• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members

*insert laugh track*

I think Invicta was referring to the implied mocking.

Onward, while perhaps not conclusive for everyone, there is good reason to view week 70 as continuous with week 69, just as each previous week was. There is nothing in Scripture that I've noticed, or read here, that indicates God means anything other than a literal, continuous 70 weeks. Not even a hint that the 70th week isn't literal as are the other 69.

• Members

Please support that from Scripture.

Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy Holy City, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

1. Sin has not ended in Israel.
2. Israel has not been reconciled to Jesus.
3. Righteousness has not come on earth.
4. All prophecy has not been fulfilled.
5. Jesus has not been anointed king.
Therefore the 70th week has not been completed.

• Members

Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy Holy City, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.
That prophecy is a concise & unconditional statement of the saving work of Jesus at Calvary. It is then detailed in the following verses.

1. Sin has not ended in Israel.
Repe
nt
ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be bl
ot
ted out,

2. Israel has not been reconciled to Jesus.
Rom. 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

3. Righteousness has not come on earth.
Rom. 3:22 Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ u
nt
o all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

4. All prophecy has not been fulfilled.
Luke 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel:

Then he said u
nt
o them, O fools, and slow of heart to believe all that the prophets have spoken:

Ought n
ot
Christ to have suffered these things, and to e
nt
er i
nt
o his glory?

And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded u
nt
o them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

5. Jesus has not been anointed king.
Luke 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anoi
nt
ed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath se
nt
me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Acts 4:
The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.

For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anoi
nt
ed, b
ot
h Herod, and Po
nt
ius Pilate, with the Ge
nt
iles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,

For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

Heb. 1:
But u
nt
o the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anoi
nt
ed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Therefore the 70th week has not been completed.
You are like the rebellious Jews - still waiting for the One who came according to prophecy.

• Members

Onward, while perhaps not conclusive for everyone, there is good reason to view week 70 as continuous with week 69, just as each previous week was. There is nothing in Scripture that I've noticed, or read here, that indicates God means anything other than a literal, continuous 70 weeks. Not even a hint that the 70th week isn't literal as are the other 69.

Except for all the reasons that have already been listed of course.

• Members

Except for all the reasons that have already been listed of course.

I've seen nothing put forth where God says there will be 70 weeks, but He doesn't mean 70 actual, literal weeks, He means 69 actual, literal weeks, to be followed by an undetermined plethora of weeks, until at some point we reach a time that will be called the 70th week even though it's not actually the 70th week.

Why are we to believe the literal number of days in the creation account is accurate, why do you believe the 1,000 years to be literal, but you don't see the 70 weeks as literal even though they are clearly stated as if literal and the previous 69 weeks were clearly literal?

• Members

1. The things following the 70 weeks have not been fulfilled.
2. The things that are supposed to happen during the 70th week have not occurred.

The above are facts that have not been refuted and they prove that the 70 weeks have not been fulfilled.

The x-factor is the fact that God changed programs and started dealing primarily with the Gentiles and instituted the church. This was a previously unknown mystery revealed only to Paul. This is why God chose to delay the 70th week, because it concerns Israel - not the Gentiles.

• Members

1. The things following the 70 weeks have not been fulfilled.
2. The things that are supposed to happen during the 70th week have not occurred.

The above are facts that have not been refuted and they prove that the 70 weeks have not been fulfilled.

The x-factor is the fact that God changed programs and started dealing primarily with the Gentiles and instituted the church. This was a previously unknown mystery revealed only to Paul. This is why God chose to delay the 70th week, because it concerns Israel - not the Gentiles.

That was God's plan all along so it's not like it came as a surpise to Him and he had to hold off on another plan of His that failed to work out.

• Members

I agree that nothing surprises God, but now we're starting to go into the realm of what was God's plan and what was not. We can't know for sure either way. It certainly wasn't God's intention for Adam to sin and fall; though He knew it would happen and was prepared for it. Christ's offer was heartfelt and His rejection was painful, remember the end Matthew 23 where Jesus claims that it was His will to gather Israel together to Him. Christ's will was vetoed by man's free will.

Regardless, the 70 weeks are for Israel, they have not been fulfilled, that's all we really know. One could theorize that if they had accepted Christ after Calvary there would be no need for a gap, but once again that's starting to go down the road of the hypothetical.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Indeed. Rick had nothing to add to the discussion so added a sarcastic remark Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

• Members

Kinda like you taking a swing at the founding fathers?

There's plenty more sarcasm where that one came from.

By the way, sarcasm is found all throughout the Bible, and is even used by God the Father and Jesus Christ - so I wouldn't knock it too much.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Kinda like you taking a swing at the founding fathers?

There's plenty more sarcasm where that one came from.

By the way, sarcasm is found all throughout the Bible, and is even used by God the Father and Jesus Christ - so I wouldn't knock it too much.

Touché. I intended my comment about the "founding fathers" as lighthearted, sorry if you took offence. Edited by Invicta

• Members

I agree that nothing surprises God, but now we're starting to go into the realm of what was God's plan and what was not. We can't know for sure either way. It certainly wasn't God's intention for Adam to sin and fall; though He knew it would happen and was prepared for it. Christ's offer was heartfelt and His rejection was painful, remember the end Matthew 23 where Jesus claims that it was His will to gather Israel together to Him. Christ's will was vetoed by man's free will.

Regardless, the 70 weeks are for Israel, they have not been fulfilled, that's all we really know. One could theorize that if they had accepted Christ after Calvary there would be no need for a gap, but once again that's starting to go down the road of the hypothetical.

Why can't we know God's plan? He shares it with us throughout Scripture. Before the foundation of the world God knew exactly how everything would go and set forth His plan accordingly. His plan is consistent from beginning to end.