• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Is Dancing Always Wrong?

• Members

There is nothing wrong with dancing, per se. There are many different types of dancing. In church, I sometimes move to the music a bit, especially when I am holding my 18 month old, who loves to dance. So that would be more of a dancing unto the Lord as King David did. Though my dancing is not nearly as expressive as his was because no one has accused me of being drunk! haha.

Then there is "social dancing." ie. ballroom dancing, line dancing, square dancing, etc. I see nothing wrong with this either. I suspect that there was dancing at the wedding at Cana where Jesus turned water into wine (though the Bible does not say), it was customary for a wedding feast for there to be social dancing. I see nothing wrong with havinga good time at a social setting. Now I am not much of a dancer in these settings, but many people really enjoy it. I did once dance with an 80 year old woman who really new how to get down on the dance floor. That was trip. I must say she far outdanced me.

Then there is the dancing that is not wise to partake in. That is the grinding and sex dancing that goes on in the nightclub scene. There is no purpose in that type of dancing but sexual arousal, so no good can come of that.

• Members

No, it goes on in churches, and it seems some churches are teaching it, for instants.

A woman called me concerning a SBC Church a few years back. At the end of Vacation Bible school like most they had a program. She said in part it went this way.

The children of about 10 to 16 stood in front of the church, singing a song. They were dressed in tight jeans, shorts, and such. During the song they were swaying their hips back and forth, even turning their back to the congregation while doing this.

Later this program was shown on our local TV station and I watched it, what she said was true. I was quite amazed, after the dancing the pastor stood before the church telling how proud he was of their children, how Christ like they were.

One thing that I did not see that this lady did, the lust that was in the eyes of many of the men watching this event.

• Members

No, it goes on in churches, and it seems some churches are teaching it, for instants.

A woman called me concerning a SBC Church a few years back. At the end of Vacation Bible school like most they had a program. She said in part it went this way.

The children of about 10 to 16 stood in front of the church, singing a song. They were dressed in tight jeans, shorts, and such. During the song they were swaying their hips back and forth, even turning their back to the congregation while doing this.

Later this program was shown on our local TV station and I watched it, what she said was true. I was quite amazed, after the dancing the pastor stood before the church telling how proud he was of their children, how Christ like they were.

One thing that I did not see that this lady did, the lust that was in the eyes of many of the men watching this event.

I've got to respond to two things here. I cannot speak for the dancing that you saw, as I did not see it, but I have two statements:

I fail to see how, Biblically, you can say all dancing is wrong. Dancing is clearly used in worship throughout the Bible.

1. In response to God delivering Israel through the Red Sea, Moses and the nation responded in song in Exodus 15. There was much singing and dancing in response to what God did for them. “And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.” Exodus 15:20

2. WHen the nation of Israel recoverd the Arc and brought it back, there was much rejoicing, praise, music and dancing. 5And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals. Exodus 16:5. 14And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

15So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

16And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.

3. David also refers to dance as a form of worship in some of the Psalms he wrote. For example:

“Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.”

Psalm 149:3

“Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.”

Psalm 150:4

So I do not see how, Scripturally, you can say all dancing is wrong and all dancing is not appropriate in worship. When we gather in the name of Christ, and we lift our hearts in song, some people also lift their hands and dance in praise to our Creator.

Second, the other thing that bothers me about your statement is that men looked on children with lust. Really?!!? I have never known a man to do so. It does go on with pedophiles, but I cannot see how men in church could possibly look at children with lust. It makes me wonder if this woman had been abused as a child and has resentful feelings towards men. I don't know what the situation was, but to use that statement to say all dancing is wrong seems inapproriate to me. Normal people just do not think that way about children, and I am a bit bothered that this is what the woman you know immediately thought.

• Members

I've got to respond to two things here. I cannot speak for the dancing that you saw, as I did not see it, but I have two statements:

I fail to see how, Biblically, you can say all dancing is wrong. Dancing is clearly used in worship throughout the Bible.

1. In response to God delivering Israel through the Red Sea, Moses and the nation responded in song in Exodus 15. There was much singing and dancing in response to what God did for them. “And Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a timbrel in her hand; and all the women went out after her with timbrels and with dances.” Exodus 15:20

2. WHen the nation of Israel recoverd the Arc and brought it back, there was much rejoicing, praise, music and dancing. 5And David and all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments made of fir wood, even on harps, and on psalteries, and on timbrels, and on cornets, and on cymbals. Exodus 16:5. 14And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

15So David and all the house of Israel brought up the ark of the LORD with shouting, and with the sound of the trumpet.

