competent workers to handle the unmanageable ones (meaning either every teacher gets a helper, or having someone man a "bad room") then its not always feasible for churches to allow just anyone and everyone to come on the bus. And its not fair to make people who are totally willing to teach a class (but has trouble forcing bad ones to behave) have to go through that. Many people are sacrificing to teach Sunday School without also having to work up a sweat doing it, unless they actually "signed up" for that to begin with....

Just thoughts. *shrug*

• Administrators

I totally know what you are saying HC. There are aspects of the large bus ministries I disagree with (such as going on crazy trips or doing crazy stuff at the church on Sunday, I feel Saturday is a better day for things like that) but of course I do not disagree with a bus ministry. I just feel it should be done decently and in order....and like you said, each church should decide for itself what it can handle, and what "decently and in order" means for them.

We are not of the opinion that we don't want bus kids on our property and no fingerprints on the walls and all that...but we do think kids should at least be manageable and until churches have enough competent workers to handle the unmanageable ones (meaning either every teacher gets a helper, or having someone man a "bad room") then its not always feasible for churches to allow just anyone and everyone to come on the bus. And its not fair to make people who are totally willing to teach a class (but has trouble forcing bad ones to behave) have to go through that. Many people are sacrificing to teach Sunday School without also having to work up a sweat doing it, unless they actually "signed up" for that to begin with....

Just thoughts. *shrug*

I think we are more in agreement than disagreement. :icon_mrgreen: Except for Sunday activities, but that's been covered in a different thread. :lol: But I absolutely agree that if people are doing anything in church (that means even a janitor) and it takes away from their personal relationship with the Lord (you know, doing for the Lord, and not taking the time to be with the Lord...), it will harm them, their family and ultimately the church. That is why the man of each house has to decide how "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!" And that decision needs to be made after prayer and meditation...and not done just because of pressure applied!

• Members

God has really blessed our church with some great folks. We have a man in our church who is a pilot, and he has access to several small planes. On a special bus day he flew over the church playground where all the bud kids were and dropped candy from the sky on them. They loved it. :)

• Administrators

God has really blessed our church with some great folks. We have a man in our church who is a pilot, and he has access to several small planes. On a special bus day he flew over the church playground where all the bud kids were and dropped candy from the sky on them. They loved it. :)

That's neat!

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I didnt read all the replies to this thread, but I want to say that I work on the Bus route in my church. We have had to suspend some children in the past for bad behavior. We normally pick up about 25 on one of our 2 buses, and we just cannot have kids acting terribly on the bus. We understand that A LOT of bus kids have bad home lives... so, we try our best to give them compassion, but theres that point where you have to put your foot down. Hope this helps. :)

• Members

I didnt read all the replies to this thread, but I want to say that I work on the Bus route in my church. We have had to suspend some children in the past for bad behavior. We normally pick up about 25 on one of our 2 buses, and we just cannot have kids acting terribly on the bus. We understand that A LOT of bus kids have bad home lives... so, we try our best to give them compassion, but theres that point where you have to put your foot down. Hope this helps. :)

I agree, but some will not.