• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Sexy Churches

• Members
Enlarged March 20, 2011 (first published February 18, 2008) (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article)-

The Seeker Sensitive philosophy says we must offer people what they want in a church; they should feel comfortable and be entertained and their “felt needs” must be addressed. The latest attraction is to feature “red hot” conversations on sex.

CHARLOTTE SOUTH FELLOWSHIP IN MATHEWS, NORTH CAROLINA, featured a five week series in February 2007 called “Sex Crazy.” Two of the messages were “Single and Sexually Satisfied” and “Raising Sexually Satisfied Kids.” One person who listened to one of these sermons testified: “After reading that there was an entire sermon on ‘Being single and sexually satisfied’ (huh?), against my better judgment, I downloaded the sermon to listen to while doing my morning cleaning. It has been a long time since I’ve heard such wishy-washy, pointless, worldly, shallow fluff. In fact, I was left with the same sickening pit in my stomach I always had after services at the ‘seeker-friendly’ church I went to. This guy quoted
Cosmo magazine more than the Bible (I’m not sure he even quoted the Bible, now that I think of it). He never once (that I recall) mentioned the name of Jesus Christ, never once said sex before marriage is a sin (it’s ‘not the best choice,’ but apparently it’s not a sin). And most disturbing, the dude said it was not his job to exhort people to stay virgins until marriage! I couldn't bring myself to listen to ‘Raising sexually satisfied kids.’ I’ll assume that was a poor choice of wording, but it still gives me the creeps” (http://www.alittleleaven.com/2007/11/sex-crazy.html).

In February-March 2007 EASTLAKE COMMUNITY CHURCH IN KIRKLAND, WASHINGTON, had a “Thank God for Sex” campaign. Sermons titles included “Sex is Good” and “Learn Some New Moves.” Eastlake advertises itself as a new kind of church and invites attendees to wear their shorts.

View the full article

• Members

There have been a few churches in this area that have used sex to try and gain attention and boost attendance.

True enough, God invented sex and the Bible discusses sex. Properly (biblically) preached and taught, there is nothing wrong with the subject of sex being addressed in church...in fact, it should be biblically addressed when appropriate.

However, to use sexual inuendo, sexual titilation, and worldly sexual images in order to draw a crowd so they can have their sexual curiosity filled, is not biblical.

Too many churches have taken on the worldly attitude regarding sex. While some still say not having sex before marriage is best, they then proclaim that since teens are going to have sex anyway they might as well teach good ways to do so! :smilie_loco:4 Apparently they don't believe the God fo the Bible is able to help teens, and other singles, to resist sexual temptations so they might as well just give in.

Sex in marriage is wonderful. Nothing wrong with mentioning such. Yet most of the churches that have their "sex series sermons" go well beyond that into discussing various detailed aspects of sex even to the point of discussing what some would consider to be "kinky" and then saying that virtually anything a couple decides to do sexually is just fine.

Of course there are some churches which ere in the other direction and fail to instruct on matters of sex at all. This is wrong, but the answer is not to bring worldly sex talks into the church. The answer, as always, is to preach and teach what Scripture says on the matter.

• Members

Advertising folks know that "sex sells." What better way to "brand" a church than by adopting the same advertising methods.

Indeed, this is a great worldly practice. Let us act like the world so we may attract the world and conduct ourselves in a worldly manner together!

How long before they bring in the temple prostitutes?

• Members

This stuff doesn't surprise me. When a ministry gives out goat pellets, it's going to attract goats. After awhile, all the sheep will find better pasture and all you'll be left with is goats. When all you have is goats, all you can feed them is goat pellets.

If I were a pastor, I'd rather have a few sheep than a whole bunch of goats.

Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

This stuff doesn't surprise me. When a ministry gives out goat pellets, it's going to attract goats. After awhile, all the sheep will find better pasture and all you'll be left with is goats. When all you have is goats, all you can feed them is goat pellets.

If I were a pastor, I'd rather have a few sheep than a whole bunch of goats.

Unfortunately there are many pastors who themselves are goats. Unsaved pastors seem to be more comman than saved. Preaching worldly messages to a worldly crowd fits them just fine.

• Members

Unfortunately there are many pastors who themselves are goats. Unsaved pastors seem to be more comman than saved. Preaching worldly messages to a worldly crowd fits them just fine.

We need some goat and sheep emoticons. They would work perfectly for this discussion, as well as any discussion regarding Matthew 25. Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Ge 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

I feel many of these churches spoken about in that article are only man made churches, so what can be expected out of them, and or churches that has been taken over by a pastors that are neck deep in sin, perhaps even lost. We have no such example of such teaching or preaching in the New Testament, so doing as they're doing, they cannot follow Christ.

• Members

We are so much in need of Christ centered churches today as it seems more and more are "me centered".

Rather than churches teaching how are to give up our desires for His will, they teach their idea of how we can all be happy, live well and get the most out of life for ourselves.

Pastors are preaching health, wealth, sex and a plush retirement. This is just what people want to hear and they flock to this.

Those pastors who preach the Word, sacrifice, persecution, servanthood, giving, contentment in all things, putting off our selves and taking on Christ, most often find themselves preaching to a small group. Itching ears don't get tickled by these preachers!

Thanks be to God for the faithful remnant of Christ following pastors who preach the whole Word of God! :bible:

• Members

I laughed when I read this, but it's utterly damnable and abominable: " In his message on “Creative Sex” Pastor Gary Lamb said things that cannot be quoted."

Ugh. :-( I'm reminded of the wonderful Mister Mark Driscoll. If you don't know who he is, that's good; you don't want to...
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

Whooooo! Hallelujah!

Revelation 19:1 And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God:

I won't have to put up with this earthly perversion in heaven...Amen!
One thing I'm sure of they won't be exercising this doctrine in heaven.

Whooooo! Hallelujah!