• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Witnessing to a Mormon

• Members

We have a family friend who is so very nice, and is very drawn to our family. We have been hospitable to him and have showed him the love of Christ in how we have dealt with him. Today I finally found the opportunity to
speak with him one on one concerning his soul's salvation. In a nutshell, he says 5 months ago he realized he could not obtain salvation in anything other than trusting Christ as his saviour. Also, he said it is the blood
of Christ that atones for our sin. Everything I asked...and I asked in every way I could think to tear a hole in his experience, but he is assured that he has genuine faith in Jesus Christ.

Later in our conversation, he also said that he believes the Book of Mormon to be God's Word as well as the Bible. He says he studies God's Word and the Book of Mormon backs it up and vice versa. Of course, I brought up the
fact that the mormon prophets had been wrong...cited particulars...but I feel like I failed in this encounter. Are the mormon teachings so full of actual truth that the lies get hidden? He is so very sincere....but is it another Jesus? Another gospel?
If any of you have any pointers, I could use them. I have challenged him to read the Bible only for a set amount of time. He won't do it, for he is convinced that would be wrong. I have actually offended him, but he is still pretty gracious about it all.

• Members

I had a pastor friend whose bother and wife were Mormons, it seems his brother finally convinced him that being a Mormon that he was saved just as anyone else. Prior to that this pastor friend expressed concern for his brother many times and of his talks with him trying to get him to pull out of the Mormons.

My 1st experience with Mormons came when I was reunited with a sister since my mothers death in 1948. She tried to get me to drop my faith and throw in with them. During that time I learned quite a bit about them, they sure have many people fooled and following a man made religion that has nothing whatsoever to do with the living God the Father of Jesus Christ that died on the cross for our sins.

And as you said, many of those that hold to false beliefs are nice people to be around. Perhaps they think if they befriend us, associate with us, build up friendships with us, talk with us about those things we have in common, they can win us to their wayward way. I've seen several of the false teachers use that mode, and at times it will work.

Its much more difficult to win someone to Christ that has a false hope, than one that has no hope.

• Members

Some have posted some good links here to great material and even at least one video which exposes clearly that the Jesus the Mormons say they believe in isn't the same Jesus of the Bible.

Mormonism is a mix of Bible, Freemassonry and a vivid imagination. Over the course of time various Mormon "prophets" have had "visions" and other things have been added to or changed within Mormonism. Typically such has just so happened at times when it would serve the overall Mormon goal to change. Such as when the Mormons were told Utah would never become a State so long as they practiced polygamy. Suddenly a Mormon "prophet" had a "vision" and in it was told to end polygamy! Wow!

As Jerry said, it's difficult to reach someone with the Gospel when they think they are already in good standing with God.

• Administrators

nucreature, as John pointed out, the Mormon Jesus is not the Jesus of the Bible. Mormons are taught that Jesus was a son of God, not the only begotten Son of God. They don't understand His deity, because they believe that each man is as God once was, and that what God is now, man is becoming. They honestly believe that men who follow the teachings of Mormonism will become gods in eternity.

One thing for sure: pointing out the errors of the religious belief won't convince a believer. Rather, continuing to point to Christ and His truth will. Since your friend has spent so much time with you and your family, he could very well have gotten saved - if he is trusting in Christ and Christ alone, as the only begotten Son.

A Mormon is taught that the Bible and the Book of Mormon go hand in hand. Funny thing, though - the emphasis is usually on the BoM (obviously because it doesn't have the whole truth in it). Joseph Smith literally took entire chapters of the Bible and transferred them to his book - thus mixing truth with his lies. Our Mormon friend put it this way: Let's say life is like a chalk board. One nail in the center of the board, and the board will swivel. A nail in each end, though, creates stability. So, too, if you only have the Bible, or only have the Book of Mormon, your life will be unstable. Having both, though, creates stability. The emphasis, though, is still on the BoM.

Perhaps with your friend, you could begin a Bible study - on the deity of Jesus Christ. He needs to understand that Christ is God and has been from of old, from everlasting. Do a study yourselves, first, so you have the scripture you need to show him what the Bible says about Christ. I can just about guarantee that you will be able to discern whether his profession is true, or if he is trusting in the Mormon Jesus.

Dave, that site does look good! And their final words are so true:

BE PRAYERFUL We are called to pray without ceasing (1 Thessalonians 5:17). Pray that God would grant you the wisdom you need to clearly and carefully communicate the truth to your Mormon friends (James 1:5).

BE PREPARED While there is no need to try to know everything about Mormon beliefs, history and culture, it can only help if you know some of the basics. This way you can anticipate what they might say. It is even more important for you to know what the Bible teaches. You must spend much time studying the Bible so you may be able to respond to the Mormon distortions and appeals to it.

BE PATIENT As you seek to witness to your Mormon friends, don't try to cover too much territory in one sitting. This can lead to a strong defensive attitude and minimal communication. Take your time. Remember 2 Timothy 2:24-26.

BE PERSISTENT Don't give up. We are in this for the long term. If you get frustrated, take some time off. Pray and ask God to help you in your preparation and understanding. Pray too that he will give your Mormon friend eyes to see and ears to hear the truth of who God is, their need for his salvation, and his provision of the Gospel of grace.

• Members

They also believe that Jesus was good enough to become a 'God,' and they to can become that good too.

Yes, they believe all Mormon men can achieve godhood, have their own planet and a stable of wives. Not really a whole lot different than the Islamic teaching that if a Muslim sacrifices their life for Islam they will go immediately to paradise and have a thousand virgins to themselves.

Myself, I'll stick with what the One True God says in the KJB. :bible:

• Administrators

Actually they don't teach that men will have a stable of wives. They teach that if a couple is married in the temple, it is possible that the man, once he is a god, could call up that earthly wife to be his eternal wife, bearing his spirit children for ever.

My mom's best friend was really upset when she found out that, because she and her hubby weren't married in the temple, she wouldn't be his wife in eternity. However, his first wife and he were married in the temple, so he could call her up in eternity to bear his spirit children if he so chose. My mom's friend was saved as a teenager, but never discipled, so she fell for a lot of false doctrine.

• Members

Actually they don't teach that men will have a stable of wives. They teach that if a couple is married in the temple, it is possible that the man, once he is a god, could call up that earthly wife to be his eternal wife, bearing his spirit children for ever.

My mom's best friend was really upset when she found out that, because she and her hubby weren't married in the temple, she wouldn't be his wife in eternity. However, his first wife and he were married in the temple, so he could call her up in eternity to bear his spirit children if he so chose. My mom's friend was saved as a teenager, but never discipled, so she fell for a lot of false doctrine.

That may be the teaching they have regarding monogomous marriage. I was referring to their earlier teaching where they could bring their polygamous variety of wives along.

The Mormons change their teachings over the course of time and even among the various branches of Mormonism it can be hard to tell just which ones they hold to. I know most "traditional" Mormons reject many of the newer teachings, including the one from the 1800s banning polygamy, but yet some do accept some newer teachings while some don't recognize any...or just those from the "prophets" in their own branch.

In any event, thank you LuAnne for pointing that out.