• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Scriptural distinctions between the nation of Israel & the "Church"

• Members

This thread is for the defining of Israel and the current position of NT believers and discussion of the scriptural passages dealing with each. In this opening post I hope to express some of the similarities, and yet point out that there are clear differences. I do not feel the scriptures support the idea that the church has "replaced" Israel.

First I will start with a couple of their similarities.

Israel is God's chosen people. NT believers are God's chosen people.
Specific promises were made to Israel. Specific promises have been made to NT believers.
Abraham was the physical father of the nation of Israel. Abraham is a spiritual father of NT Christianity.

Now for a couple differences.

The nation of Israel rejected Christ in unbelief. NT believers accept Christ in faith.
The fullness of God's blessing departed from Israel. The blessing came upon NT Christianity and Gentiles were "grafted in".
Blindness came upon Israel.(till the fullness of the gentiles come in) Any NT Christian has the opportunity for spiritual sight.

Now where the confusion starts for some is the many scriptural parallels drawn between the physical and the spiritual. For example lets take this passage:

Romans 9:1-8 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart. For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen. Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all ° Israel, which are of Israel: Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

Passages like this, when it is not compared to other scriptures, is where replacement theology comes from.

Here is another one that I will discuss a bit:

"Galatians 4:22- 31 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free."

Now before you decide this is proof that God is done with the nation of Israel lets look at what God said about the son of the bondwoman.

"Genesis 21:12-20 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called. And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed. And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and took bread, and a bottle of water, and gave it unto Hagar, putting it on her shoulder, and the child, and sent her away: and she departed, and wandered in the wilderness of Beersheba. And the water was spent in the bottle, and she cast the child under one of the shrubs. And she went, and sat her down over against him a good way off, as it were a bowshot: for she said, Let me not see the death of the child. And she sat over against him, and lift up her voice, and wept. And God heard the voice of the lad; and the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said unto her, What aileth thee, Hagar? fear not; for God hath heard the voice of the lad where he is. Arise, lift up the lad, and hold him in thine hand; for I will make him a great nation. And God opened her eyes, and she saw a well of water; and she went, and filled the bottle with water, and gave the lad drink. And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer."

The son of the bondwoman is still of the seed of Abraham in one sense, and God isn't finished with that son just because he has been cast out as can be seen here. The very name which God commanded he be given is a testament to that fact. The name "Ishmael" means essentially "God will hear". Notice that even while God is directing Ishmael to be cast out he is not sending him out to be destroyed or forgotten, and promises Abraham that he will make a nation out of Ishmael too even though Ishmael is the child of the flesh and Isaac is the child of the promise. Now we see from scripture that Abraham is a picture of faith, Hagar is a picture of the law, Ishmael is a picture of Israel after the flesh, and we know that bread is a picture of God's provision, and that water is a picture of the Word of God. Israel was cast out when they rejected Christ as the messiah, and metaphorically speaking they were sent forth with the Law, God's provision, and a limited amount of God's word. God's provision for Israel did not run out, but his word to Israel did, rather like the plumbline Amos saw the Lord set in the midst of the house of Israel in the seventh chapter of that book. As the water ran out Israel after the flesh withdrew from the law a certain distance, they are forced to ignore certain requirements like certain sacrifices because they have no temple. Nevertheless even though Israel after the flesh is nearly dead spiritually without the water of the Word of God one day the Lord God will hear their voice, the valley of dry bones will live, the angel of the Lord will bring back the Law to Israel after the flesh, for a season at least(the water was once again placed in a bottle), and once again they will have the water of the Word of God. God will be with them but they will be in the wilderness, which is a picture of solitude(post rapture), and they will be spiritually strong warriors for the Lord.

Of course that is just one passage of an OT "ensample" given unto us and scripture is full of teaching on the subject.

Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

I want to thank you :D I did find a counter to your statement; but, I decided to read Revelation before I posted it (I read most of it, I skimmed through 21-22). I now think you were right about Israel being separate from the church. (So I won't post that part.) (Though I still don't agree with dispensationalism at this point I think.) But I don't think you are right about Ishmael being a en-sample for Israel.

Because
Ge 17:19 And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.
Ge 17:20 And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee: Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful, and will multiply him exceedingly; twelve princes shall he beget, and I will make him a great nation.
Ge 17:21 But my covenant will I establish with Isaac, which Sarah shall bear unto thee at this set time in the next year.

Ge 21:12 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Ge 21:13 And also of the son of the bondwoman will I make a nation, because he is thy seed.

And these are the names of the sons of Ishmael, by their names, according to their generations: the firstborn of Ishmael, Nebajoth; and Kedar, and Adbeel, and Mibsam,
Ge 25:14 And Mishma, and Dumah, and Massa,
Ge 25:15 Hadar, and Tema, Jetur, Naphish, and Kedemah:
Ge 25:16 These are the sons of Ishmael, and these are their names, by their towns, and by their castles; twelve princes according to their nations.

I believe the promise was fulfilled in that.