16And as the ark of the LORD came into the city of David, Michal Saul's daughter looked through a window, and saw king David leaping and dancing before the LORD; and she despised him in her heart.

3. David also refers to dance as a form of worship in some of the Psalms he wrote. For example:

“Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.”

“Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.”

So I do not see how, Scripturally, you can say all dancing is wrong and all dancing is not appropriate in worship. When we gather in the name of Christ, and we lift our hearts in song, some people also lift their hands and dance in praise to our Creator.

Second, the other thing that bothers me about your statement is that men looked on children with lust. Really?!!? I have never known a man to do so. It does go on with pedophiles, but I cannot see how men in church could possibly look at children with lust. It makes me wonder if this woman had been abused as a child and has resentful feelings towards men. I don't know what the situation was, but to use that statement to say all dancing is wrong seems inapproriate to me. Normal people just do not think that way about children, and I am a bit bothered that this is what the woman you know immediately thought.

I've looked, but I don't see in that post where it was said that all dancing is wrong.

Not all dancing is wrong, but most dancing done today is wrong. Dancing done unto the Lord is done in a very different spirit than is most dancing today. The dress, music and style of dancing then was greatly different from most of what is seen today.

Unfortunately I've seen many churches attempt to spice up their programs and plays by incorporating worldy dance styles which are sexual in nature. While I've never heard or seen anyone lusting after children, I have heard and seen men lusting after those around 13 and older, as well as having heard women discussing sexual aspects about some of the girls in that age range. Of course, had the girls been dressed modestly and not performing sexually inspired "dance" moves, this likely would not have occured.

• Members

So are you saying that you support girls dressing in the manner I stated, swaying their hips back and forth with their backs turned to the congregation? You seemingly thinking this type of thing is OK in a Church bothers me very much. There is to many Christians with that mind set, while we are told this.

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

There is nothing modest about what I described. Yet you seem to defend it. By the way, I suggest to the woman who told me this that she ought to find herself another church, she did while never stepping foot back in that church.

Oh, and the other, I don't suppose you have ever seen a man's eyes glued to a immodest dressed female and the gleam that's in their eyes.

PS. Thank you John, its appreciated. Edited by Jerry80871852

• Members

So are you saying that you support girls dressing in the manner I stated, swaying their hips back and forth with their backs turned to the congregation? You seemingly thinking this type of thing is OK in a Church bothers me very much. There is to many Christians with that mind set, while we are told this.

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

There is nothing modest about what I described. Yet you seem to defend it. By the way, I suggest to the woman who told me this that she ought to find herself another church, she did while never stepping foot back in that church.

Oh, and the other, I don't suppose you have ever seen a man's eyes glued to a immodest dressed female and the gleam that's in their eyes.

PS. Thank you John, its appreciated.

No, I did not say that was ok. I can't really judge without having seen it..

I am sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I'm not defending or criticizing something I have not seen.

I took your post to mean all dancing is wrong. I cannot say that all dancing is wrong.

I did think this woman's comments are very strange. As I said, it is not normal for men to lust after children, even if they are immodestly dressed. That does not really become a danger until the high school age. But VBS children are too young for men to be lusting after. WHat I am saying is that I find it very strange that this woman interpreted what she saw as men lusting when it involved children. If that is the case, that church has very serious problems.

I do think dancing in church can be appropriate. One of our associate pastors is African American, and when the music goes, he dances unto the Lord. It is quite moving and beautiful to see. He does not dance in a flashy way, but in a way that exalts the Lord and moves others to worship as well. Edited by kindofblue1977

• Members

Allow me to throw my views into the ring. I apologize for not having done so sooner; unfortunately, in terms of Online things, I have been slacking off lately. I will try to present a Biblical and right view. Thank you for reading.

First, the simple question: is dancing always wrong? No. Simply, no. Dancing was not looked on as "evil" in Scripture; rather, I think just the opposite. Obviously, for married, we can agree that it is not evil; for unmarried, I do not believe so either. Depending, of course, upon what kind of dancing is going on. For example, I have seen in movies set in the 1800s, where unmarried couples would be dancing. There was nothing dirty or wrong about it. It can be, yes; many things can be "made" evil. We humans are quite good at that...

On the issue of music, since it has come up: I have heard people say that drums are evil. This is not supported in Scripture whatsoever. Christian Contemporary is evil (undoubtedly, some [much?] is, but not because of the music itself)...and so on, and so forth. None of this views can be backed by Scripture. They say, "You can't mix the devil's music with God." Yes, no doubt. But...what is the devil's music? Why should he get any of it? Shouldn't it be used for good and right purposes?

Allow me to quote Psalm 150: (Psalms 150 KJV) - "Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. {2} Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. {3} Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. {4} Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. {5} Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. {6} Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD."

