• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Saving cooking grease...

• Members

A friend told me to re-use frying grease...

I hate to waste stuff, so should I just filter the grease and use it for the same meats? Chicken, Pork-chops, Fish, etc. Or will it not matter if I mixed the greases.

Edited by Saved IFB

• Administrators

No, you don't want to mix the greases. PrOBlem with saving grease is that it can become rancid. Put it in an airtight container (best is glass) in the fridge. Bacon grease is the only one I've ever saved, and that only to add to beans. If you want to keep the oil from deep frying, frying some potatoes in it after its initial use can clean it.

• Members

We save bacon grease in the fridge and occasionally reuse cooking oil after we strain it....but you either need to use it the same week, or refrigerate it.

We try not to regularly use THAT much fat in cooking tho....we get enough fat in regular cooking with cheeses and butter!

• Members

We save bacon grease in the fridge and occasionally reuse cooking oil after we strain it....but you either need to use it the same week, or refrigerate it.

We try not to regularly use THAT much fat in cooking tho....we get enough fat in regular cooking with cheeses and butter!

We don't use enough oil to reuse,

I usually only use olive oil, except for frying eggs, when I use sunflower, and sesame oil in stir fry, and sometimes a little walnut oil in sauces. When roasting things like potatoes and parsnips, I use just enough olive oil to coat, them, sprinkle them with salt pepper, garlic and fine mixed herbs (herbes de provence), Any oil left, we pour over the veg, or wipe it out of the pan with a bit of bread. Meat fat, I dspose of, but I try mainly to use lean meat. People say I am extravigant for using olive oil, but they use sonflower and much more than I do and have a large amount to throw away. I consider their food to be boiled in oil.