• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Pleases God?

• Members

Revelation 4:11 "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." (emphasis mine)

Since we are created for His pleasure, what are we or should we be doing to bring Him pleasure?

Why did He create the universe?

Why did He create man?

What does He want from us more than anything else?

• Members

Revelation 4:11 "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." (emphasis mine)

Since we are created for His pleasure, what are we or should we be doing to bring Him pleasure?

Why did He create man?

Where do we start in answering those questions?!?

• Members

Revelation 4:11 answers the last three, "for thy pleasure".

The first one we must look at ourselves and look to the Bible for, the first place 1 Peter 1:15-16.

What is the holiness of God entail, that we are to striving for?

Did He create man to sin?

Did He create man so Jesus could come and die on the cross for us?

• Members

Why did He create man?

There are many things that we can do to please God, the Bible is full of them, but I think the following verse sums it up well:

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

God simply wants to be God over and in His creation. He wants man to freewillingly come to him in faith believing that he is God and giving him the love, reverence, worship, honour, and glory that he deserves. That is what pleases God most I think.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment.

• Members

I reckon (Biblical word Paul used it), where I am going with this is here. I agree with the verses that are being quoted, I'm looking for the what would love Hi, diligently seek Him, obey Him mean. These are good words, how do we define them.

I love my wife, okay. so there are things I do to show I do. I do things to please her. ( I always wear the pair of pants she tells me to. icon_biggrin.gif)

What are the things that we should do that will be diligent, obedient, loving with our all? What things in our lives that we do or should be doing to bring Him pleasure?

Do you pray and should our prayer be, "Lord show me the things I need to do with and in my life to bring you pleasure."

If pastors and evangelist are for the perfecting of the saints. Scripturally what would those things be? Would it simply to win souls? What would the picture of a "perfected saint", what things do we need to do, to be "holy", like God?

Do you see where I am going with these questions?

• Members

I think what pleases God the most is seeing repentance, whether it is in His people or in a lost person getting saved. The Bible says something to the effect that there's more rejoicing in Heaven over one person that repents than ninety and nine just persons which need no repentance.

• Members

Scripture tells us that obedience is better than sacrifice. Scripture tells us that if we love Jesus we will obey His commandments.

God wants our full devotion, our full trust, our full giving of ourselves to Him. How do we do this? We study His Word in prayer seeking what He would have us do. What does Scripture tell us we are to do? First of all, love God with all our heart, mind, sould and strength. Next, love others. How do we do this? By obeying His Word! Only by reading and studying the Word and living accordingly can we know how to obey God and please Him.

What does the Word say about our speech...our manner of dress...our assembling together...our being salt and light...our not being unequally yoked...our reading and meditating upon the Word daily...hiding the Word in our heart...praying...etc....

If we abide in His Word, His Word will abide in us. The way to please the Lord is by drawing close to Him through His Word and obeying His Word in all we do.

• Members

What can we do to please God?

Ga 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Die to self and let Christ live though us, so that our life can be a living sacrifice.

Ro 12:1 ¶ I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Ro 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

• Members

Some more specific things that please God.

A godly family.

Colossians 3:20
Children,
ob
ey
your
pare
nt
s in all things: for
this is well pleasing u
nt
o the Lord

A Christian's good works, growth in the knowledge of God, and thankfulness to Him.

Colossians 1:10
That ye might walk worthy of
the Lord u
nt
o all pleasing
, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, u
nt
o all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
Giving thanks u
nt
o the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the sai
nt
s in light:

Speaking the gospel to others in a way that pleases God and not man.

1 Thessalonians 2:2
But even after that we had suffered before, and were shamefully e
nt
reated, as ye know, at Philippi, we were bold in our God to speak u
nt
o you the gospel of God with much co
nt
e
nt
ion.
For our exhortation
was
n
ot
of deceit, nor of uncleanness, nor in guile:
But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak;
n
ot
as pleasing men, but God
, which trieth our hearts.

God saving souls through PREACHING!

1 Cori
nt
hians 1:21
For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew n
ot
God,
it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe

The Son of God being revealed in and preached through us.

Galatians 1:15-16
But when
it pleased God
, who separated me from my m
ot
her's womb, and called
me
by his grace,
To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred n
ot
with flesh and blood:

Mark 1:11
And there came a voice from heaven,
saying
Thou art my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased

Sacrificial giving.

Hebrews 13:16
But to do good and to communicate forget n
ot
: for
with such sacrifices God is well pleased

• Members

Praise God I am seeing some great answers. These answers seem to one thing in common, they are all subjective or they focus on the "pleases God". My question is trying to get to the more objective things of that the Bible, that tells us what to do to please God.

John 13:15 "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." We are to be like Christ, yes? If we are to be like Christ then what are the attributes that we are to exhibit? Now I cannot physically go to the cross as Jesus did. I am to pick up my cross daily and follow Him. If I have a group of new converts, and I am now responsible to teach them to be what Christ would have them to be what would I teach them?

• Members

Praise God I am seeing some great answers. These answers seem to one thing in common, they are all subjective or they focus on the "pleases God". My question is trying to get to the more objective things of that the Bible, that tells us what to do to please God.

John 13:15 "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you." We are to be like Christ, yes? If we are to be like Christ then what are the attributes that we are to exhibit? Now I cannot physically go to the cross as Jesus did. I am to pick up my cross daily and follow Him. If I have a group of new converts, and I am now responsible to teach them to be what Christ would have them to be what would I teach them?

The Bible :bible: Scripture tells us what our charactor is to be like, and not to be like. Scripture tells us we are to spread the Gospel and make disciples, we are to be discipling new converts, not just leaving them hanging. Acts and the Epistles are filled with examples of this. Most of them are dealing with how Christians are to live and what we are to be doing.

We are told how to deal with our spouses, children, bosses, coworkers, brothers and sisters in Christ, etc.

Romans 12 lays the foundation for this well.

Really, outside reading and studying the Word so that it permeates our being, our hearts and minds, and we learn to walk in the Word, there is no other way to know how we are to live.