Every type of instrument - including percussion - is included in this Psalm, to be used in praise to God. I listen to CCM on a daily basis, and it has not hindered by spiritual walk - it has done just the opposite. God has blessed me and moved me through what some would call "devil music" or some other interesting title. Without some of the songs, well...God has used these songs so, so, so much in my life. It has helped keep me going through these two difficult, past years.

Well, I probably didn't do a very good job, but there you go. I hope it will make you think. Thanks for reading.
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

• Members

No, I did not say that was ok. I can't really judge without having seen it..

I am sorry if I misinterpreted your post. I'm not defending or criticizing something I have not seen.

I took your post to mean all dancing is wrong. I cannot say that all dancing is wrong.

I did think this woman's comments are very strange. As I said, it is not normal for men to lust after children, even if they are immodestly dressed. That does not really become a danger until the high school age. But VBS children are too young for men to be lusting after. WHat I am saying is that I find it very strange that this woman interpreted what she saw as men lusting when it involved children. If that is the case, that church has very serious problems.

I do think dancing in church can be appropriate. One of our associate pastors is African American, and when the music goes, he dances unto the Lord. It is quite moving and beautiful to see. He does not dance in a flashy way, but in a way that exalts the Lord and moves others to worship as well.

Your amazing, I tell you that 10 to 16 years olds, dressed in tight jeans, shorts, oh, there was one or two that had short dresses on, standing in front of the church, with their backs to the congregation, while singing a song, swinging their hips back and forth, and you can't say there was no wrong.

Forget it, you have no idea what godly modesty is about.

• Members

I listen to CCM on a daily basis, and it has not hindered by spiritual walk - it has done just the opposite. God has blessed me and moved me through what some would call "devil music" or some other interesting title.

Well, ultimately that is your choice, but whether it has really helped you spiritually or not could be a matter of some dispute. As I recall, and forgive me if my memory is a bit fuzzy, but since you joined the board several years ago I seem to recall you have drifted into some degree of Calvinism, assumed a post-trib view you did not previously hold, as well as having a few other doctrinal shifts here and there that I seem to vaguely recall and felt were for the worse but forget exactly what they were. To me it seems like you have shown a increasing degree of confusion and a tendency to drift in the wrong directions, how much that is related to music I can't say one way or another, but a shift on your part , in my perception for the worse, is something I have noticed over the last several years and it is something I have prayed for you about in the past. You can consider that possibility or ignore it but that has been my perception over time.

• Members

I wouldn't say dancing is wrong in all situations because;
Ec 3:1 ¶ To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
Ecclesiastes 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
It is hard for me to discern on this matter though. Certainly i would not approve of non-married couples dancing "together" But in the same room modestly; I don't see a problem as long as it isn't worldly and anything that could cause lust.

In regards to CCM, I would not listen to it today. Though it did help me as i made the transition to conservative music (Which the Lord has helped me to enjoy. I was really picky when it came to music. It had to be almost musically flawless). I wouldn't recommend it though. It would most likely have been better to abstain though I didn't know it at the time. I thought music was music.

I haven't find specific yes or no to certain instruments but, so i can see CrushMaster's point; but, I believe there are principles which we can apply which would lead us away from CCM.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
CCM is conformed to this world, "pop" and "contemporary music" (normally main elements in CCM) which as I understand was the spawn of "Rock" (I don't like to bring the term up after i learned what it was named for..) with a deceiving appearance. It also often waters down the truth (if there is any to be found in the lyrics.) It is certainly the Worldly' Music most if not all of the time.

Ro 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
Ro 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
Ro 14:15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
Ro 14:16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
Ro 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Many, I'm sure could not like the type of music. They have knowledge of its counterpart and were heavily in it and perhaps some of the darker side which can accompany it. It could cause lust after old things and cause a stumbling block. Which is another principle against CCM.

I think we can also use these scriptures for principle.
De 12:29 When the LORD thy God shall cut off the nations from before thee, whither thou goest to possess them, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their land;
De 12:30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou inquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.
De 12:31 Thou shalt not do so unto the LORD thy God: for every abomination to the LORD, which he hateth, have they done unto their gods; for even their sons and their daughters they have burnt in the fire to their gods.
De 12:32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

I think I'll leave this topic for now with these verses. but, even if it is good. Which I can't see at this point.

Ro 14:16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
1Th 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

(another edit: I also noticed most if not all the previous verses can be also applied to dancing; 1Th 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.)

