• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Contemprary Worship in Baptist Churches!

SeanElvis

• Members

Hi Guys,

I was visiting at Baptist Church in this area. I had not been to this Baptist Church in some 20 years. and I must admit, I was shocked. When I first got saved, it was strictly Hymns and that was it. I was quite shocked when they were singing contemporary music. Folks, as an ex-pentecostal, of 20 years. I can tell you, they were singing the SAME songs of the Pentecostal Churches!!!!!! I was totally stunned! :? :shock: :freak: :Ticking Since when do Baptist's sing the same songs of the Apostate Church? (see 2 Timothy 3) Thanks be to the Lord, that the Church I am a member of, ISN'T singing those songs! We're sticking to the hymns!

This link better explains what I'm talking about:http://www.wayoflife...charismusic.htm

It's a sad, sad state of affairs.

:( :cry: :bawling:

CIS

Edited by BroMatt

• Members

It depends upon the particular Baptist church. Some are hymns only, some use a mix of hymns and some more modern songs, and some are even pretty much CCM only.

The falling away has effected all church denominations and names. Regardless of the name of the church, we must test each one by the Word of God because their name doesn't tell us what it once did.

• Members

All denominations is right, it is even creeping into IFB churches, it is also amazing how the many of these other churches especially the younger ones have never heard good, gospel, hymns. Had some visitors from a non-denomination (believe anything stand for nothing) church. My daughter sang and their comments were, "She sings beautiful, it is so vintage." (she is 15 years old, at least for 33 more days.)

• Members

I'm not surprised, for many of our Baptist Churches has gotten so liberal that they join together with the Pentecostal Churches in worshiping our Lord. And they bring their singing back to their churches. Many churches are so watered down that they no longer favor a true New Testament Church.

• Members

I really do not understand why some believe it is wrong to worship using one style of music over another. Worship comes from the heart. Worship in Scripture is very diverse. King David danced in the streets in a manner that people thought he was drunk when he was praising God. The Psalms are full of worship through voices, cymbals, drums, horns, and all sorts of instruments. On the day of Pentecost, people thought those who came to Christ were drunk due to the manner in which they were acting. In the Jewish temple, worship was very serious and reverent. In the early church in Acts, worship in church was probably quaint due to meeting in homes.

Worship comes from the heart and is influenced by culture. In church history, worship has evolved. In the Resnaissance, high church music was the primary mode, and orchestras and choirs were used extensively. Later, a plethora of hymn writers came about and wrote wonderful lyrics and tunes, many of which are still in use today (I will note that some were appauled at the hymns because they were "worldly" when written, many written to bar tunes, etc.). In the late 20th century, more worship tunes were penned, and more new songs continue to be penned today. As in all eras, there are some good and some not so good.

The style does not matter. What matters is that worship comes from the heart of the people in the church. No, a church shoudl not change its style to attract more people, but worship style will evolve as culture changes because worship is an expression of gratitude and praise from the heart. Worship will look very different in Kenya than it does here. Tribes in Africa will likely use much of the musical styles of their culture, because that is an expression of themselves in reaction to what God has done in their lives. Worship style in the 1950's will be different than today because the culture has changed. I am not saying culture should dictate worship style. What I am saying is that worship, being a person's response to Christ, will be influenced by the culture in which they live. It is inevitable.

All I am saying is that if a church is composed of peopel where true, authentic worship is traditional and in the style of solely old hymns sung with only a piano, that is great! However, in other cultures, that musical style may not best enable people to worship God with no inhabition. In other churches, true, authentic worship may include a full choir, with an organ added. that is great and beautiful in the sight of God! In others, it may include a full orchestra.. That is great, and beautiful in the sight of God! In Africa, it may include many tribal drums and other native instruments. That is good, and beautiful in the sight of God! In other churches, it may include a drum set, guitar, bass guitar, piano and mandolin. That is good and great in the sight of God! In others, it may iclulde a bluegrass/gospel style music. That is good and great int eh sight of God! In others, it may include drums, saxiphones, trumpets, and a bass guitar. That is good and great in the sight of God! Worship is not conforming to a cookie cutter style. Worship is where our hearts are poured out before the almighty throne of God. It is using our talents corporately in lifting up the name of Christ. God has created a diverse world. Culture in the US will differ from Africa, from China, from Japan, from Europe, from South America. Worship is born out of the hearts of people. It may include high church and much reverence. It may include dancing and lifting up our hands to the Lord. It may include many things. Scriputre does not dictate worship style. THere is nothing to be sad about.

