• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christmas Dinner

Invicta

• Members

What will you have for Christmas Dinner/Lunch? I bought a Salmon today and froze it (one side and the other cut into 8 steaks, so we may have that, or perhaps turkey. I thought of buying a turkey crown. We don't uusually celebrate Christmas, but as my daughter and her family are visiting, we will need to do something. For the vegetarians we will do a lentil bake and perhaps a lentil Masaka.

• Members

Open faced enchildas, got the colors, red (tomatoes), green (lettuce), and a little spice red or green chile. Here in NM they even call the mixing of red and green chile together, Christmas, so we can have Christmas year round (sic).

• Members

Our traditional Christmas meal is similar to our Thanksgiving meal, except we have ham at Christmas instead of turkey. Cream corn, green beans, candied yams. Since my wife's birthday is also Christmas day, we'll have birthday cake too.

• Administrators

For some reason, years ago we started the tradition of having lasagna on Christmas. We will continue that tradition this year. Lasagna, salad, garlic bread and German chocolate cake. One of the only times of the year we actually have it, so we look forward to it.

• Members

Most people here would have turkey. We had the Christmas lunch today for our old folks lunch club which we call the "Bethany Lunch." We start with a short gospel message, then, grapefruit, followed by Turkey, roast potatoes, carrrots, brussels sprouts, sage and onion stuffing, piggies in blankets (sausages wrapped in bacon) cranberry sauce (I don't know why they call it sauce, it is more like jam.) followed by Christmas pudding, or triffle or gateau. Then we sang carols, and followed that with mince pies and tea of coffee. We usually charge ÂŁ2 for the meal (abt 3$) but we had a gift from the family of a member of the lunch club who had died so we did not charge today.

• Administrators

Most people here would have turkey. We had the Christmas lunch today for our old folks lunch club which we call the "Bethany Lunch." We start with a short gospel message, then, grapefruit, followed by Turkey, roast potatoes, carrrots, brussels sprouts, sage and onion stuffing, piggies in blankets (sausages wrapped in bacon) cranberry sauce (I don't know why they call it sauce, it is more like jam.) followed by Christmas pudding, or triffle or gateau. Then we sang carols, and followed that with mince pies and tea of coffee. We usually charge ÂŁ2 for the meal (abt 3$) but we had a gift from the family of a member of the lunch club who had died so we did not charge today.

I'm sorry for the death in the family, but what a nice thing for those folks to do for your Bethany Lunch! We have a group like that. We call it "Jolly 60's." Ladies of the church send food each week (each lady usually is down for once/month). This morning I sent in rolls and butter. For Christmas, they will likely either have ham or go out to eat. They do a number of fun things.

I'm intrigued by your piggies in blankets. Here in America, pigs in a blanket are usually hot dogs in biscuits. Our (family) pigs in the blanket are sausage in biscuit. When I make the hot dogs in biscuits we always called it dogs in the bed. :icon_mrgreen: Made for fun eating for a little boy!

We'll eat our lasagna on Christmas Eve day, since my hubby won't have to work that afternoon (praise the Lord for a bit of a break!). Last night we were invited over to a friend's house for Christmas Day dinner. (it's becoming a tradition, also). We'll go there, and will prOBably have turkey and ham and all the fixings

• Members

I'm sorry for the death in the family, but what a nice thing for those folks to do for your Bethany Lunch! We have a group like that. We call it "Jolly 60's." Ladies of the church send food each week (each lady usually is down for once/month). This morning I sent in rolls and butter. For Christmas, they will likely either have ham or go out to eat. They do a number of fun things.

I'm intrigued by your piggies in blankets. Here in America, pigs in a blanket are usually hot dogs in biscuits. Our (family) pigs in the blanket are sausage in biscuit. When I make the hot dogs in biscuits we always called it dogs in the bed. :icon_mrgreen: Made for fun eating for a little boy!

We'll eat our lasagna on Christmas Eve day, since my hubby won't have to work that afternoon (praise the Lord for a bit of a break!). Last night we were invited over to a friend's house for Christmas Day dinner. (it's becoming a tradition, also). We'll go there, and will prOBably have turkey and ham and all the fixings

Our piggies in blankets are chipolatas with bacon wrapped around them and then put in the oven. For hot dogs we usually use frankfurters.

Our Bethany lunch is held each Tuesday except in school holidays. It is for the over 60s, but many are over 80 and a number over 90. The lady who played the carols is 91, and one lady who has been unable to come for a long time due to ill health was able to get there yesterday and she is 99, nearly 100. We catered fo about 50 yeasterday, including helpers. We usually have two ladies doing the cooking, assisted by my wife and I who help to prepare vegetables, but our chief cook has been away for a few weeks due to and operation on her foot, so one lady has been going it aand yesterday she had finished it all by the time we arrived. We have another 2 men and one lady who come later and maily do the washing up. Some of the diners are members of our church, some are from other churches and others do not attend a church at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We do a two course meal. We have, in rotation, roast beef and yorksire pudding, roast lamb, roast pork, shepherds pie, beef stew, ham with baked potato and onion rings and one week in the summer we have salad.

Because we charge for the meal, and not everybody who has a meal is a member of our church, we have to be regulated by the local government. All helpers have to have gone on a food hygene course and have a certificate (done). All food has to be prepared on the premises, we are not allowed to send any in. We are inspected by the Environmental Health Officer, nominaly every year, but as they find little amiss,they sometimes leave it a bit longer. They award stars, maximum five at the end of their visit. Last year we received 4, losing one as there was dust under our microwave, This year we received the full 5 stars as I had cleaned it. They call it "Stars on the doors" and you are supposed to put the certificate on your door so that all can see it. Which reminds me that they can visit anytime from next month so I need to make sure it is clean. Most restaurants that I have seen have only 3 or 4 stars. Edited by Invicta