• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lake of Fire

Anon

• Members

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/28/fully-mature-black-holes-time-stands/

I've always wondered if a Black Hole could be the lake of fire....We know in a Black Hole that it is so hot, that objects which get anywhere within the event horizon get so hot, they emit x-rays. We also know time stands still inside of a black hole... and we know that things are constantly being pulled towards the center. It would also, of course, be a very DARK "hot"....

Its really something to think about, even if not...its a good picture.

• Members

The Bible says it's a "lake", so if there's a lake inside a black hole then it might be a possibility, but so far 100% of the time a lake is a body of water surrounded by land!

The following passage in Isaiah talks about the future "new heavens and earth" where all flesh will come together to worship the Lord, likely in the New Jerusalem, or at the Jerusalem on the new earth, then it says they (including us) shall go forth and look at those in the lake of fire. We know it's the lake of fire by cross referencing scripture with scripture with Mark 9:44-48 where Jesus Christ used the same words "where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched".

Isaiah 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD. 24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Therefore, rather than somewhere in outer space, I believe the lake of fire will probably be located somewhere on the new earth.

Edited by Soj

• Members

A lake of fire would just have to be a huge body of fire.... obviously it won't be water. haha.

I think of it as a lake (which is a body of water) that burns with fire and brimstone.

Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

When I look at the usage of the word "lake" in scripture, at no time does the Lord qualify it as being a body of water, it goes without saying, it's understood that's what a lake is.

If the lake of fire is not a body of water, which burns with fire and brimstone, then I think the Lord would have used another word to describe it, like a bottomless pit filled with fire, etc.

• Members

The History Channel ran a program speculating that there may be one or more black holes here on earth. It was speculated one is in the Bermuda Triagle region and this is what accounts for the strange occurances there.

Whatever the case may be, Scripture makes it clear no one will want to be there.

• Members

Well I believe hell right now is in the center of the earth, John....

Anyway Soj...the Bible says the devil and his angels will be thrown in the bottomless pit which I think is the same thing as the lake of fire....I don't have time to study it out right now but I understood them to be the same thing....

• Members

Anyway Soj...the Bible says the devil and his angels will be thrown in the bottomless pit which I think is the same thing as the lake of fire....I don't have time to study it out right now but I understood them to be the same thing....

Isn't the Bottomless Pit the place where Satan will be cast for a thousand years before being loosed for a short time and then afterwards hell and Satan and his devils will be cast into the Lake of Fire for eternity?

In thinking of the Bottomless Pit, have you ever imagined the horror of continually feeling yourself falling? Consider the fear and horror we experience when falling a short distance and imagine that for a thousand years!

• Members

Isn't the Bottomless Pit the place where Satan will be cast for a thousand years before being loosed for a short time and then afterwards hell and Satan and his devils will be cast into the Lake of Fire for eternity?

In thinking of the Bottomless Pit, have you ever imagined the horror of continually feeling yourself falling? Consider the fear and horror we experience when falling a short distance and imagine that for a thousand years!

Oh yeah....I think you're right...so really no humans go to the bottomless pit. Interesting b/c I've heard preachers preach on going there...Hm.

• Members

The bottomless pit is only recorded in the book of Revelation, it is like a prison, in Rev 9:1-2 you find an angel opening it with a key and releasing those supernatural locusts, and in Rev 20:2 an angel lays hold on the Devil and locks him in there with a key and chain for 1000 years, then he is released...I don't believe that the bottomless pit is to be equated with the lake of fire. A pit is a pit, and a lake is a lake, two different geographical locations. In saying that, the Lord may well but a bottom on that pit, fill it up with water, and then set it on fire when the time comes!

As for your black hole theory sister, there is a verse that comes to mind that may well give credence to it, outer space vs. outer darkness hmmm?

Matthew 22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

It's all good food for thought, it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other what and where the lake of fire is, what matters is that I'm not going there, thank Christ.