• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Correcting others!!

• Members

According to several places in the NT, it seems we are taught to help each other out, and one way is that if someone is in error, we are supposed to lovingly rebuke or point out the error and encourage the person to fix it and get right with God. It seems in the NT they did this often...Paul rebuked Peter (I think I have that right) and they were supposed to exhort one another and basically watch out for each other and make sure they were all unified and doing right.

Seems like though, that this doesn't work anymore. I mean, in America, you just don't get into people's business. Say I see someone skipping church alot. If I were to say "Hey it would be good if you could get back into church" I would prOBably be met with some sort of attitude like "Its really none of your business." Or if a parent is letting their teen kiss on other teens, etc, heaven forbid you correct them.

I don't know that I really have a question...its just that sometimes I read verse in the Bible encouraging us to help each other stay right with God... and sometimes I can't help but think "Oh yeah sure, THAT would work...."

Edited by BroMatt

• Members

Unfortunately American Christians are most often far more American than they are Christian. The concept of "American individualism" has not only permeated the nation, but the church as well. American Christians tend to want things their way and they bristle and sometimes even become hostile if someone shines a light on something they are doing that's not in line with Scripture.

If one approaches "Joe" who has been missing a lot of church and says something to him about this it would be very common in America for Joe to respond in a defensive manner and say something such as, "I don't have to go to church all the time and I'm just as good as you, I'll get to heaven as well as you so you should just worry about your own self and stay out of my business."

Such would be a very typical American Christian response. The prOBlem, of course, is that such a response isn't biblical at all and not the sort of response a Christian should have.

American Christians tend to think they are always right, that it's an attack if something they do, or don't do, is questioned, and seek to strike back in a manner to deflect the question and any more attention upon them. Wrong attitude! Christians are to be open to correction, willing to examine their faith, quick to take something to the Word to see whether it is true or not, and willing to submit to Christ and admit their wrong (if they are biblically wrong), and to repent and follow Christ henceforth.

Of course, if the confronted Christians happens to be biblically correct and have confirmation from Scripture and the Holy Ghost of this, they should not be arrogant or spiteful, but rather they should share with the one who confronted them what they have learned from Scripture and seek to help learn what the Word says on the issue.

When we are the ones doing the confronting, it's important that we do so for the right (biblical) reasons and we do so with the right attitude and in the power of the Holy Ghost (submitting to His leading) and not our own. Such must be done in love, kindness, patience and with a true heart to help the other person.

Timing is also an important matter. Better to speak to someone one-to-one most often rather than confronting them in front of their family, friends or others. There are also times it might be best to have another mature Christian present. Again, we need the guidance of the Holy Ghost in order to do this properly.

So, yes, we are to help Christians walk rightly in the Word, we are to confront error, and we will most certainly face a measure of persecution if we do so. If we do this with a heart for Christ and as the Holy Ghost leads, then we are walking in His will and our efforts will be used of the Lord whether we can see it immediately or not.

• Members

According to several places in the NT, it seems we are taught to help each other out, and one way is that if someone is in error, we are supposed to lovingly rebuke or point out the error and encourage the person to fix it and get right with God. It seems in the NT they did this often...Paul rebuked Peter (I think I have that right) and they were supposed to exhort one another and basically watch out for each other and make sure they were all unified and doing right.

Seems like though, that this doesn't work anymore. I mean, in America, you just don't get into people's business. Say I see someone skipping church alot. If I were to say "Hey it would be good if you could get back into church" I would prOBably be met with some sort of attitude like "Its really none of your business." Or if a parent is letting their teen kiss on other teens, etc, heaven forbid you correct them.

I don't know that I really have a question...its just that sometimes I read verse in the Bible encouraging us to help each other stay right with God... and sometimes I can't help but think "Oh yeah sure, THAT would work...."

What about a fellow church member, unrelated to either teen, who purposely sets up a situation so that YOUR teen can be alone with another teen to do those things? Then when you confront the church member, they correct you for not letting the teens "be alone" together when all the time you are the parent and the church memeber is being a busybody. Then, after they repeatedly refuse to admit any wrongdoing, and continue to meddle, God sees fit to call that church member home...........Yes, for some people, it's just too much to admit any wrong and get right with your brother. I guess it's pride. But the Bible says to correct them anyway...else WE will be resonsible. Here are a few verses.

Ezekiel 3:8 When I say unto the wicked, Thou shalt surely die; and thou givest him not warning, nor speakest to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life; the same wicked [man] shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.

Ezekiel 19:17 Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.

Galatians 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Matthew 18 deals with correction or church discipline, back to the Bible. It works, we must make sure it is that which we should be involved in of course and not being busy-bodies. Standards must be set, understood, and then stood by.

• Members

Yes,
Matthew 18.
Go to the brother or offender alone and try to get restoration. If that fails, take i to the next level and the next. That is the right way.

Last night's sermon, by a visiting preacher, dealt with opression by the devil and by men. When we are the victim of any suh opression, we are supposed to rebuke and warn them. In Psalm 137, the children of Israel, namely the musicians, were asked of the Babylonians to make mirth for them. They wanted to hear some music, singing and to see some happiness and rejoicing. This was the response they got; a solemn warning.........
Psalm 137:8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us. 9Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Alot of people take occasion to accuse God with this particular verse; but I see God's grace and mercy in that verse because these Babylonians were being warned. It's hard to do, but we are supposed to warn others when it's necessary to do so..

• Members

Yes,
Matthew 18.
Go to the brother or offender alone and try to get restoration. If that fails, take i to the next level and the next. That is the right way.

Last night's sermon, by a visiting preacher, dealt with opression by the devil and by men. When we are the victim of any suh opression, we are supposed to rebuke and warn them. In Psalm 137, the children of Israel, namely the musicians, were asked of the Babylonians to make mirth for them. They wanted to hear some music, singing and to see some happiness and rejoicing. This was the response they got; a solemn warning.........
Psalm 137:8 O daughter of Babylon, who art to be destroyed; happy shall he be, that rewardeth thee as thou hast served us. 9Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.

Alot of people take occasion to accuse God with this particular verse; but I see God's grace and mercy in that verse because these Babylonians were being warned. It's hard to do, but we are supposed to warn others when it's necessary to do so..

:thumb::amen:

• Members

I've got faith that God's way will work among Christians in 2010.

And no matter how you go about it, the majority of times the one getting corrected will always take to the defensive, and say your to do so in love and accuse you of not doing so in love.

And take notice, when Paul corrected Peter he did not take him to the side, but did so in front of everyone, and I see nothing about Peter complaining that Paul did not do so in love.

One big prOBlem many churches have, preachers, deacons, teachers that needs teaching and not to be teaching.

• Members

I've got faith that God's way will work among Christians in 2010.

And no matter how you go about it, the majority of times the one getting corrected will always take to the defensive, and say your to do so in love and accuse you of not doing so in love.

And take notice, when Paul corrected Peter he did not take him to the side, but did so in front of everyone, and I see nothing about Peter complaining that Paul did not do so in love.

One big prOBlem many churches have, preachers, deacons, teachers that needs teaching and not to be teaching.

:amen: All good points!

No doubt Paul was right for confronting Peter as he did because Peter's offense was public and needed to be addressed publicly. Thankfully, Peter had a heart which truly wanted to serve and follow Christ perfectly so he was open to the correction and accepted it as he allowed the Spirit to convict him.

No doubt there are many preachers and those teaching in church Sunday schools, Bible studies and such which should not be. Too many churches today are in a rush to make people feel welcome and in hopes they will stay they offer them positions they are not ready for.