• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Anti-IFB website

• Members

I think there's much misunderstanding among all the different Baptist.

I will use the liberal Southern Baptist Convention as an example.

One person posted on this board that each church in the SBC was run by the Convention. That is not true, each church is local and runs itself according to the Bible. That is, the churches run the Convention, the Convention does not run the churches.

Although if a church gets to far out the Convention will withdraw fellowship from that church if they refuse to correct the doctrinal error.

I think what you are pointing out come from listening to people that have not really checked out what the others rightly teach.

• Members

Wow, what website, and you know I believe there are churches like and they are in the minority, but definitely get the most publiciity.

As for the SBC, it matters where you are I believe, my father-in-law was from Fayetteville, Ark. and an evangelist in the SBC, also pastored several churches, from the time period of J. Harold Smith and they were sound and he saw many a revival.

After moving to NM, here it is a whole different story. The Convention is very much based on a hierarchy. You don't have the right papers (degrees) know the right people, have the right size church, give the right amount to Lotty Moon, then you are sure enough withdrawn from, and they have even closed churches down.

He came out of the SBC because they went liberal to the nth degree, I could go on about how they don't allow you to have a certain size church with out certain degrees, the larger one here are all but the mega/contemporary mind sets. And tier book of choice seems to be the CEV or the NIV.

Again it depends on where you are, and true churches are to be autonomous. twocents.gif

• Members

After reading the whole article, I feel this fellow has a beef, and he is trying to pick IFB apart. An IFB Church prOBably was not accepting of what he taught so he is now prOBably trying to pay them back.

SBC, the local church calls the pastor, not the convention. The local church decides on what qualifications the pastor they call has to meet, not the convention. And of course like many other Baptist Churches some of the SBC churches adds to the qualifications that the Bible lays down for that position.

As for things like this goes everything would prOBably go better for everyone if we would all concentrated on furthering the Gospel of Jesus Christ, instead of picking one another to pieces in front of the world.

• Members

That is why we are independent Baptist here, that is we at LWBC, we want to focus on pleasing God by following the Great Commission. Matt. 28:18-20 Was involved in the SBC before I found LWBC and left them. I had a brother-in-law go back in here. Different states different conventions, just saying.

They don't want nothing to do with us as independents unless we compromise on the Bible.

Have found it better to just stay busy working in the LWBC.

As far as the SBC goes I'm done, they maybe ok in your area and you can have them.

Back to essentials and if the meet them, then not. That why we fly a Baptist flag and not the Christian flag, to many compromisers under it.

If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything.

LWBC = Living Word Baptist Church

Oh and he (the website guy) uses Max Lucado for his expert (?). And Jesse Duplantis (?) said we Baptist are right there with him (NOT).

Edited by Bro Jim

• Members

This knee-jerk reaction to Hyles/Fairhaven style IFB-ism is becoming so common.....and then they go the opposite direction and totally leave behind all personal standards and seperation as if God doesn't require any of it (He still does....we have the liberty to follow Him and keep ourselves pure!)

Its sad.

• Administrators

Wow. Spent some time perusing the site. And he says bitterness is okay, because it is a human emotion....even though God warns against it (oops, maybe I took that out of context? :smilie_loco:4 )

He isn't just railing against one "style" of IFB - he's included stuff in his commonalities that don't exist in our church at all, and I'm sure not in any or most of the churches represented here on the forum. As Mitch said, sad!