• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Teaching 3rd and 4th Graders

• Members

So I've regularly taught old people (Nursing home), black people (Papua New Guinea), poor people (Rescue Mission), and young people (Teenagers); but now I've been tossed to the scariest group of all:

3rd and 4th grade bus kids.

New experience for me, I'd love some advice.

• Members

Myself, when I'm faced with such situations I first take it to the Lord in prayer and ask for wisdom, discernment and understanding and for the Holy Ghost to lead me in the right direction. Next, my method might seem to be "playing it by ear", but my ear is attuned to the Spirit for direction.

Especially when dealing with young children their ability, their openness, what appeals to them, can greatly differ. Getting a feel for the particular children one is dealing with, and relying upon the Spirit's guidance, most often provides the insight we need to set the course.

Remember, we don't have to have it all figured out from the beginning. There is nothing wrong with taking a bit of time to get the feel of things and then formulate your plan based upon some initial experience with the children.

• Members

I was teaching the little kids, 2nd and 3rd graders, and they were pretty easy. I just did a story like "Donna's Missionary Offering," "Barney's Barrel," (I just found out you can look those up online, the copies I have are like 30 years old) etc. I'm really looking forward to these ones, because I know we can actually have a little more substance in the lessons with their understanding being a little deeper than the little guys.

• Members

I was teaching the little kids, 2nd and 3rd graders, and they were pretty easy. I just did a story like "Donna's Missionary Offering," "Barney's Barrel," (I just found out you can look those up online, the copies I have are like 30 years old) etc. I'm really looking forward to these ones, because I know we can actually have a little more substance in the lessons with their understanding being a little deeper than the little guys.

I love this age group (I've taught 3rd, 4th or 5th probably for 20+ years). And yes, they are ready for more substance. Each year, the groups of course are a little different. Last year, the children loved doing plays. Basically, I typed up parts for each character (stayed with the scripture of course). For example the Mary and Martha lesson is a good one for parts. After our "play", we read the scripture, talked about we'd read & let them ask questions. This year however, the group is not really interested in participating in that manner. So, I usually start with a learning activity, have Bible Time, etc. The one thing I learned many years ago is that I'm not there just to teach them the Bible, but teach them (through God's Word) how to live the Christian life. I want them to know what being "worldly" is versus living a life for Christ. Many times children come into class with seemingly a lot of different "stuff" on their minds (sports for one). So sometimes it's a challenge to have them turn their thoughts to the Bible & focus on what God wants us to learn for that day. There are some that understand living the christian life, some that really take it all in & learn and then those it is a bit of a challenge. Good Luck!

• Members

I love this age group (I've taught 3rd, 4th or 5th probably for 20+ years). And yes, they are ready for more substance. Each year, the groups of course are a little different. Last year, the children loved doing plays. Basically, I typed up parts for each character (stayed with the scripture of course). For example the Mary and Martha lesson is a good one for parts. After our "play", we read the scripture, talked about we'd read & let them ask questions. This year however, the group is not really interested in participating in that manner. So, I usually start with a learning activity, have Bible Time, etc. The one thing I learned many years ago is that I'm not there just to teach them the Bible, but teach them (through God's Word) how to live the Christian life. I want them to know what being "worldly" is versus living a life for Christ. Many times children come into class with seemingly a lot of different "stuff" on their minds (sports for one). So sometimes it's a challenge to have them turn their thoughts to the Bible & focus on what God wants us to learn for that day. There are some that understand living the christian life, some that really take it all in & learn and then those it is a bit of a challenge. Good Luck!

Great approach! It's very good that you are taking the time to make the Word practical for them. One of the reasons so many who once attended Sunday school are no longer in church is because they spent years in Sunday school hearing a handful of stories over and over again. To them, the Bible is about a few stories with little or no connection, and with no relevance to their lives.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm not sure if I came too late, but getting their attention and keeping it is key! I know a guy who had a ball, and everytime he threw it, he told the kids to scream. Every few minutes he threw it to get their attention back :)