• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Music

coc333

• Members

I am not certain if this is the correct place to ask this question but since it is on music it seems like the best spot. If it is in the wrong spot the perhaps the moderators can move it to the correct spot.

Do IFB (I know that there are others on the site) use mechanical instruments in worship service? I ask since I don't know. Most baptist that I know do use them, but I know there are those who don't.

Thanks to those who can provide an answer.

• Members

I am not certain if this is the correct place to ask this question but since it is on music it seems like the best spot. If it is in the wrong spot the perhaps the moderators can move it to the correct spot.

Do IFB (I know that there are others on the site) use mechanical instruments in worship service? I ask since I don't know. Most baptist that I know do use them, but I know there are those who don't.

Like a Clavinova?

Then yes we use one when our music leader is going to be away. Edited by 1Tim115

• Members

Isn't a piano a mechanical instrument? Or do you mean "canned" music...like prerecorded accompaniments and sound tracks? Our church uses only "live" instruments in worship services. There's not a policy against "canned" music; we just have no need to use it.

• Members

Isn't a piano a mechanical instrument? Or do you mean "canned" music...like prerecorded accompaniments and sound tracks? Our church uses only "live" instruments in worship services. There's not a policy against "canned" music; we just have no need to use it.

Yes, I am speaking about instruments such as a piano.

• Members

Yes, I am speaking about instruments such as a piano.

OK, gotcha. Yes, our church uses several kinds of musical instruments in worship (piano, organ, violin, viola, cello, flute, trumpet, etc.). We believe that woship through musical instruments is in accordance with the biblical pattern laid out in several Psalms (Psalm 150, for one, which states: "Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals"). The ancient Hebrews used musical instruments and dance (cultural dance--not anything that even comes close to resembling the kind of dance our fleshly culture has embraced) in their worship of God.

I understand that some churches (Church of Christ, for one) do not allow instruments in their services.

• Administrators

Our church has almost a full orchestra (I say almost because we don't have a bass player - in the past we did, but he was a college student and moved on after graduation). Many of those in our orchestra can play more than one instrument so if the piece of music requires it we have it (for instance, we have several flautists. One lady plays the piccolo, so if it is needed, she plays it and we still have flutes). Since it is an orchestra, we also have percussion instruments. Drums are a controversy, and many IFB don't like any of them. That's fine. We do not have a snare set like a rock and roll band, but we do have several different drums for different sounds during the piece. Percussion instruments held with the timing of music and truly add a fuller sound.

As Annie stated, there is precedence for using instruments with worship. There is also much in the Psalms that encourage praising the Lord with instruments as well as voice. There are churches who do use them and churches who don't. It's a matter of choice and neither is actually wrong if they believe that is the way God would have them run their services.

One thing I know for sure about our orchestra. If at any time our pastor felt that we were not honoring God with what is played, the orchestra would be disbanded.

• Members

I've seen a few that had both piano & organ, yet most I've been to use only a piano. I've seen some sing a special and use canned music. Personally I do not like canned music. I understand why some use canned music, they're to lazy to get together with a piano player to practice, so they practice with canned music.

My mother played the piano in the church I grew up in, she spent much time with those who sing specials and such so they could practice singing their song or songs.

Looking back I find it wonderful having so much Christian music and singing in our house, for most of the practicing took place in our living room.

Today everyone in is such a hurry and do not take the time to spend with other Christians, more especially many of the younger ones that sings specials in our churches.

I personally do not like choirs nor a orchestra. I've seen to many that are in church only for the singing and music, and many of them will play and sing for anyone and any church not paying the least bit of attention to what the church teaches.

I've stated this before, I admires churches of Christ on one issue, unlike many Baptist Churches they have not allowed their churches to get corrupted by music, filled up with worldly music and musicians, thus having many members just because of the musical opportunities offered. That is if the musical opportunities were not there they would move on to another church that offers it not caring the least bit what the teachings are.

Seems some churches will do anything to cut the time spent preaching and the feeding of the flock replacing it with musical entertainment.

• Members

I've seen a few that had both piano & organ, yet most I've been to use only a piano. I've seen some sing a special and use canned music. Personally I do not like canned music. I understand why some use canned music, they're to lazy to get together with a piano player to practice, so they practice with canned music.

My mother played the piano in the church I grew up in, she spent much time with those who sing specials and such so they could practice singing their song or songs.

Looking back I find it wonderful having so much Christian music and singing in our house, for most of the practicing took place in our living room.

Today everyone in is such a hurry and do not take the time to spend with other Christians, more especially many of the younger ones that sings specials in our churches.