(EDIT: Not sure about Israel being separate anymore..:puzzled3:)

Edited by Nathaniel

• Members

The problem of relating unbelieving Israel to Ishmael, & God's promises to Abraham concerning him is that the NT writers do not. Paul writes:

Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

He has previously said Gal 3:26 ¶ For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

That certainly gives a clear distinction between unbelieving Israel & the church - the church comprising believing Jew & Gentile as one people of God in Christ.

• Members

The problem of relating unbelieving Israel to Ishmael, & God's promises to Abraham concerning him is that the NT writers do not. Paul writes:

Gal 4:30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.

He has previously said Gal 3:26 ¶ For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise

That certainly gives a clear distinction between unbelieving Israel & the church - the church comprising believing Jew & Gentile as one people of God in Christ.

I agree that believing Jews and gentiles make up the "church" today, however just because "the bondwoman and her son" have been cast out(the Law and unbelieving Israel) that does not mean that God is finished with either yet.

Romans 11:25-29 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

There is no doubt Paul is speaking of unbelieving Israel in that passage, and there is equally no doubt he is speaking of a time after the rapture, when " the fulness of the Gentiles" is come in and God begins for a time to work with the nation of Israel as he did in the OT. Zechariah chapter 12-14 speak of this future as well:

Zechariah 12:6-10 In that day, saith the LORD, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness. And the governors of Judah shall say in their heart, The inhabitants of Jerusalem shall be my strength in the LORD of hosts their God. In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place, even in Jerusalem. The LORD also shall save the tents of Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem do not magnify themselves against Judah. In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them. And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced , and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

"Zechariah 14:1-5 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee."

Those two passages speak of God beginning to work with the nation of Israel again, after the end of the "church age". Christ will return suddenly with all his saints to deliver Israel from their enemies in the midst of great trouble and at that point Israel will look upon the one that they pierced and will understand.

And again the book of Daniel touches on the subject:

"Daniel 12: 1-4 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

This speaks of the time after the rapture, where Michael, the archangel specifically charged with the care of the nation of Israel, is directed by God to begin dealings with Israel again. This is most likely the same angel God speaks of in the book of exodus.

Exodus 23:20-23 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared. Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him. But if thou shalt indeed obey his voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries. For mine Angel shall go before thee, and bring thee in unto the Amorites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Canaanites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites: and I will cut them off. Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

I agree that believing Jews and gentiles make up the "church" today, however just because "the bondwoman and her son" have been cast out(the Law and unbelieving Israel) that does not mean that God is finished with either yet.

Romans 11:25-29 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers sakes. For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

There is no doubt Paul is speaking of unbelieving Israel in that passage, and there is equally no doubt he is speaking of a time after the rapture, when " the fulness of the Gentiles" is come in and God begins for a time to work with the nation of Israel as he did in the OT. Zechariah chapter 12-14 speak of this future as well:

I do not believe this is talking about " a time after the rapture," but a time just before the dead in Christ are raised and that it refers to Jews repenting of their sin and turning to Christ.

Zechariah 12:6-10 In that day, saith the LORD, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness. And the governors of Judah shall say in their heart, The inhabitants of Jerusalem shall be my strength in the LORD of hosts their God. In that day will I make the governors of Judah like an hearth of fire among the wood, and like a torch of fire in a sheaf; and they shall devour all the people round about, on the right hand and on the left: and Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place, even in Jerusalem. The LORD also shall save the tents of Judah first, that the glory of the house of David and the glory of the inhabitants of Jerusalem do not magnify themselves against Judah. In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them. And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced , and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

"Zechariah 14:1-5 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee. For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city. Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee."

Those two passages speak of God beginning to work with the nation of Israel again, after the end of the "church age". Christ will return suddenly with all his saints to deliver Israel from their enemies in the midst of great trouble and at that point Israel will look upon the one that they pierced and will understand.

And again the book of Daniel touches on the subject:

"Daniel 12: 1-4 And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book. And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased."

I believe that tis refers to the believing Jews who followed the word of the Lord and fled Jerusalem when they saw Jerusalem surrounded by armies. The tribulation of those days was a time of trouble such as never was, because it was all self inflicted. The Jews rebelled against the legitimate government, and were fighting the Romans, and apart from the believers rejected the Lord's command to flee the city. It was such as never was, because the prince of the Romans was trying to save the city and the temple, but those inside the city were separated into at least three factions, and more Jews were killed by their fellow countrymen than by the Romans. Men who had recently worn the vestments of the high priesthood were killed and their bodies thrown naked into the streets, and trampled upon, and not given the honour of a burial. No there never was a time of trouble "such as" that.

This speaks of the time after the rapture, where Michael, the archangel specifically charged with the care of the nation of Israel, is directed by God to begin dealings with Israel again. This is most likely the same angel God speaks of in the book of exodus.

Exodus 23:20-23 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared. Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him. But if thou shalt indeed obey his voice, and do all that I speak; then I will be an enemy unto thine enemies, and an adversary unto thine adversaries. For mine Angel shall go before thee, and bring thee in unto the Amorites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Canaanites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites: and I will cut them off.

That was a conditional promise, note the word if. The Jews did not keep their side of the bargain.

