• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Great IFB Men

• Members

Never forget though that many times those who are used mightily of God are the men and women who are willing to sacrifice the most for Him. This isn't meant to glorify the person, but rather to give an example of what it takes to be used of God.

As far as glory goes, I think all of agree that we'd rather be humbled to get our glory up in Heaven at the Judgment Seat of Christ as our Lord gives us a crown for service, than to receive the cheap praise of men.

Some of the people that will be getting the most rewards in Heaven are little old ladies who pray for the big guns that get all the praise of men.

Never forget though that many times those who are used mightily of God are the men and women who are willing to sacrifice the most for Him. This isn't meant to glorify the person, but rather to give an example of what it takes to be used of God.

As far as glory goes, I think all of agree that we'd rather be humbled to get our glory up in Heaven at the Judgment Seat of Christ as our Lord gives us a crown for service, than to receive the cheap praise of men.

Some of the people that will be getting the most rewards in Heaven are little old ladies who pray for the big guns that get all the praise of men.

I would give that an Amen.

• Members

All true, but what one man thinks exalts a preacher may be praise to His God, since it is very basic knowledge that the Lord does the work, and not the man. I am not trying to make a big issue of this, because we believe the same in it, but just wondered if it was directed at anyone in particular since it is common knowledge that it's all of the Lord, and not of man. I have heard people say that some "worship" so-and-so, and put him on a pedestal, but perhaps he simply loves the preacher as well as the Lord of the preacher. If I wee to talk about my preacher, and the great man of God he is, some would no doubt accuse me of exulting him too highly; it is because I think highly of him because I know the Lord uses him greatly.

True enough, but I would say it is better to err on the side of caution. One thing to consider is that even if someone is doing right, God is using them, and you and others appreciate it it is easy to accidentally give them a swollen head of pride with profuse complements even if that wasn't your intention and they didn't want to go there either. For me personally, I prefer to give and receive complements and encouragements that are are either very mild or very general. Blow by blow examples of how God used what someone else did, wrote, or said in your life are better without specific names attached most of the time unless there is a particularly good reason for doing so. Pastors in particular seem to have problems with this, on the one hand they get nasty letters or criticisms that are depressing, and on the other hand they get gushing letters about how God used them and profuse praise. The natural "defense" mechanism is to try to ignore the criticism and accept the complements which easily leads to a head swollen with pride; sometimes without the person even realizing it. Most people can get hit with pride pretty easily when complemented, but pastors hear things that can push them that way more often than most. Occupational hazard I suppose.