• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jean skirts

Anon

• Members

I've never cared about fashion trends and neither has my wife. We wear what we are comfortable in and like (of course, in the bounds of biblical modesty).

Today everyone thinks they have to dress "sexy" and they have to have the coolest new stuff. It's all about "look at me" because I'm trendy...a big spender...stylish...sexy...or whatever.

If anyone thought what I was wearing, or my wife was wearing, indicated we were Christians I would take it as a compliment and then probably forget about it.

The Mennonites and Amish women around here all wear long black dresses. Other than that, most women seem to be wearing some type of pants or shorts. Hardly ever see dresses or skirts unless they are obscenly short.

• Members

Hey, Kitagrl! I live in the South where the jean skirt is a staple. Not all jean skirts are alike. I think it might have been the LENGTH of your skirt that was telltale rather than the fact that it was a jean skirt.

Further, it is always tough when people put you in an age group that you feel you are miiiiiiiilllllllllllllles away from being. Just take it as a compliment to modesty and move on. Further, style is subjective. Dark wash is advice given on shows about style but concerning jeans. I have seen jean skirts (short and long) in all kinds of wash. I think sneakers with the skirt is a no no, but sometimes I still do it depending upon the needs of the day. Otherwise, I stick with sandals (flats if I were up north.)

Hope you are well!

• Members

Hey, Kitagrl! I live in the South where the jean skirt is a staple. Not all jean skirts are alike. I think it might have been the LENGTH of your skirt that was telltale rather than the fact that it was a jean skirt.

Further, it is always tough when people put you in an age group that you feel you are miiiiiiiilllllllllllllles away from being. Just take it as a compliment to modesty and move on. Further, style is subjective. Dark wash is advice given on shows about style but concerning jeans. I have seen jean skirts (short and long) in all kinds of wash. I think sneakers with the skirt is a no no, but sometimes I still do it depending upon the needs of the day. Otherwise, I stick with sandals (flats if I were up north.)

Hope you are well!

Yeah I don't do sneakers unless its with one of my old junky skirts, and then its some Converse low tops (not full bulky sneakers) and a junky shirt...try not to go in public looking like that but occasionally I do end up running to the store! And sometimes when I deliver cakes I wear my Converse with cupcakes on them but then of course I'm wearing an older jean skirt and a bakers coat...people comment on the shoes all the time but not so sure they go with a skirt. haha. But hey, whaddaya do....

• Members

Kitagirl,
Just to share my story.....I attended a jewelry party one time and of course there was a demonstration by the party director concerning fashion. She was wearing an above the knee skirt and lots of jewelry herself.
She showed several posters of what a fashion-conscious lady should/should not wear. Wouldn't you know it? Everything she showed on the "should not" poster described me and what I was wearing. I actually
was wearing a nice dress tea length and pumps, make up, hair done well...but my style was being presented as drab and unappealing. I had to
really fight not to let that bother me. I was so insulted. I was the only one dressed that way and the rest of the ladies had to be blind or stupid not to have noticed that I stood out. The thing is the "should wear" poster was so "sexy, tight, revealing,etc"
I wouldn't want to dress that way. I only went because it was a fundraiser, but that memory revealed how
out of step I am from the world. Guess what?? I don't mind that one bit. The more degraded this world gets, the more different
a woman in any kind of modest skirt and dress is going to appear.

• Members

Okay so today I was getting a test done at the hospital and then was waiting for my husband to pick me up (he had to go pick up our 5 yo from school). I'm wearing a long straight jean skirt and some cute striped socks and casual shoes, and a nice coat. Is that really THAT far out of style? The shoes are comfortable slip ons that I just bought this year (so they can't be that out of style)....and in the waiting room a lady and I were talking and she said she liked my shoes and that they looked comfy and that she liked "granny style" shoes like that. Huh? I don't do granny style...these aren't granny style!

And then while waiting for my hub a kinda strange lady said my outfit was cute and that I must be a Christian. I mean yeah that's fine and good and testimony and all that but....really???? Its THAT far "out of the norm" to just wear a straight jean skirt?????? Like, NOBODY but a "Christian" would wear a straight jean skirt anymore???????