I personally do not like choirs nor a orchestra. I've seen to many that are in church only for the singing and music, and many of them will play and sing for anyone and any church not paying the least bit of attention to what the church teaches.

I've stated this before, I admires churches of Christ on one issue, unlike many Baptist Churches they have not allowed their churches to get corrupted by music, filled up with worldly music and musicians, thus having many members just because of the musical opportunities offered. That is if the musical opportunities were not there they would move on to another church that offers it not caring the least bit what the teachings are.

Seems some churches will do anything to cut the time spent preaching and the feeding of the flock replacing it with musical entertainment.

Actually Jerry, I find that when one turns to entertainment to attract others, it will not be long before he/she must find some new form of entertainment to keep them.

• Members

Actually Jerry, I find that when one turns to entertainment to attract others, it will not be long before he/she must find some new form of entertainment to keep them.

It does, and I've seen many of our Baptist Churches do just that. And I can nearly guarantee many of them would would disagree with me very unkindly.

• Members

Our church only uses a piano. It's not a small church, but it's not huge either. There's no room in our sanctuary for an orchestra. And from what my husband gathered when he attended a Discipleship class they aren't much for anything beyond a piano. On occasion one gentleman will get up and play his guitar and sing a couple songs but that is very rare. They did talk that night about getting all the guitar players together to practice and maybe do something, I think that would be a nice little treat for the men to use their talents. My husband plays guitar and should play it more with Christian music than he does so I'm all for the guys getting together to do that.

I think orchestras are beautiful but I wouldn't be interested in having part of my worship service. We keep it simple with a few songs in the beginning (typically one or two by the choir and one by the congregation) and then another song at the end during invitation with the congregation. The choir doesn't stay up front the whole time either. The preacher doesn't want the church to be distracted from the word I'm sure, so during one of the congregational singings in the beginning they filter out in to the pews.

• Members

I've hear some people play the guitar and sing and or play for someone that was singing that sounded real good as long as they keep the country western sound out of it.

Yet I don't care to see someone who plays music & sings at drinking parties, night clubs, and such on week nights, them play and or sing good old hymns in church come Sunday.

• Members

My husband does not believe in using canned music because once you start allowing it, its very hard to control (as far as whether the background music is good, questionable, or just downright bad for church purposes.)

We have a piano and organ but our organist will be taking off to college this summer....

• Members

:amen: This post fits very well!

We have a piano and an organ in our church. The organ dates back to the 1800s. Our associate pastor plays a guitar with some songs, with most songs accompanied by the piano and sometimes the organ.

I've never cared for choirs, orchestras or bands in a church. I've witnessed too much focus upon the music in such situations and many prOBlems among those competing to be involved, to lead, to stand out. I also don't find listening to these to be overly edifying and even when singing hymns as they play or sing seems to detract from focused worship of God rather than enhance it.

More times than I can count I've seen folks flock to churches based upon the entertainment factor. This not only includes entertaining music, but also entertaining childrens Sunday school and youth programs.

Unfortunately I've been in some services over the years where there might be 10-15 minutes of "preaching" (so watered down it's really hard to call it actual preaching) sandwiched in between 20-30 minutes of "worship music" on both sides.

• Members

There are two Churches of Christ, those who have music and those who do not.

In my local church:
Musical instrument accompaniment is just fine with me as well as solo music on stringed instruments. The important aspect of a music ministry is to glorify God and minister to the hearers. I do not enjoy all forms of music, I have a tradional Christian hymn prefererence with lyrics based on scripture. We have a piano and a clavinova at my church. The piano is most often played by our music leader. When he is not at the piano he is at the clavinova. When he is not present or knows he won't be present, he plays and records music to be played back on the clavinova. I've heard our singing without background music and we do make a joyful noise however, the background music seems to improve our vocal abilities.

• Members

My husband does not believe in using canned music because once you start allowing it, its very hard to control (as far as whether the background music is good, questionable, or just downright bad for church purposes.)

We have a piano and organ but our organist will be taking off to college this summer....

I've noticed this with canned music. It seems once it becomes used very much that suddenly there are donations of music folks like that they expect to be played and there are more requests for "modern" music.

We have one main organ player but all our piano players can play the organ too. This is prOBably a good thing because our main organist is an older lady who has been playing at this church for 40 years. We have three piano players who rotate playing and a couple others who can play too.

Once this year one of our piano ladies had her grandson play the piano as she played the flute during one hymn. That was nice. It's good to see our youth involved.

I don't know if I remembered to mention this earlier this year or not, but currently over half the local schools first grade class is in our Sunday school! There are 18 in the schools first grade class and by the grace of God 12 of them are in our first grade Sunday school class.