• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Homeschooling Past 12th Grade.

• Members

One can take correspondence courses or online courses and gain college credit, and even a degree, from home.

Of course, the option is also there to attend a Christian college or if for some strange reason they want to, they can go to a secular college.

• Members

Does Homeschooling extend into Higher Education? Once Homeschooling is complete how is additional (Higher) education handled?

Right now, we're planning to send the kids to a Christian university after they finish high school. (We plan to homeschool all the way through senior high school.)

• Members

One can take correspondence courses or online courses and gain college credit, and even a degree, from home.

Of course, the option is also there to attend a Christian college or if for some strange reason they want to, they can go to a secular college.

Christian college? What's that? :unsure:
God bless,
Joel ><>.
2 Chronicles 7:14.

• Members

Yes, my husband and I went to a great Christian university...the same one to which we are hoping to send our kids. It's definitely not perfect. We're glad we live close enough that the kids will still be able to come home on weekends occasionally. Our hope is that by the time our kids are 18 years old, having been trained and ingrained in the ways of the Lord (after being carefully homeschooled for their whole lives), they will be firm in their convictions, and mature enough to handle whatever pressures come their way. (We have been careful to make sure they've had "real life" experiences along the way...contact with unsaved people, etc.)

Something we're planning to do with our kids before college is this: after they finish high school, we'd like them to take a year off school...either to help a missionary effort, or to work a job, or whatever else God might have for them. We want them to understand that the world is a whole lot bigger than the "bubble" of the Christian university...that there are things far more important than a clique of friends, or flirting with guys, or whatever other frivolous activities take place on a college campus. Such activities do have their place, but they're not "real life," and we want our kids to be "solid" and grounded enough to know that. We'll see what happens; only God knows. We trust that He will give us the wisdom we need to make the best decisions for our kids. They belong to Him.

• Members

Is there a problem with saying what constitutes a good Christian college? If not...what constitutes a good Christian college?

I think this is a great question...Not sure what problem there could be in asking it. IMO, a good Christian college/university...

1. presents a solid academic program taught by qualified professors (Hubby and I prefer liberal arts/university over "Bible colleges.")
2. requires students to take Bible classes (again, taught by qualified professors) and/or attend chapel services
3. has an effective plan in place to disciple students in both structured and informal ways
4. maintains order on campus
5. sets high expectations for students

No doubt there are more, but these are what came to my mind first. (It goes without saying that the institution should be doctrinally solid.) Edited by Annie

• Members

You have listed some great premises, Annie.

I have seen and talked to many who have a variety of ideas of what is right and is not right...after leaving to lower-level education system. I have never attended a Christian School, and as such I am in the dark as it pertains to what they constitute. I do know that while growing up many talked about how "religious" schools did not equip the kids for the higher education system. And thus was setting them up for failure.

• Members

You have listed some great premises, Annie.

I have seen and talked to many who have a variety of ideas of what is right and is not right...after leaving to lower-level education system. I have never attended a Christian School, and as such I am in the dark as it pertains to what they constitute. I do know that while growing up many talked about how "religious" schools did not equip the kids for the higher education system. And thus was setting them up for failure.

Yeah, I think that's unfortunately true of some Christian high schools (and homeschools, too). I think one good way to make sure that your school/homeschool is doing the job is to see how its students' test scores compare with the test scores of the public schools. At the Christian elementary and high school I attended growing up, the test scores were consistently higher than those of the public schools.

• Members

But is not there more then just test scores to compare? What checks do one use in comparison other then test scores? What do you use while home schooling your little ones to compare...

Sorry I just read The Norton Anthology of English Literature, so my writing skills have been skewed a little.

• Administrators

Sorry I just read The Norton Anthology of English Literature, so my writing skills have been skewed a little.

I love the Norton Lit Anthologies!

As to test scores - actually, even though so many public schools are doing away with testing, it is one of the most accurate ways of assessing what a child has learned.

• Members

I love the Norton Lit Anthologies!

As to test scores - actually, even though so many public schools are doing away with testing, it is one of the most accurate ways of assessing what a child has learned.

Stop the presses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doing away with testing???

• Members

But is not there more then just test scores to compare? What checks do one use in comparison other then test scores? What do you use while home schooling your little ones to compare...

I don't know of anything else that formally compares my children's academic achievement to the achievement of others in their age group than some kind of standardized test. My kids take the Otis Lennon School Ability Test and the Standard Achievement Test every year.

I don't know what LuAnne is saying; maybe she'll explain further. But I do know that as a result of the "No Child Left Behind" policy of G.W. Bush, public schools are required to do end-of-grade testing every year.

• Administrators

There's actually a bit of a furor going on in schools as to whether or not testing does any good. Different local schools have done away with year-end standardized tests (some have done so if those tests determined whether or not someone passes, which is actually a good thing...the entire year should be taken into account).

I don't keep up on it as much as I used to, but I know that some "educators" are trying to say that testing harms a child's psyche. One problem that surfaced from standardized tests was that teachers were teaching for the tests. And in some cases, poor (academically) students were encouraged to stay home on test days...