• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jean skirts

Anon

• Members

In yesterday year when women could not find anything proper to wear in the store they would make their own.

I might add, clothes made in the home looked much better than store bought.

Most women today don't know how to do that. I've encountered many women, or spoken with their husbands, who can't even do basic mending. Sewing skills are not commonly taught or passed on anymore.

• Members

Most women today don't know how to do that. I've encountered many women, or spoken with their husbands, who can't even do basic mending. Sewing skills are not commonly taught or passed on anymore.

I know a woman that is about 10 years younger than my 65 that never had a store bought dress until after graduating high school. I feel sure its hard to find such people that's about 10 years younger than her.

Might add, I recall seeing my mother make many dresses during my growing up years, for herself, grandmother, and sister. Actually I think they looked better than most store bought dresses.

I must add, flour sack dresses are very pretty. Edited by Jerry80871852

• 1 month later...
  • Members

In yesterday year when women could not find anything proper to wear in the store they would make their own.

I might add, clothes made in the home looked much better than store bought.

The lack of modest skirts and dresses is what prompted me to learn to sew a few years ago, now I make virtually everything I wear. I might add that skirts are about the easiest thing to learn to sew. You can get along easily enough with a few simple long skirts, and store-bought tops if you don't want to progress beyond basic sewing ability.

One of the great benefits of sewing is that you can create garments that fit your particular physique so your home-sewn clothing always looks like it was made just for you.

I sometimes encounter women who tell me they "wish" they had time to learn to sew, but in the next sentence mention that they spend their evenings idling in front of a television set. :rolleyes: I understand the need to relax, but you can relax very nicely in front of a sewing machine while your hands are doing something useful for yourself and your family. I love spending time in my sewing room, specifically because it *is* a very peaceful, relaxing pasttime. And, an added benefit is that you can easily listen to the Bible or sermons while you are sewing.

Modest dress is simply not beyond the reach of most women. It requires a small amount of effort, but the rewards are shown in dressing in a way that is consistent with Biblical principles.

• Members

Besides, Don't most people just love clothes that are tailored to fit them? No store bought clothes will fit that order.

I still remember one dress that my mother made for my sister from flour sacks, it was so pretty. Wow, some of those flower sacks material was so pretty.

One day Dixie was standing out by the fences, petting our orphan calf we were raising on a bottle. While she was petting the calf, the calf was reaching through the fences chewing on my sisters dress. Needless to say the pretty dress was destroyed. The calf's name, 'Little Jersey,' seemed to have enjoyed chewing up that dress. I think she was proud of her handy work.

We are in the generation of people that have more time saving devices that ever before in human history, yet I believe we all, including me, waste more time than any of our past generations.

• Members
I understand the need to relax, but you can relax very nicely in front of a sewing machine while your hands are doing something useful for yourself and your family.

That's why I gave up golf and learn woodworking, besides the fact that I would usually returned from golf more stressed than I was before I went.

• Members

That's why I gave up golf and learn woodworking, besides the fact that I would usually returned from golf more stressed than I was before I went.

Woodworking is such a wonderful pasttime for a gentleman. How wonderful that you have taken up something that is useful, as well as relaxing. It is a skill you can pass on to the next generation to their benefit. I applaud you, sir! :th_tiphat: I have no doubt your skills will be a blessing to your family!

It seems quite strange to me that developing skills that involve making things yourself is not appreciated these days. People say you can buy your clothes, no need to make them. Why learn carpentry when you can just go to a store and buy what you need. I mentioned to someone the other day that I am learning how to bake bread and the person I spoke to seemed to think it was a waste of time. They said I should just go out and purchase a loaf of bread rather than make one. How regrettable that we have reached a point in our "civilization" that working with one's hands is looked upon with disdain. Edited by Miss Linda

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Jean skirts are fine, but I would say watch out on the shoes and socks. Just because you just bought the shoes doesn't mean they are in style, and the socks aren't really cool. But then again, who cares? :D