I have been parts of churches with all of the worship styles above listed (except for Kenya)...I have been in churches where gospel/bluegrass was used as the mode, where hymns were sung accapelal, where a piano and organ were used, where a full orchestra was used, where a jazz type band was used, and my current curch uses a modern style band. You know what? It is all good! It is all beautiful, provided it is born out of the hearts of people. The only church where worship was used improperly was when a traditional church (hymns piano and organ) tried to impose a new worship style (a worship band) to attract more people. That was not worship born out of the heart of the church, and it caused great harm in the church. However, where worship is true and authentic, God will be pleased.

• Members

I'm not posting this to debate this issue, its been debated several times on this board. I'm just making a point.

There is a scriptural way of doing all things and we need to heed God and His way. What people feel in their heart, their emotions, are worthless, unless it lines up with His Word.

Keep the world and its stuff out of our churches, for its not of God. I might add, I don't expect everyone to understand this, but you will find some on this message board that understand this quite well.

I've been there and seen the "CCM/Praise" music in a "church" in Texas. The pastor's wife in tight bluejeans bound onto the stage (podium) and was dancing around the stage with a wiggle which would make female hard rock&rollers envious. The lead in song was a rock&roll song...I guess the intent was to get the spirit moving. Speakers blasting, large screen monitors close ups on the performers, whewww...the place was shaking! You couldn't as much hear it as you could feel it and it wasn't Spirit filling. It sure got the crowd into a frenzy especially all the young men up front and center. Before the first lead in performance ended my son and I were out the door. I hope there was something God honoring which took place after we left because what I saw resembled the lead in to a 70s rock orgy.

Edification...exactly what was being edified? If that was decently and in order then so are the native ancestral spirit worshippers around a fire with bones in their noses.

Yes, I know this is not peculiar to Texas but that's where I saw it.

I'll take a seat now.

• Members

This side of the pond, "Baptist" means the immersion of adults, & in some Baptist churches, saving faith in Christ is required. Music can be anything, even hymns & Psalms but more often CCM.

Yes, I understand well what the name Baptist means, and what true Baptist Churches teach about being saved, yet all do not use God honoring music, for when the music starts, they stop following God, they're on a slippery slope.

• Members

I really do not understand why some believe it is wrong to worship using one style of music over another. Worship comes from the heart. Worship in Scripture is very diverse. King David danced in the streets in a manner that people thought he was drunk when he was praising God. The Psalms are full of worship through voices, cymbals, drums, horns, and all sorts of instruments. On the day of Pentecost, people thought those who came to Christ were drunk due to the manner in which they were acting. In the Jewish temple, worship was very serious and reverent. In the early church in Acts, worship in church was probably quaint due to meeting in homes.

Worship comes from the heart and is influenced by culture. In church history, worship has evolved. In the Resnaissance, high church music was the primary mode, and orchestras and choirs were used extensively. Later, a plethora of hymn writers came about and wrote wonderful lyrics and tunes, many of which are still in use today (I will note that some were appauled at the hymns because they were "worldly" when written, many written to bar tunes, etc.). In the late 20th century, more worship tunes were penned, and more new songs continue to be penned today. As in all eras, there are some good and some not so good.

The style does not matter. What matters is that worship comes from the heart of the people in the church. No, a church shoudl not change its style to attract more people, but worship style will evolve as culture changes because worship is an expression of gratitude and praise from the heart. Worship will look very different in Kenya than it does here. Tribes in Africa will likely use much of the musical styles of their culture, because that is an expression of themselves in reaction to what God has done in their lives. Worship style in the 1950's will be different than today because the culture has changed. I am not saying culture should dictate worship style. What I am saying is that worship, being a person's response to Christ, will be influenced by the culture in which they live. It is inevitable.

All I am saying is that if a church is composed of peopel where true, authentic worship is traditional and in the style of solely old hymns sung with only a piano, that is great! However, in other cultures, that musical style may not best enable people to worship God with no inhabition. In other churches, true, authentic worship may include a full choir, with an organ added. that is great and beautiful in the sight of God! In others, it may include a full orchestra.. That is great, and beautiful in the sight of God! In Africa, it may include many tribal drums and other native instruments. That is good, and beautiful in the sight of God! In other churches, it may include a drum set, guitar, bass guitar, piano and mandolin. That is good and great in the sight of God! In others, it may iclulde a bluegrass/gospel style music. That is good and great int eh sight of God! In others, it may include drums, saxiphones, trumpets, and a bass guitar. That is good and great in the sight of God! Worship is not conforming to a cookie cutter style. Worship is where our hearts are poured out before the almighty throne of God. It is using our talents corporately in lifting up the name of Christ. God has created a diverse world. Culture in the US will differ from Africa, from China, from Japan, from Europe, from South America. Worship is born out of the hearts of people. It may include high church and much reverence. It may include dancing and lifting up our hands to the Lord. It may include many things. Scriputre does not dictate worship style. THere is nothing to be sad about.

