• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastor Says Demons Inspired My Warnings Against West Coast

• Members

Oh brother, Peter Ruckman's church is just as Baptist as anyone else's on this forum is, and so are thousands of pastors and missionaries that have been influenced by him or graduated from his school. Well, I suppose the "one true church" Baptist Briders we have around here are more Baptist than them, but of course, that doctrine is really more Catholic than Baptist.

My pastor graduated from his school back in the 70s, and our church has on its sign "a Bible Believing Baptist Church." We call it that because half of the Baptists out there that claim to be KJVO take no issue with correcting the KJV from the pulpit or in their colleges.

Yes, Dr. Ruckman calls people names, teaches a couple of weird things, and some of you think a divorced man can't pastor (even though you can't prove it and God the Father is divorced) - that doesn't make him not a Baptist. He even ran with the Sword of the Lord/John R. Rice crowd in his early days but they gave him the boot because at the time they had no problem with using corrupt versions and he was KJVO. He strongly teaches all the same historic Baptist fundamentals and claims to be a Baptist, just because some of you would rather associate the name "Baptist" with Calvinists, Briders, and Bible correctors makes him no less IFB, it just shows your lack of biblical, historical, and spiritual discernment.

God bless! :D

So Rick, what are you really trying to say? :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

Did you just say that God the Father is divorced?

Jer. 3:8, "And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also."

There it is, right there. It ties in perfectly with the requirements for biblical divorce in Matthew chapter 5 and 19. If divorce is always a sin or a blight, then God sinned, and that's all there is to it.

Sorry if that doesn't fit a lot of folks theology, but it’s Bible.

• Administrators

Jer. 3:8, "And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also."

There it is, right there. It ties in perfectly with the requirements for biblical divorce in Matthew chapter 5 and 19. If divorce is always a sin or a blight, then God sinned, and that's all there is to it.

Sorry if that doesn't fit a lot of folks theology, but it’s Bible.

But, Rick, God was speaking spiritually here. He wasn't advocating divorce between earthly spouses. I realize that there are a couple of instances where he did (Hosea and Gomer, and the Israelites in Ezra). But those were the exception, rather than the rule. They are examples of times God did or allowed things outside of the boundaries which He set...

To use this scripture to justify personal divorce (especially multiple ones!!) doesn't fit with dovetailing scripture. Sorry.

Oh, and :grouphug: LOL

• Members

But, Rick, God was speaking spiritually here. He wasn't advocating divorce between earthly spouses. I realize that there are a couple of instances where he did (Hosea and Gomer, and the Israelites in Ezra). But those were the exception, rather than the rule. They are examples of times God did or allowed things outside of the boundaries which He set...

To use this scripture to justify personal divorce (especially multiple ones!!) doesn't fit with dovetailing scripture. Sorry.

As well, the specifics dealing with issues of marriage regarding Christians is in the New Testament, as are the qualifications for pastors. Not only that, but other verses in the New Testament pertain to such matters while not specifically addressing them.

• Members

There it is in black and white. The Bible says it plain as the pimple on my nose. That must be the way it is! There is no room for any other interpretation.

• Members

Thanks for the hug. :)

Of course it's spiritual, sister, and the reason He divorced Israel is because of spiritual adultery. Jesus said it was okay to divorce your spouse for the same thing in the New Testament in Matthew 5 and 19. Divorce IS a sin, but it's one of the few things that God makes an allowance or exception for as you already pointed out. I don't believe in situation ethics, I believe in judging everything by Scripture. If there's an exception provided in Scripture, then I take the Bible for what it says even if the average Baptist today would disagree.

• Members

Thanks for the hug. :)

Of course it's spiritual, sister, and the reason He divorced Israel is because of spiritual adultery. Jesus said it was okay to divorce your spouse for the same thing in the New Testament in Matthew 5 and 19. Divorce IS a sin, but it's one of the few things that God makes an allowance or exception for as you already pointed out. I don't believe in situation ethics, I believe in judging everything by Scripture. If there's an exception provided in Scripture, then I take the Bible for what it says even if the average Baptist today would disagree.

We are also told that if we are divorced we are to remain single unless we are reconciled with our former spouse.

• Members

Incidentally...God's "divorce" would have been during the betrothal as He had not yet had a marriage supper. SO....therefore even if you were to use that to say pastors could be divorced...it would not apply because pastors do not have betrothals, and therefore they are physically married and should not be divorced if they want to continue pastoring. I believe most of "accepted" divorce in the Bible deals with the betrothal period, before physical union has taken place. Betrothal was a marriage contract...divorce was breaking the contract for a good reason.

• Members

Incidentally...God's "divorce" would have been during the betrothal as He had not yet had a marriage supper. SO....therefore even if you were to use that to say pastors could be divorced...it would not apply because pastors do not have betrothals, and therefore they are physically married and should not be divorced if they want to continue pastoring. I believe most of "accepted" divorce in the Bible deals with the betrothal period, before physical union has taken place. Betrothal was a marriage contract...divorce was breaking the contract for a good reason.

Good points :thumb: I've read of this before but I failed to recall this until your posting.