• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mark 9:1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Not John, Moses' bones are here, John died at about 90 years of age, Christ was crucified, that leaves one. He has not died yet.

I have to say that that is the first time I have ever heard that argument. I have heard of those who say that John did not die which of course isn't true, but never Moses.

The problem, though, is that Moses in fact did die. Jude 9 makes this clear. You even speak of his bones in your statement.

I renew my actual question: What was Jesus speaking of in Mark 9:1?

• Members

Yes two translated Enoch and Elijah/Elias, Enoch walked with God, Elijah went to Heaven in a whirlwind (not a firey chariot) II Kings 2:1. Enoch was not at the Mount of Transfiguration. Elias/Elijah was.

Edited by Bro Jim

• Members

Yes two translated Enoch and Elijah/Elias, Enoch walked with God, Elijah went to Heaven in a whirlwind (not a firey chariot) II Kings 2:1. Enoch was not at the Mount of Transfiguration. Elias/Elijah was.

And yet neither of these two had anything to do with what Jesus said in Mark 9:1 since neither was standing their.

My question is actually more simple than that. I was speaking of the fact that Jesus was speaking of His kingdom, though perhaps it is a more interesting discussion to focus on the point that He said there were some standing there who would not taste of death till they saw that kingdom come with power.

You guys do present arguments I have never heard though. Again, I have heard of those who claim John did not die but never anyone using the fact that Elijah and Enoch did not die to explain Mark 9:1.

• Members

But Jesus' statements in Mark 9:1 had nothing to do with anyone at the Transfiguration. You'll notice what Scripture says:

Mark 9:1-2
1. And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
2. And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

The Transfiguration took place six days after Jesus's words about "those standing there" not tasting death. You have to look back at chapter 8 to see where He was and to whom He was talking.

My opinion of the meaning/fulfillment of this text is that many of those people (mentioned in 8:34) were still alive when they saw "the kingdom of God come with power"...at Pentecost. We know that Peter was there, along with others who had followed Jesus on earth.

Edited by Annie

• Members

As with other prophecies or parables He would make a statement and then later open the understand to His disciples later. They knew the account of Elijah and having met him on th Mount gave them the understanding of Jesus' statement. Jesus was confirming/reiterates Mal. 4:5.

• Members

But Jesus' statements in Mark 9:1 had nothing to do with anyone at the Transfiguration. You'll notice what Scripture says:

Mark 9:1-2
1. And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
2. And after six days Jesus taketh with him Peter, and James, and John, and leadeth them up into an high mountain apart by themselves: and he was transfigured before them.

The Transfiguration took place six days after Jesus's words about "those standing there" not tasting death. You have to look back at chapter 8 to see where He was and to whom He was talking.

My opinion of the meaning/fulfillment of this text is that many of those people (mentioned in 8:34) were still alive when they saw "the kingdom of God come with power"...at Pentecost. We know that Peter was there, along with others who had followed Jesus on earth.

Exactly!!!!! He was clearly speaking of His Kingdom coming on the Day of Pentecost.