• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mark 9:1

• Members

As with other prophecies or parables He would make a statement and then later open the understand to His disciples later. They knew the account of Elijah and having met him on th Mount gave them the understanding of Jesus' statement. Jesus was confirming/reiterates Mal. 4:5.

This interpretation does not shed light on Christ's words; rather, it renders them meaningless. He said, "there be SOME of them that stand HERE, which shall not taste of death, till THEY have seen the kingdom of God come with great power" (emphasis added). Jesus could not have been talking about Elias, since (1) Elias wasn't standing "HERE"--the place to which Jesus's words referred, and (2) because Elijah is just one person, and Jesus clearly said there would be more than one person who did not taste death. This statement does not fall into the category of parables which are presented at one point and explained later. Edited by Annie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The prophesied Elijah (John the baptist) had died, though I do not believe John was a reincarnation of Elijah, rather, in the spirit & power.

I agree that Jesus is referring to Pentecost, where the Apostles were witnesses to the risen Christ, ascended to his throne.

Act 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Before you stress David's throne, note:
1Ch 29:23 Then Solomon sat on the throne of the LORD as king instead of David his father, and prospered; and all Israel obeyed him.

Edited by Covenanter

• Members

There have been soom good responses on this discussion.

Indeed Christ did make the statement that some standing there would not taste death until they saw the kingdom come. It indeed did come on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2). That kingdom is in fact the church (Matt 16:18-19).

It is interresting that there are those who continue to look for the kingdom to come despite the words of Christ.

• Members

It is interresting that there are those who continue to look for the kingdom to come despite the words of Christ.

I think that these people have it in their minds that "the kingdom" means something else; therefore, they have to find a different interpretation of Christ's words. The question I have for these people is this: why can't "the kingdom" mean the arrival of the church age at Pentecost?

• Members

I think that these people have it in their minds that "the kingdom" means something else; therefore, they have to find a different interpretation of Christ's words. The question I have for these people is this: why can't "the kingdom" mean the arrival of the church age at Pentecost?

Annie,

I am curious. From your post it seems that you believe that the kingdom is the church and that it has already come. Am I correct that you therefore do not believe that Christ is coming back to reign here on the earth for 1000 years?

• Members

Annie,

I am curious. From your post it seems that you believe that the kingdom is the church and that it has already come. Am I correct that you therefore do not believe that Christ is coming back to reign here on the earth for 1000 years?

No, although I was raised a-mil, I am now a dispensationalist who believes in a pre-trib Rapture, followed by the 1000-year reign of Christ on earth. I'm not dogmatic, and understand various viewpoints on eschatology. I avoid getting swept up in "prophecy conference" type stuff...

I guess I'd say that the church is "the kingdom," but the fact that we are in the church age doesn't mean that "the kingdom" has been completed, or fully realized. The kingdom has "come," has begun being built. It will not be completed until the end of the world. Edited by Annie

• Members

No, although I was raised a-mil, I am now a dispensationalist who believes in a pre-trib Rapture, followed by the 1000-year reign of Christ on earth. I'm not dogmatic, and understand various viewpoints on eschatology. I avoid getting swept up in "prophecy conference" type stuff...

I guess I'd say that the church is "the kingdom," but the fact that we are in the church age doesn't mean that "the kingdom" has been completed, or fully realized. The kingdom has "come," has begun being built. It will not be completed until the end of the world.

Ah, I am glad that you clarified your view for me. While I do not agree with you, I am glad to get to know your view.

• Members

Mark 9:1 reads, And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power." What was Jesus speaking of here?

They saw the kingdom of God with it's King via the transfiguration. The kingdom of God (millenial kingdom) was often pictured as a mountain in the OT. "The mountain of the Lord's house", the "holy hill", "cut out of a mountain without hands", "mountain of his holiness", etc . Moses represented the law and Elijah the prophets. Also, Moses could have represented those who enter the kingdom through death and Elijah represented those who entered the kingdom through translation (rapture). Therefore the disciples saw the kingdom of God in TYPE. Edited by Wilchbla

• Members

They saw the kingdom of God with it's King via the transfiguration. The kingdom of God (millenial kingdom) was often pictured as a mountain in the OT. "The mountain of the Lord's house", the "holy hill", "cut out of a mountain without hands", "mountain of his holiness", etc . Moses represented the law and Elijah the prophets. Also, Moses could have represented those who enter the kingdom through death and Elijah represented those who entered the kingdom through translation (rapture). Therefore the disciples saw the kingdom of God in TYPE.

Isaiah 2:2-4 is not speaking of some "millenial kingdom," but is in fact talking about the 1 kingdom which Christ came to establish which He did in Acts 2. I suppose I need to read Mark 9:1 again....I missed Christ saying that they would see the kingdom in type; I just thought that He stated that they would see the kingdom come with power. Let's just get something clear...the transfiguration is not the fulfilment of Christ's statement.

You know what is interresting? Isaiah 2, Daniel 2, and Joel 2 are all fulfilled in Acts 2.

• Members

They saw the kingdom of God with it's King via the transfiguration. The kingdom of God (millenial kingdom) was often pictured as a mountain in the OT. "The mountain of the Lord's house", the "holy hill", "cut out of a mountain without hands", "mountain of his holiness", etc .

I won't argue with that, except to point out that the millennial kingdom began with Christ's resurrection & ascension, & was established on earth at Pentecost.

Moses represented the law and Elijah the prophets.

Again, I will not disagree. They represent the supreme authority under the old covenant as revealed in the OT Scriptures. Likewise the 2 witnesses in Rev. 11 - God's last word to the nation of Israel.

Note the speculation in the preceding context: Mar 8:27 ¶ And Jesus went out, and his disciples, into the towns of Caesarea Philippi: and by the way he asked his disciples, saying unto them, Whom do men say that I am?
28 And they answered, John the Baptist: but some [say], Elias; and others, One of the prophets.
29 And he saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Peter answereth and saith unto him, Thou art the Christ.

The transfiguration ends the speculation, & confirms the revelation to Peter - Jesus is the Christ. The Father confirms that Jesus is the last word: This is my beloved Son: hear him.

Then in Luke we have the warning:Luke 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead. Sadly they did not, & the kingdom was taken from them.

Also, Moses could have represented those who enter the kingdom through death and Elijah represented those who entered the kingdom through translation (rapture). Therefore the disciples saw the kingdom of God in TYPE.

Pure speculation. We must be guided by Scripture.

• Members

After the last two responses to my post I'm amazed that this site is even considered IFB anymore. What a pathetic mess. ICHABOD.

Wilchbla, why do you think that Christ had to be referring to "the millennial kingdom" in Mark 9:1? And why can't a person be IFB and disagree with that opinion?

• Members

After the last two responses to my post I'm amazed that this site is even considered IFB anymore. What a pathetic mess. ICHABOD.

We've got several here that are not Baptist, that are not the least bit Baptist inclined. There was a topic about unity recently started, that said we were in unity here. Sorry, but when you've got a forum made up of different denominations, there is no unity.

Yet I'll give the benefit of doubt, some may not know what the word unity means.