• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

95 Theses Against Dispensationalism

• Members

Variations Within Dispensationalism

The above features characterize the beliefs of those within the dispensational tradition. However, as Blaising writes, "Dispensationalism has not been a static tradition." 8 There is no standard creed that freezes its theological development at any given point in history. Blaising offers three forms of dispensational thought:
1. Classical Dispensationalism (ca. 1850—1940s) Classical dispensationalism refers to the views of British and American dispensationalists between the writings of Darby and Chafer's eight-volume Systematic Theology. The interpretive notes of the Scofield Reference Bible are often seen as the key representation of the classical dispensational tradition.9
One important feature of classical dispensationalism was its dualistic idea of redemption. In this tradition, God is seen as pursuing two different purposes. One is related to heaven and the other to the earth. The "heavenly humanity was to be made up of all the redeemed from all dispensations who would be resurrected from the dead. Whereas the earthly humanity concerned people who had not died but who were preserved by God from death, the heavenly humanity was made up of all the saved who had died, whom God would resurrect from the dead." 10
Blaising notes that the heavenly, spiritual, and individualistic nature of the church in classical dispensationalism underscored the well-known view that the church is a parenthesis in the history of redemption.11 In this tradition, there was little emphasis on social or political activity for the church.
Key theologians : John Nelson Darby, C. I. Scofield, Lewis Sperry Chafer
2. Revised or Modified Dispensationalism (ca.1950—1985) Revised dispensationalists abandoned the eternal dualism of heavenly and earthly peoples. The emphasis in this strand of the dispensational tradition was on two peoples of God—Israel and the church. These two groups are structured differently with different dispensational roles and responsibilities, but the salvation they each receive is the same. The distinction between Israel and the church, as different anthropological groups, will continue throughout eternity.
Revised dispensationalists usually reject the idea that there are two new covenants—one for Israel and one for the church. They also see the church and Israel as existing together during the millennium and eternal state.
Key theologians : John Walvoord, Dwight Pentecost, Charles Ryrie, Charles Feinberg, Alva J. McClain.
3. Progressive Dispensationalism (1986—present) What does "progressive" mean? The title "progressive dispensationalism" refers to the "progressive" relationship of the successive dispensations to one another.12 Charles Ryrie notes that, "The adjective 'progressive' refers to a central tenet that the Abrahamic, Davidic, and new covenants are being progressively fulfilled today (as well as having fulfillments in the millennial kingdom)." 13
"One of the striking differences between progressive and earlier dispensationalists, is that progressives do not view the church as an anthropological category in the same class as terms like Israel, Gentile Nations, Jews, and Gentile people. The church is neither a separate race of humanity (in contrast to Jews and Gentiles) nor a competing nation alongside Israel and Gentile nations. . . . The church is precisely redeemed humanity itself (both Jews and Gentiles) as it exists in this dispensation prior to the coming of Christ."14
Progressive dispensationalists see more continuity between Israel and the church than the other two variations within dispensationalism. They stress that both Israel and the church compose the "people of God" and both are related to the blessings of the New Covenant. This spiritual equality, however, does not mean that there are not functional distinctions between the groups. Progressive dispensationalists do not equate the church as Israel in this age and they still see a future distinct identity and function for ethnic Israel in the coming millennial kingdom. Progressive dispensationalists like Blaising and Bock see an already/not yet aspect to the Davidic reign of Christ, seeing the Davidic reign as being inaugurated during the present church age. The full fulfillment of this reign awaits Israel in the millennium.
Key theologians : Craig A. Blaising, Darrell L. Bock, and Robert L. Saucy

http://www.theologicalstudies.org/resource-library/dispensationalism/421-what-is-dispensationalism

• Members

Thank you John for those helpful contributions.

For me there is an absolute failure of disp teaching to deal with the fact that the millennial reign of Christ, when all the glorious promises to Abraham are supposed to be fulfilled with regard to the earth, ends in Satanic rebellion & the destruction of the earth.

