• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Iowa's girl wrestlers: Some drama, some sport

• Members

Iowa's Girl Wrestlers: Some Drama, Some Sport

by MIKE MALLOY
Des Moines (Ia.) Register
Feb. 17, 2011

The crowd cheered as Cassy Herkelman’s hand was raised, but the historic moment of the first girl to win a match at the traditional state wrestling meet comes with an asterisk.

Her opponent, Joel Northrup of Linn-Mar of Marion, forfeited. Northrup did not speak with the media, but did release a written statement:

“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan (Black, the tournament’s other female entrant) and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times. As a matter of conscience and my faith, I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most of the high school sports in Iowa.”

Megan Black of Ottumwa did wrestle today, losing by fall to Bettendorf’s Logan Ryan.

Joel Northrup's coach, Doug Streicher, did not speak with the media after the match.

Linn-Mar Athletic Director Scott Mahmens did speak with the media, and said Northrup’s parents are not at the tournament. Mahmens added that nobody from the school tried to influence Northrup, who is home schooled, to wrestle or not wrestle.

“He’s a Linn-Mar Lion, and we’re going to support what he’s doing,” Mahmens said. “Obviously his beliefs are more important to him (than a chance at a state title).”

Alan Beste of the Iowa High School Athletic Association told reporters said Herkelman would not make a statement Thursday.

• Members

Parents worry about "grinding" at high school proms, but have no problem with a boy purposely putting his hands all over their daughter's body for sports glory.

I have one thing to say to anyone that wants to put their hands on my daughter that way. "Mossberg" Oops, and I mean it with love.

• Members

There is no drama in this other than what the media is stirring up.

Both wrestlers were respectful of one another. The boy did not make a fuss over it, and merely said he could not face her due to his religious convictions. She did not make a bit deal of it, and said she respected his convictions. What is the story in that?

From what I can tell, she is a good, strong wrestler, with a 20-12 record. She has proven she can win, and thus made it into the tournament. The tournament did not exclude her and other wrestlers matched her. One boy just chose to forfeit and did not make a big deal of it.

So I'm confused as to what the story is. Media blowing things out of proportion as always to sell papers.

• Administrators

You're right, KOB, the media is blowing it out of proportion - something they do on a regular basis!

Kudos to the young man for his decision. Regardless of the girl's ability, boys and girls wrestling each other is just wrong.

The boys in our school wrestle. We have forfeited matches rather than them wrestling with girls. I honestly don't understand where parents' heads are when they allow their daughters to wrestle. Okay, let's say there needs to be equal opportunity (which is just ridiculous, anyway). So, then, have an all-girl's wrestling and an all-boys, so the two don't mix. Of course, people would say that's discrimination. Maybe so, but who cares?

Girls, no matter how "good" they may be, don't belong in wrestling, football, etc. Full contact sport between the sexes is not a good idea. Regardless of what anyone thinks about a girl's ability, girls are NOT as strong as boys and will get hurt. Fact of life, and one that needs to be recognized again.

• Members

Mitch and Jerry, I agree with you both.

It's such a shame that any parent would allow their daughter to be involved in such.

It's a shame that any parent would allow their son to wrestle a girl. It's a shame all the other boys on the squad were not raised properly enough so that they would refuse to wrestle a girl too.

We live in a very degenerate society bent upon wickedness in all things.

• Members

Mitch and Jerry, I agree with you both.

It's such a shame that any parent would allow their daughter to be involved in such.

It's a shame that any parent would allow their son to wrestle a girl. It's a shame all the other boys on the squad were not raised properly enough so that they would refuse to wrestle a girl too.

We live in a very degenerate society bent upon wickedness in all things.

True.

Ge 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Ro 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
Ro 3:11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
Ro 3:12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
Ro 3:13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
Ro 3:14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
Ro 3:15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:
Ro 3:16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:
Ro 3:17 And the way of peace have they not known:

• Members

Anyone who wants to raise a young gentleman will not want him beating up on a girl. And that's saved, or lost. Our past generation would have frowned on this no matter how much religion they lacked.