I have been parts of churches with all of the worship styles above listed (except for Kenya)...I have been in churches where gospel/bluegrass was used as the mode, where hymns were sung accapelal, where a piano and organ were used, where a full orchestra was used, where a jazz type band was used, and my current curch uses a modern style band. You know what? It is all good! It is all beautiful, provided it is born out of the hearts of people. The only church where worship was used improperly was when a traditional church (hymns piano and organ) tried to impose a new worship style (a worship band) to attract more people. That was not worship born out of the heart of the church, and it caused great harm in the church. However, where worship is true and authentic, God will be pleased.

Your post is a perfect illustration of a statement that I make in my book The Day the Music Died (page 36):

"If we allow music to be the focal point of our church services then we are well on our way to adopting the philosophy of the contemporary Christian music movement. Their philosophy equates worship with music and only music. This is why a so-called “worship leader” is nothing more than a glorified song leader that has a rock and roll band as a backup." Edited by brosmith

• Members

I've been there and seen the "CCM/Praise" music in a "church" in Texas. The pastor's wife in tight bluejeans bound onto the stage (podium) and was dancing around the stage with a wiggle which would make female hard rock&rollers envious. The lead in song was a rock&roll song...I guess the intent was to get the spirit moving. Speakers blasting, large screen monitors close ups on the performers, whewww...the place was shaking! You couldn't as much hear it as you could feel it and it wasn't Spirit filling. It sure got the crowd into a frenzy especially all the young men up front and center. Before the first lead in performance ended my son and I were out the door. I hope there was something God honoring which took place after we left because what I saw resembled the lead in to a 70s rock orgy.

Edification...exactly what was being edified? If that was decently and in order then so are the native ancestral spirit worshippers around a fire with bones in their noses.

Yes, I know this is not peculiar to Texas but that's where I saw it.

I'll take a seat now.

We visited a similar church a couple years ago in Missouri. They started with "praise & worship" music that was exceedingly loud. Way too loud. They were rockin' hard. Even when they performed a slower song they had the speakers cranked so loud the "quiet" song was too loud. After an overly long time of this, with a great deal of repetition at the end of several songs, they band and singers finally left the stage. The pastor, who is about 80, came to the podium and praised the music. He then began a sermon that started as if it might be good but quickly detoured into story time. The pastor went on to go down several rabbit trail stories and never got back to the point he said he was preaching on until the very end when he did a rapid tie-up of the "sermon".

No edification, just ringing ears. :icon_sad:

• Members

Your post is a perfect illustration of a statement that I make in my book The Day the Music Died (page 36):

"If we allow music to be the focal point of our church services then we are well on our way to adopting the philosophy of the contemporary Christian music movement. Their philosophy equates worship with music and only music. This is why a so-called “worship leader” is nothing more than a glorified song leader that has a rock and roll band as a backup."

:amen: Worship isn't music. Worship doesn't require music. Music isn't supposed to be the focus of worship.

• Members

I think Contemporary Christian Music takes the glory away from the Lord and puts it on the artist. brosmith, forgive me if you said that in your book that I just finished reading. I agree with your book, and think that if the church wants to remain separate from the world accepting CCM in to the church defeats that entire purpose.

It is sad to see churches incorporate that style of music. Listen to it on your own, although I highly do not recommend it, but don't bring it in to my church.

• Members

It all depends on the heart and how it is structured.

FOr example, in the church I currently attend, the band is off to the side and you can't really see them. The focal point is a wooden cross at the front. The music comes from the heart of the people, many of the songs written by people in our congregation. Music is an element, as is Scripture reading, prayer a sermon and communion.

I've seen 0other churches where it does seem showy, and that is not right. However, I don't think you can judge solely by the style of music. Like I said, and African church would look far different than what we are accustomed to.

I don't know how you can dismiss the Psalms, the drums, cymbals and horns praising God, David dancing in the streets, people thinking converts were drunk on the day of Pentecost.

Help me understand, cause I'm having much trouble. I can understand if you say you must only use Psalms because that is in the text. I can follow that logic, but I cannot follow the logic of hymns written after Biblical times being ok, but songs written today not.