The people of earth, after 1,000 years of gracious rule by Jesus in person, unite in war against him & his people.

• Members

Did God do miracles only in the Gospels and Acts or did he also deal with men in this way at various times in the Old Testament as well as in Revelation?

Scripture is a continuous flow of God's plan with no walls separating God's plan into 3, 7, 9, 10 or some other number of dispensations.

God has always done miracles, but the apostolic signs to Israel are not in effect today. That's the critical difference. Not recognizing that difference can lead to many doctrinal and practical errors. It is important to recognize these differences and obey the scriptural command to rightly divide. Edited by Rick Schworer

• Members

Thank you John for those helpful contributions.

For me there is an absolute failure of disp teaching to deal with the fact that the millennial reign of Christ, when all the glorious promises to Abraham are supposed to be fulfilled with regard to the earth, ends in Satanic rebellion & the destruction of the earth.

The people of earth, after 1,000 years of gracious rule by Jesus in person, unite in war against him & his people.

That's what it says! It makes a lot more sense that the idea that Satan is currently bound in the Bottomless Pit!

• Members

That's what it says! It makes a lot more sense that the idea that Satan is currently bound in the Bottomless Pit!

That is NOT what the Gospels & Epistes teach. It's an interpretation unsupported by Scripture. Imposing a whole system of Scripture interpretation on a few verses of signified prophecy is not valid. See what Satan is doing from the pit in Rev. 17 in the present "disp." You persist in ignoring Scripture that does not fit the Scofield/Darby ideas. YOU do not allow Abraham & his seed the promised inheritance - you allow Satan to foul it up & force God to destroy it & start again.

• Members

That is NOT what the Gospels & Epistes teach. It's an interpretation unsupported by Scripture. Imposing a whole system of Scripture interpretation on a few verses of signified prophecy is not valid. See what Satan is doing from the pit in Rev. 17 in the present "disp." You persist in ignoring Scripture that does not fit the Scofield/Darby ideas. YOU do not allow Abraham & his seed the promised inheritance - you allow Satan to foul it up & force God to destroy it & start again.

What does Babylon of Revelation 17 have to do with Satan being thrown in the pit before the 1,000 years? That's before the battle of Revelation 19. You teach that we're in the 1,000 years right now, so that would mean that Satan is in the pit right now, which makes no sense. And if he's in the pit right now, when was this great battle with Christ at the lead and millions of saints behind Him on white horses?

Anyone reading the Bible can understand what is going on:

Rev. 19 - Battle.
Rev. 20 - Satan thrown in pit for 1,000 years.
Rev. 20 - Satan released after 1,000 years.
Rev. 20 - Satan messes things up again.
Rev. 20 - Another battle.
Rev. 21 - God fixes everything.

• Members

If I've given you the impression I'm trying to find something to "turn back on you" I apologize. I'm simply trying to understand your view.

It's very relevant as to what view of dispensationalism one holds considering the wide variety out there and the differening meaning some groups give to the same time periods.

Perhaps the most common view of dispensationalism claims 7 dispensations:

1. The time of innocence

2. The time of self-determination

3. The time of human government

4. The time of the patriarchs

5. The time of the law

6. The age of the church

7. The age of the kingdom

In your view, you determine to separate the Scripture even further. To what end? To what end any of this?

I aspect of salvation is also important to the discussion of dispensationalism. Again, dispensationalists hold to various views with regards to the means of salvation in different dispensations. Some teach at one time men were saved by works, some by keeping the law, and some say Jews don't need to be born again in Christ because during a special dispensation they will be saved in a special manner, etc.

When we consider the law, for instance, we see the law has always been there to some extent. Those in Genesis knew what the law was with regards to various matters as we read there. We also read in Scripture that even those who don't know the full law, by nature know some of the law and are accountable for such.

Dispensationalism is a system with many facets and one can't rightly discuss dispensationalism without discussing this.

I always thought that those that teach dispensationalist, were doing so to try & prove that those in different dispersion were saved in different manners.