I guess I didn't realize that skirts are truly THAT old fashioned, unless you are getting dressed up for a formal affair in a "little black dress" or something. Man.

I think it's very telling about a woman (moreso if it's women) wearing a long modest skirt and shirt. I know I had shared it on here before but it was something like this that convicted my wife to only wear skirts. There were some church members out and about at German Christmas markets and a German lady came up and asked which church we went to (she mentioned she knew because the 3 women there were wearing skirts). It is VERY telling. That is just one of many reasons I believe the way we dress is very important. Edited by DennisD

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

I was just thinking....

In the New Testament....the Christians were not set apart by their dress, that I know of....for the most part everyone dressed "per culture" except maybe the risque women....

They were set apart by their actions and testimony and their devoted love towards one another, and their vocal testimony to Jesus Christ.

Technically, by me wearing an "old fashioned jean skirt" everywhere I go....doesn't that actually turn people off to the gospel? Nobody is gonna want to be a part of my "religion" if they do not like how I dress.

Its just beginning to frustrate me I guess...when I was younger, it was still semi common to see some skirts and jumpers being worn by women. Now....NOBODY wears them but Amish and Mennonite...oh and me. haha. Isn't this "granny style dress" something that will hinder people from wanting the gospel?

If the culture dresses modestly, then one perhaps doesn't need to be set apart by dress. But if the culture is immodest, how can we help but be set apart by dress? :twocents:

The funny thing is, over half the people that dress in tight, revealing clothes, look HORRID in them because they are overweight and you can see every roll. haha.

You're right! It always amazes me how people can not see how much nicer they would look in a nice, loose, forgiving dress. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I do not think that is necessarily true. We have a large Mennonite and Amish population around where I live, and I have heard many many people say that seeing a woman dressed modestly (such as the cape dresses) is a breath of fresh air to them. They are automatically recognized as Christian and I think they provide a valuable witness even if they say nothing. I am a skirts/dresses only person myself, and I am strongly drawn to the Mennonites and Anabaptists in general for their position on modest attire.

I was just thinking....

In the New Testament....the Christians were not set apart by their dress, that I know of....for the most part everyone dressed "per culture" except maybe the risque women....

They were set apart by their actions and testimony and their devoted love towards one another, and their vocal testimony to Jesus Christ.

Technically, by me wearing an "old fashioned jean skirt" everywhere I go....doesn't that actually turn people off to the gospel? Nobody is gonna want to be a part of my "religion" if they do not like how I dress.

Its just beginning to frustrate me I guess...when I was younger, it was still semi common to see some skirts and jumpers being worn by women. Now....NOBODY wears them but Amish and Mennonite...oh and me. haha. Isn't this "granny style dress" something that will hinder people from wanting the gospel?

• Members

I always appreciate it when the women around me dress modest. It's frustrating when women, especially in a church, are showing to much below the neck, above the knee or have clothes so tight they might well be wearing nothing at all. Having people approach you about dressing modest can be a great way to share the gospel. No one is going to be turned off from the gospel because you wear a dress. There are bigger problems in play instead.

• Members

I always appreciate it when the women around me dress modest. It's frustrating when women, especially in a church, are showing to much below the neck, above the knee or have clothes so tight they might well be wearing nothing at all. Having people approach you about dressing modest can be a great way to share the gospel. No one is going to be turned off from the gospel because you wear a dress. There are bigger problems in play instead.

:amen:

• Members

Right, rebellion against God.

• Members

Right, rebellion against God.

Unfortunately, it's become rather common to accept women rebelling against God in these, and other areas, which leads to men and children rebelling as well as others. Fear of a woman's emotional wrath silences far too many pastors, dads, husbands and others.

• Members

The barber that cuts my hair, him and wife is over 70, told me they went in a store in our hometown trying to find a skirt for his wife. They told them they had not such thing, if she wanted jeans, pants, they could fix her up.

No wonder, it seems at least 75 % maybe even much more, of women wear jeans and pants.

My mother never had a pair of pants on in her life time. Yet in our day there is few women that live the role that God gave them. I might add, most men do no better.