• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastor Says Demons Inspired My Warnings Against West Coast

• Members
February 23, 2011 (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article)

“Psalms 119:165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.”

Proverbs 27:5-6 Open rebuke is better than secret love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

A pastor identifying himself as Paul Chappell’s friend wrote to demand that I apologize to Bro. Chappell for not talking with him before publishing my warning about his music. He said that he had no objection to sounding the alarm when such is needed” nor does he object when “brothers who disagree on some issue engage in a public debate.” He said, “Your concern about Lancaster Baptist Church showing signs of drift toward CCM is not my issue.”

His only issue was the matter of me not first contacting Chappell, and as biblical authority he cited “the spirit” of Matthew 18.

His first e-mail was fairly conciliatory, but when I stood by my conviction that this is not a Matthew 18 matter and when I refused to be apologetic, he then wrote the following:

“The fact is, your exposure to and past affinity with the the devils that operate in that [hippie] culture make you more than usually susceptible to the wily and very subtle influences of such spirits. What I'm trying to do here is discern just what spirit you are of. ...

View the full article

Cloud uses the pronoun "I" too much...

I stood by my conviction
I refused to be apologetic
I further refused to acknowledge that I have sinned
I am not saying that I did not reply in some anger
I want to answer here as best as I can.
I do not consider this matter “a cheap shot.”
I have not stabbed Pastor Chappell in the back
I believe it is a smokescreen and a sidetrack
I did contact Pastor Chappell on a previous occasion and asked him about statements he had made in a sermon
I decided not to deal with the matter in writing at that time
I saw the issue of Lancaster’s use of CCM as a longstanding

...you get the idea. The other guy's email was full of "I" too. I think they had a falling out :(

I hope someone points this out to David Cloud. The only scripture used here appears used to justify a tirade.

Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

Whether Matthew 18 directly applies, or the spirit of it applies, it would have been a good move had Cloud contacted Chappell privately.

In Cloud's list of reasons for not doing so, one he lists is his assumption of how Chappell would have reacted and what the outcome would have been. Whether right or wrong (we can't know) it's a huge leap to proclaim one knows how one would react and what the outcome would be (it seems only God could know this).

How much better might this have went if Cloud had took the time to make a private, personal appeal...what lessons may we all learn from this...

• Members

There is a lot compromising going on in Baptist circles. When they are approached about it they resort to all sorts of attacks and never address the issue at hand. It is really a shame that it is nearly impossible to find a church that still practices solid separation and has not given in to the world's music. We need more people like David Cloud to stand up and point out these issues to the public.

• Members

There is a lot compromising going on in Baptist circles. When they are approached about it they resort to all sorts of attacks and never address the issue at hand. It is really a shame that it is nearly impossible to find a church that still practices solid separation and has not given in to the world's music. We need more people like David Cloud to stand up and point out these issues to the public.

If such are confronted in private and they fail to make change, then I agree it can be a good thing to make some things public so the public can make informed decisions.

• Members

If such are confronted in private and they fail to make change, then I agree it can be a good thing to make some things public so the public can make informed decisions.

If a school or church is doing something that is affecting the public then they need to be approached publicly. This isn't a simply private matter between 2 Christians. I want Cloud to let me know these things so that I know what is going on. There are many other schools giving into CCM, teaming up with Southern Baptists and resorting to calling people ungodly because they hold to a KJV only or KJV preferred position. People in these very churches and schools are often naive to what is going on. These issues strike very close to home for me and I find that those pointing out the errors are not having their concerns addressed honestly. Until the other side honestly addresses the concerns of the other things will just continue to get ugly. Hang on tight.

• Members

If a school or church is doing something that is affecting the public then they need to be approached publicly. This isn't a simply private matter between 2 Christians. I want Cloud to let me know these things so that I know what is going on. There are many other schools giving into CCM, teaming up with Southern Baptists and resorting to calling people ungodly because they hold to a KJV only or KJV preferred position. People in these very churches and schools are often naive to what is going on. These issues strike very close to home for me and I find that those pointing out the errors are not having their concerns addressed honestly. Until the other side honestly addresses the concerns of the other things will just continue to get ugly. Hang on tight.

Why not first raise the issue with the pastor or whoever is in charge to first see if the matter can be resolved in this manner? If such an attempt fails to resolve the issue, then make the matter public.

• Members

Will this ever end?

Hey - guess what: After three girls my wife and I just found out today that we're going to have a baby boy in July!

Silas Richard. :-)

All this music stuff was annoying me. I wasn't even sure why I decided to look at this thread. But I see the good reason why now. Congrats bro! :D

• Members

I've come to find that D. Cloud has lost his base with reality and that he is incapable of considering the condition of the men he often lambast. I know we are all susceptible to this at times, but to make a public incedent of seems a little imprudent. I know he thinks he is being led by the spirit, but maybe we should question exactly what "spirit" it is. JMTC.

• Members

I've come to find that D. Cloud has lost his base with reality and that he is incapable of considering the condition of the men he often lambast. I know we are all susceptible to this at times, but to make a public incedent of seems a little imprudent. I know he thinks he is being led by the spirit, but maybe we should question exactly what "spirit" it is. JMTC.

Here we have a personal attack on David Cloud and Cloud's concern not being addressed. Implying he might have an evil spirit leading him is just wicked. It is stuff that makes me want the puke as God said the church in Revelation wanted to make him puke.