• Members

Well Invicta, your entitled to believe what ever you want but I feel your views are avoiding the most obvious and straightforward meaning in order to end up with the view you want. Sort of like the jews today who will deny even the plainest OT prophecies of Christ because it doesn't fit their existing views. I agree that Exodus 23:20-23 was a conditional promise, indeed we see as much in Judges 2: 1-4. That is about the only thing you posted that I agree with though.

Edited by Seth-Doty

• Members

Well Invicta, your entitled to believe what ever you want but I feel your views are avoiding the most obvious and straightforward meaning in order to end up with the view you want. Sort of like the jews today who will deny even the plainest OT prophecies of Christ because it doesn't fit their existing views. I agree that Exodus 23:20-23 was a conditional promise, indeed we see as much in Judges 2: 1-4. That is about the only thing you posted that I agree with though.

I came across this recently, and it seems there be many that hold to such teachings.

“The common belief today, which is the belief of postmillennialists, is that the Gospel is to be preached to all nations, until the whole world shall be converted to Christ, and then shall follow a universal reign of righteousness and peace, called the Millennium, followed by a short season of awful wickedness and apostasy, to close which Christ shall come, and there shall be a simultaneous resurrection of the righteous and the wicked to be instantly followed by a general judgment; that the world is then to be destroyed by fire, that Christ shall then surrender up all to God, and that God shall then be all in all.” By Clarence Larkin (1850-1924)

• Members

I came across this recently, and it seems there be many that hold to such teachings.

“The common belief today, which is the belief of postmillennialists, is that the Gospel is to be preached to all nations, until the whole world shall be converted to Christ, and then shall follow a universal reign of righteousness and peace, called the Millennium, followed by a short season of awful wickedness and apostasy, to close which Christ shall come, and there shall be a simultaneous resurrection of the righteous and the wicked to be instantly followed by a general judgment; that the world is then to be destroyed by fire, that Christ shall then surrender up all to God, and that God shall then be all in all.” By Clarence Larkin (1850-1924)

That's one view I don't see as having any merit at all. There is no evidence, no signs, nothing to point to the idea that all will convert to Christ and man will be able to usher in a thousand years of peace.

This is actually the view many rabid northern abolitionist and others in New England held to and they believed if they not only eradicated slavery in America, but if they punished those they saw as supporting slavery, then peace on earth would soon be established by them.

• Members

That's one view I don't see as having any merit at all. There is no evidence, no signs, nothing to point to the idea that all will convert to Christ and man will be able to usher in a thousand years of peace.

This is actually the view many rabid northern abolitionist and others in New England held to and they believed if they not only eradicated slavery in America, but if they punished those they saw as supporting slavery, then peace on earth would soon be established by them.

Many views have no merit, when you actually compare them to the Bible. In fact the teachings of many churches have no merit, when compared to the Bible. And it just shows how much influence the old Devil actually has over many people.

• Members

Many views have no merit, when you actually compare them to the Bible. In fact the teachings of many churches have no merit, when compared to the Bible. And it just shows how much influence the old Devil actually has over many people.

I am not sure if you are associating my views with all of this.

I do not believe that the church has replaced Israel, but that is grafted in to Israel, and that one day many Jews will be grafted in.

I aalso do not agree that the Church and Israel will separate for ever.

Ro 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Ro 11:19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
Ro 11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
Ro 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

I believe those scriptures and I think no interpretation is needed.

• Members

I am not sure if you are associating my views with all of this.

I do not believe that the church has replaced Israel, but that is grafted in to Israel, and that one day many Jews will be grafted in.

I aalso do not agree that the Church and Israel will separate for ever.

Ro 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Ro 11:19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
Ro 11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
Ro 11:24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

I believe those scriptures and I think no interpretation is needed.

That is what I think too.

• Members

This is in accord with the pre-mil, pre-trib teaching which says two-thirds of Jews will die during the Tribulation but then the remaining third will accept Christ.

I wasn't aware of that. I'm just going with what I believe scripture says at the moment. I also don't know where the two-thirds thing is coming from. I'm basing it on (Ro 11) (Re 7:4) I also don't believe in pre-trib at the moment (I haven't found at least that I remember scripture that I think supports it at this moment. If anyone wants to show me some scripture on any thing besides distinctions between the nation of Israel & the "Church" (Though you can post that too :D But I think it probably would do more good here; as it is the main discussion on this forum.) feel free post it on my topic on Revelation :D. (I don't want to takeover this forum) Edited by Nathaniel

• Members

I wasn't aware of that. I'm just going with what I believe scripture says at the moment. I also don't know where the two-thirds thing is coming from. I'm basing it on (Ro 11) (Re 7:4)

It comes from Zechariah 13:8-9 and a understanding of the surrounding Chapters which contain prophecy both fulfilled in the time of Christ at his first coming(for example Zechariah 13:7 is explicitly quoted by Christ in relation to his death) and prophecy yet to be fulfilled. Prophecy frequently has a way of jumping around between the first and second coming of the Lord, sometimes even in mid verse. Edited by Seth-Doty