• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discussion Topic - Is Dancing Always Wrong?

• Members

Is dancing always wrong? Would, for example, a couple slow-dancing be in sin? Married, or unmarried? Yes, or no? Why, or why not?
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

In a New Covenant situation:
Jer 31:13 Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow.

Jesus did not think of dancing as sinful:

Mat 11:16 But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows,
17 And saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented.

Is such dancing the sort of dancing you are questioning? Scottish (country) dancing was allowed by the Kirk as it was distinct from the formal dancing of the court that involved close contact. Edited by Covenanter

• Members

No, dancing is not always wrong. Slow dancing can be fine for married couples but something unmarried couples should not participate in as such closeness as is involved in slow dancing is inappropriate for those unmarried.

I'm not happy with slow dancing, aka ballroom dancing, as such dances will be a social gathering normally including unmarried youngsters in close contact.

Such dances are social occasions for youngsters to meet under adult supervision, so shouldn't present a problem of Christian concern.

I enjoy the occasional barn dance - the last one was for my 3rd son's 40th birthday. From time to time I am a member of the English Folk Dance & Song Society. I took some of my children camping with them. Good tuneful live music & healthy activity.

I've even tried morris dancing.

• Members

I'm not happy with slow dancing, aka ballroom dancing, as such dances will be a social gathering normally including unmarried youngsters in close contact.

Such dances are social occasions for youngsters to meet under adult supervision, so shouldn't present a problem of Christian concern.

I enjoy the occasional barn dance - the last one was for my 3rd son's 40th birthday. From time to time I am a member of the English Folk Dance & Song Society. I took some of my children camping with them. Good tuneful live music & healthy activity.

I've even tried morris dancing.

I'm not familiar with "morris dancing". Some forms of folk dancing I would consider fine, but some I wouldn't. As Bro Matt says, regarding the issue of dance it matters "what kind of dance? With who? and what music is being played?".

With regards to slow dancing, which involves very close, prolonged body contact, such may be fine for married couples in some circumstances, but not at all for those unmarried. Such contact shouldn't occur between those who are not married.

Is dancing always wrong? Would, for example, a couple slow-dancing be in sin? Married, or unmarried? Yes, or no? Why, or why not?
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

Its OK to dance if your name is David. :yeah:

2 Samuel 6:14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

• Members

Its OK to dance if your name is David. :yeah:

2 Samuel 6:14 And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod.

David, "danced unto the LORD" and was not in a hugging contest to music as most dancing seem to exhibit, and so worst than that. Personally even if a husband and wife are going to do it, it belongs in an intimate setting as it should be between them.

• Members

If it praises God.
But if the music or the body movements exalt the flesh instead of God, it's ungodly.

Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.Psalm 150:4

How can music (not lyrics) "exalt the flesh"? Not challenging your assertion, just curious as to what you mean.

• Members

How can music (not lyrics) "exalt the flesh"? Not challenging your assertion, just curious as to what you mean.

At discos( do they still have discos?) do they play Irish jigs, classical music, marches? or something with a beat that makes you want to 'shake your booty'.
Music can be very sensual,

• Members

What does it lead to for an unmarried man to dance with a unmarried woman?

What problem may raise its face when a married man dances with a married woman that is not his wife?

What may come about when a married man dances with an unmarried woman?

Does anytbing good come of young men and women dacning with one another?

Most places that I've seen where dancing is taking place is not a place a child of God should want to be.

• Administrators

I personally like to see a good Irish jig - it's interesting how they hold their bodies so straight as they move their feet...and the feet are definitely the focus. I also enjoy watching Jewish dance. I guess you could call those folk dances of those cultures.

I agree that dancing between husband and wife is fine. Leaping before the Lord as David did would be fine, too (that is what his dancing was - not shaking his booty :) ).

• Members

At discos( do they still have discos?) do they play Irish jigs, classical music, marches? or something with a beat that makes you want to 'shake your booty'.
Music can be very sensual,

Interesting. It would seem though that "music that makes you want to 'shake your booty'" would be subjective to the listener. It seems that every type of musical beat will elicit some response, whether it be as simple as a nodding head or a tapping foot. What one merely claps a long to, another might feel like jumping up and "shaking a leg." It would be neat if there was some objective way to determine it.