• Members

What does Babylon of Revelation 17 have to do with Satan being thrown in the pit before the 1,000 years? That's before the battle of Revelation 19. You teach that we're in the 1,000 years right now, so that would mean that Satan is in the pit right now, which makes no sense. And if he's in the pit right now, when was this great battle with Christ at the lead and millions of saints behind Him on white horses?

Anyone reading the Bible can understand what is going on:

Rev. 19 - Battle.
Rev. 20 - Satan thrown in pit for 1,000 years.
Rev. 20 - Satan released after 1,000 years.
Rev. 20 - Satan messes things up again.
Rev. 20 - Another battle.
Rev. 21 - God fixes everything.

The Gog/Magog battle ends thus:
Eze. 39:
And, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD; Speak u
nt
o every feathered fowl, and to every beast of the field, Assemble yourselves, and come; gather yourselves on every side to my sacrifice that I do sacrifice for you, even a great sacrifice upon the mou
nt
ains of Israel, that ye may eat flesh, and drink blood.

Ye shall eat the flesh of the mighty, and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, of rams, of lambs, and of goats, of bullocks, all of them fatlings of Bashan.

And ye shall eat fat till ye be full, and drink blood till ye be drunken, of my sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you.

Thus ye shall be filled at my table with horses and chari
ot
s, with mighty men, and with all men of war, saith the Lord GOD.

And I will set my glory among the heathen, and all the heathen shall see my judgme
nt
that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid upon them.

So the house of Israel shall know that I am the LORD their God from that day and forward.

The Rev. 19 Battle ends thus:
And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together u
nt
o the supper of the great God;

That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, b
ot
h free and bond, b
ot
h small and great.

And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These b
ot
h were cast alive i
nt
o a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

And the remna
nt
were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

Notice the similarity? But the G/M battle is after the 1,000 years.

Notice also: 20:4 .... I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which
had n
ot
worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

Souls - not bodily resurrected saints. The millennial reign is from heaven, not on earth. All the dreadful events that take place in your millennium make it just like the earth we now live in. God does not prophecy a further 1,000 years of trouble. Jesus return is final.

1 Cor. 15:
Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cann
ot
inherit the kingdom of God; neither d
ot
h corruption inherit incorruption.

Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall n
ot
all sleep, but we shall all be changed,

In a mome
nt
, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is n
ot
in vain in the Lord.

• Members

There's 1,000 years sandwiched between those two battles!

Also, it doesn't say the souls are in Heaven when they are reigning. This verse clarifies that they are ON EARTH when the reign begins:

Rev. 5:10, "And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth."

• Members

Certainly not, brother. There are some that teach it that way, and many that do not.

I still think what I stated is true, yet many are picking up on this teaching that holds to the fact that ALL people in all ages are saved the very same way, & that is the only way a person can be saved.

And I feel that this teaching is leading some that believe as we do to believe that people in different ages are saved in different manner.

• Members

God has always done miracles, but the apostolic signs to Israel are not in effect today. That's the critical difference. Not recognizing that difference can lead to many doctrinal and practical errors. It is important to recognize these differences and obey the scriptural command to rightly divide.

One doesn't have to divide the Bible into dispensations in order to read the clear teaching of Scripture. Obviously the dispensationalist charismatics don't see dispensations as meaning they all shouldn't be speaking in gibberish..., ur, tongues.

• Members

I still think what I stated is true, yet many are picking up on this teaching that holds to the fact that ALL people in all ages are saved the very same way, & that is the only way a person can be saved.

And I feel that this teaching is leading some that believe as we do to believe that people in different ages are saved in different manner.

Some dispensationalists try to hide it or disclaim it now, but one of the bad points of dispensationalism has been the teaching that people in different dispensations were saved in different ways. The main teaching is that only the church age people need accept Christ to be saved. This is where the teaching stems from that says Jews don't need to be born agai in Christ because in a future dispensation God will save them in another way.

Separating Scripture into different dispensations, whether 3, 7, 9, 10 or other artificial number is not seen in Scripture and therefore not something we should be adding to it.