• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

PTSD

• Members

I am starting to deal with a young man who has joined the church recently. He claims salvation, and even talked to me about being called into the ministry. It seems that there are some problems though. He is a USMC vet who has been to the middle east, after coming home he has ha some trouble with the law. Right now he is having trouble at home, seems moody at time, has his highs and lows. I know there is some sin in his life we need to deal with, so my question is what is being call PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). What I am looking for is information from a Christian prospective as I deal with this young man. If any of you other pastors have had or are dealing with this I would appreciate the help.th_tiphat.gif

• Members

I've got a couple of friends that's dealing with PTSD, their lives are in a total mess. I would think such a person that can't deal with their own problems having God as their helper could never deal with being a preacher of the Word.

I've often wondered, the two friends of mine, if they had never suffered from PTSD during Vietnam War, would their life still be in such a mess. I've know several people my fathers age, that like the two I speak of that spent time in the battle fields of World War 2, being shot at, being shot, seeing their fellow soldiers killed on the battle field, while their lives were not shipwrecked.

One thing for sure, man that has God as their helper can overcome anything, yet only under the power of God.

2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

• Members

He needs to get to the VA as soon as possible. PTSD is a top priority for returning combat veterans. Even though rehab is not done from a Christian perspective, the VA is trying hard to take care of veterans who suffer from this condition.

Regarding how to counsel from a Christian perspective, I would counsel this veteran similarly to a victim of a violent crime. Continue to encourage that he should seek God's face and His will in helping him overcome this.