Edited by Nathaniel

• Members

Your amazing, I tell you that 10 to 16 years olds, dressed in tight jeans, shorts, oh, there was one or two that had short dresses on, standing in front of the church, with their backs to the congregation, while singing a song, swinging their hips back and forth, and you can't say there was no wrong.

Forget it, you have no idea what godly modesty is about.

You said nothing about 16 year olds. You said children in Vacation BIble School, which in every church I have been in is for 12 years and under, so the oldest would have been 12.

What I am saying is that it is not normal for grown men to look at children 12 years and under in a lustful manner. I don't question the dance moves you described. I question what this lady really saw. I do not question that she had these thoughts that men were lusting, but I seriously doubt any man in a church, unless there is a pedophile in their midst, would even have any sort of sexual thought about a child 12 or under.

Even if the dance moves were as you described, no normal man would have such a thought for young children. If they were in their mid to upper teens, perhaps, but 12 and under, no.

I am not saying their dancing in church was right. I am just saying that based upon what you initially wrote, I was really surprised that the issue of lust came up towards children in VBS. Astonished really, that someone would see that and associate children and lust together. It really makes me wonder if she was injured by sexual abuse in the past, because most adults, even if they thought the dancing was not appropriate rightfully so, would not think men were lusting after children.

I don't know how I can clarrify myself any more. I'm not being argumentative, I am just taking issue with men in church reportedly lusting after VBS children. I do not doubt that is what this woman who reported to you thought she saw, but I just cannot beleive a roomful of church people would associate lust and children, even if the children were dressed immodestly. IF that is the case, children should not be in that church at all.

• Administrators

KOB - just to forestall an argument, I wanted to insert here that, in Jerry8's original post about the dancing, he did mention 10-16 year olds.

One thing to remember, also, is that many times girls develop quickly and there are 11 and 12 year olds who are mistaken for being older. When I was 11, people thought I was about 15...

Children today learn to be seductive in their movements by watching things on tv. One of my nieces loved to "dance" around the house, just moving around even if there was no music. As she got to be around 10 years old, her movements ceased to be the carefree movements of an innocent child and quite obviously became seductive. Now, I realize that sounds funny, but that is the only way to describe it. Girls (even Christian girls) look to role models like Miley Cyrus, Brittany Spears, etc. and mimic their dress and actions.

When things like what Jerry8 described come into churches, there will be many of the children whose movements will be seductive. No, they don't really know what they are doing (well, by13 or so they definitely do!), but there it is.

I can't say whether what this woman saw was lust or not: she cannot read minds. However, when nubile female bodies which are not modestly dressed sway and move to a beat in front of male eyes, it won't be just the pedophiles who are affected.

One sad thing I have noticed over the years is that many churches no longer expect modesty and decorum from their youth...and parents who may try and teach it in the home are fighting a losing battle if the church they attend doesn't support that.

• Members

KOB - just to forestall an argument, I wanted to insert here that, in Jerry8's original post about the dancing, he did mention 10-16 year olds.

One thing to remember, also, is that many times girls develop quickly and there are 11 and 12 year olds who are mistaken for being older. When I was 11, people thought I was about 15...

Children today learn to be seductive in their movements by watching things on tv. One of my nieces loved to "dance" around the house, just moving around even if there was no music. As she got to be around 10 years old, her movements ceased to be the carefree movements of an innocent child and quite obviously became seductive. Now, I realize that sounds funny, but that is the only way to describe it. Girls (even Christian girls) look to role models like Miley Cyrus, Brittany Spears, etc. and mimic their dress and actions.

When things like what Jerry8 described come into churches, there will be many of the children whose movements will be seductive. No, they don't really know what they are doing (well, by13 or so they definitely do!), but there it is.

I can't say whether what this woman saw was lust or not: she cannot read minds. However, when nubile female bodies which are not modestly dressed sway and move to a beat in front of male eyes, it won't be just the pedophiles who are affected.

One sad thing I have noticed over the years is that many churches no longer expect modesty and decorum from their youth...and parents who may try and teach it in the home are fighting a losing battle if the church they attend doesn't support that.

Sorry. I didn't see 16 year old mentioned in the original post. My apologies.

I still do not see how an adult who is normal (I'm not talking pedophiles) can lust after a 10-12 year old. I can see how boys aged 13 or 14 could, and that is a separate issue altogether because that is normal. But even if a 10 year old moves "seductively," I fail to see how an adult would lust.

I am sorry I misinterpreted. To be clear, I am not justifying or defending any action, and certainly do not agree that that sort of dancing is appropriate in church.

I just found the comment about lust combined with children very unusual and bothersome, and I highly doubt a hoard of men in the church looked at the children in that manner. Now if the comment had been made about boys right around their age having those thoughts, I can totally buy that.