• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Fraudulent charge on my Discover Card

Guest "I am chief"

I received a monthly statement from Discover...a rare event. This made me look for charges listed against the acct.
The charge was for a stay at a hotel this January. I was never there and when I looked for the hotel on line via a
Google Map search I read..."This place is permanently closed."

I called Discover and they are closing my account and issuing me a new card/acct. number. The lady at the fraudulent
activity dept. was very courteous and understanding.

This is the first time in my life (57 yrs.) I've ever had something like this happen. I thought it might be a good idea to let folks
know these things do happen to just plain folks.

• Members

We had our bank "My Bank", (and that it is lot of fun, with a bank named "My Bank") call us one time to verify an attempt to by a money oder with our debit card #. We are in NM, they were trying to buy it in Missouri. Again canceled the card and got a new one.

Yeah, I've heard stories like that before! Were you able to get the charges reversed?

Discover is getting rid of the entire fraudulent charge. Strange that it was only one hotel and nothing else...maybe they were testing the waters before going all out.

• Members

Many financial institutions allow you to enable email and text alerts from your account's website page so that each time there is a financial transaction you get notified. I have this feature enabled on my credit card account and I get an email and a text message sent to me within 30 seconds of the transaction going through (many times while still standing at the check-out counter).

Edited by trc123

• Members

Yes we had something like that happen a couple years ago. The nice thing is, the credit card was on top of it before we found out and they called us! Its nice that the card companies are so on top of things like this.

• Administrators

Same thing happened to us a few years back, but like others, our card company called us to verify, because we live in the midwest, and this was in RI! It's a scary thing to think that we are so vulnerable, isn't it? I know God protects us, but bad thing do still happen to good people! Glad things got straightened out for you, Dave.