• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

[Book – Study Guide] PAUL, A Man of Grace and Grit

Guest "I am chief"

PAUL, A Man of Grace and Grit
From the Bible – Teaching Ministry of Charles R. Swindoll, Insight for Living
Goals; “Knowledge…apply what we learn so that we will change and grow.”

Disclaimer: Let me begin by telling you up front there are no KJV scripture quotations. I’m not going to debate versions in this book review. Although the book was meant to be a study guide, I read it as a book on the life of Paul and referred to my own KJV for scriptures referenced. I personally didn’t like some of the non-Biblical quotations chosen for emphasizing some facts.

Introduction
A quote from the introduction… “Join us now as we set out to dispel the erroneous myths surrounding this man of God who was no cloistered saint tucked away in a dusty study.”

Review...
PAUL, A Man of Grace and Grit; left me with some challenges for the future and caused me to divert to a personal study as I read. As, I began to follow Paul’s life through the narratives provided, I did learn things about Paul I never knew. I was provided insight into how Paul’s life might have begun as a Jew living in Tarsus. I was given some likely perspectives on the formation of Paul’s character and resulting actions. The fact that, this book caused me to dig deeper into Paul’s life and track the Biblical account of Paul’s journeys, makes it worth while reading.

One reason why I believe this is a good book for anyone to read is what it caused me to do. I went to my Bible as a side study and tracked Paul’s journeys in a spreadsheet from Damascus to Rome.

A greater reason for recommending this book is the desire it left in me. I want to grow closer to the One who inspired Paul to perform all these tasks. The spreadsheet tracking and Bible reading (primarily Acts) seemed to bring me into the journey of Paul. To clarify, it’s one thing to read about Paul, its a more richly rewarding thing to walk beside him as he travels.

The greatest reason for approving this book isn’t Paul. I have challenged myself to take this same spreadsheet walk with our Savior, Jesus Christ.

Final comment; Paul was a great Apostle; the power behind him was Jesus Christ very God.

• Members

Good review.

I do the same thing with good resources I encounter which have little, or no KJB usage. While it's inconventient to constantly have to look up the verses in the KJB, unless I already know them, it's also a good exercise and affords greater opportunity for reading more of the context and cross references on occasion.

While there is much about Swindoll that I don't agree with, I have gained much from some of his Bible study guides in years past.