• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Misappropriation of Funds

• Members

A bi-vocational pastor of a sister church has been "misappropriating" some church funds for his personal/family use. The church has authorized $200 a month for his "living expenses," yet he's been taking an extra $20 or so here and there (He's the treasurer because the two men in his congregation have turned the jOB down). He has a plan to pay the money back and has offered his resignation. His eight-member congregation will meet Wednesday night to decide whether to accept it.

Should he remain in the pastorate?

• Administrators

I think that would be up to the congregation of the local church to decide. If I was a member it depends on a few things whether I would want him to leave or not. Most cases like this I think it is best for the pastor to step down for awhile.

• Members

Sounds like there is A LOT more to the story.....on both sides. (As far as the situation...is the pastor having severe financial prOBlems...jOB....church being honest and fair with the pastor....what was the money needed for...etc...such small amounts of money seems to be more of a need than just simply stealing money, and I know pastors who stole thousands...)

However taking money that is not yours is never acceptable as a pastor so....yes he should offer to step down, if for no other reason than the fact his church will never trust him again. But I don't necessarily think he is disqualified.

That is SO why the pastor should avoid doing the finances of the church if he can at all avoid it.

• Members

I'm leaning that way as well, pastorj. Kitagrl, believe me, I discussed all of your comments with him.

This puts me in a really awkward position. He's asked me to moderate the congregational meeting, and he will not be attending. I've never been involved with something like this involving a close friend.

• Administrators

I'm leaning that way as well, pastorj. Kitagrl, believe me, I discussed all of your comments with him.

This puts me in a really awkward position. He's asked me to moderate the congregational meeting, and he will not be attending. I've never been involved with something like this involving a close friend.

Rough spot for you!! I'd have to say that I agree with PastorJ and BroMatt. $20 or $20,000, it wasn't his money to take. Praying for wisdom for you, your friend and the congregation.