• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

God or science?

• Members

God or science? A belief in one weakens positive feelings for the other

A person's unconscious attitudes toward science and God may be fundamentally opposed, researchers report, depending on how religion and science are used to answer "ultimate" questions such as how the universe began or the origin of life.

What's more, those views can be manipulated, the researchers found. After using science or God to explain such important questions, most people display a preference for one and a neutral or even negative attitude toward the other. This effect appears to be independent of a person's religious background or views, says University of Illinois psychology professor Jesse Preston, who led the research.

The study appears in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.

Preston and her colleague, Nicholas Epley, of the University of Chicago, wanted to explore how information about science influences a belief in God, and how religious teaching can also cause people to doubt certain scientific theories.

"As far as I know, no one has looked experimentally at an opposition between belief in science and religion," Preston said.

"It seemed to me that both science and religion as systems were very good at explaining a lot, accounting for a lot of the information that we have in our environment," she said. "But if they are both ultimate explanations, at some point they have to conflict with each another because they can't possibly both explain everything."
.... http://www.physorg.com/news148565439.html

It is either you have faith in God or you don't.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

One of the biggest tricks the world has, is to take christians off the argument. Creation science is one of these. They will argue very high on the ladder, while most christians ignore the foundation. Take it to the very basics.

Def: Science: WOAH. Problem already. You see, science in 1989 was defined as "Facts gathered through observation and experimentation" by Webster. starting in 1990, it was defined as "The study and theoretical explanation of natural phenomena"

Well, I can give theoretical explination of any natural phenomena, but the wording is there to take God out of science.

A great question in this argument (debate is wrong word to use given most of my experiences) Is that God at worst, is a Theory, thus science would demand exploration. Given the amount of observation; historical accounts, first person testimonies; it is purely scientific to explore the possibility of God.

When you get an arms in the air "oh yea lets just follow the "god did it" easy answers" argument, rebuttal is simply that no one has seen an atom, and yet they are already teaching about electrons, and even WORSE: QUARKS! Oh my this mystic "ATOM" that no one can see WOOOooooo.

Another rebuttal is pointing out secular scientific arrogance, in that nothing exists until they say it does. Long list of native testimonies of animals that secular scientists scoffed at only for it to be found later, not to mention the chemicals, cures, mathimatics, ect.

They will cop an attitude at this point, that the scientists of that day where just stupid.. and of course we know better, more to the point THEY know better, at which point you can let them know they are to dumb to realize they are dumb, and recite the bible verses dealing with being puffed up with knowledge.

This argument is easy. Given it's so easy, they use simple shell games and pre-programed questions to detract the casual christian. Stay focused on the root of what science is suppose to be and don't let them control the argument and play their games.

• Members

When you get an arms in the air "oh yea lets just follow the "god did it" easy answers" argument, rebuttal is simply that no one has seen an atom, and yet they are already teaching about electrons, and even WORSE: QUARKS! Oh my this mystic "ATOM" that no one can see WOOOooooo.

qwerty guy,
I like to discuss the above with psuedo-scientists. Any conversation of atoms and submicroparticles requires a discussion on reasonable belief based on the observed effect. They don't usually want to stay too long after you mention the observed effect of God on our own life or the millions of sinner-saints before us. If you can get them to admit, they never thought about God in that way, it may be worth an attempt.

I like to give them... Colossians 1:17 "And he is before all things, and by him all things consist." ...then if possible followup with... I'm glad God is all powerful, we don't want all of our atoms scattered around and mixing together. Scientists unlike Chritians don't understand what keeps the atomic particles bonded together.

• Members
God or science? A belief in one weakens positive feelings for the other

A person's unconscious attitudes toward science and God may be fundamentally opposed, researchers report, depending on how religion and science are used to answer "ultimate" questions such as how the universe began or the origin of life.

What's more, those views can be manipulated, the researchers found. After using science or God to explain such important questions, most people display a preference for one and a neutral or even negative attitude toward the other. This effect appears to be independent of a person's religious background or views, says University of Illinois psychology professor Jesse Preston, who led the research.

The study appears in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.

Preston and her colleague, Nicholas Epley, of the University of Chicago, wanted to explore how information about science influences a belief in God, and how religious teaching can also cause people to doubt certain scientific theories.

"As far as I know, no one has looked experimentally at an opposition between belief in science and religion," Preston said.

"It seemed to me that both science and religion as systems were very good at explaining a lot, accounting for a lot of the information that we have in our environment," she said. "But if they are both ultimate explanations, at some point they have to conflict with each another because they can't possibly both explain everything."
.... http://www.physorg.com/news148565439.html

It is either you have faith in God or you don't.

Isaac Newton would not have agreed.

This most beautiful system [The Universe] could only proceed from the dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Sir Isaac Newton