• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pray for those caught up in the Harry Potter movie cycle

• Members

Several people at my office were abuzz with excitement over a new Harry Potter movie that has apparently been released. That took me by surprise because I thought these were children's movies, but apparently the infection has spread to adults who should know better.

The attorney I work for said he and his family, and the VP of Human Resources and her family are all going together to see the movie this evening. *sigh* This particularly upset me because he has two young girls whose minds should be aggressively shielded from such evil, but he is just taking them along and offering them up on the altar of popular culture.

This is a perfect example of why it is so important for people of faith to maintain a distinct separation from secular entertainment. Stories such as this "call evil good, and good evil" and "put darkness for light, and light for darkness". Stories of this ilk make the most wicked abominations palatable for common folk. They are led astray by spectacle and romance and give little thought to the peril of their souls.

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!" (Isaiah 5:20-21)

I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me." (Psalm 101:3).

May I humbly request prayers for the thousands of people who are being taken in by this evil form of entertainment and taking the influence of witches and wizards, demons and devils, so very lightly?

• Members

:amen::icon_pray:

Unfortunately, Harry Potter has become accepted as "family entertainment" by many who call themselves conservative and Christian.

Several years go when Harry Potter was first such a sensation there were several pastors and other Christians who spoke against it. Then more and more professing Christians decided it was a good series for various reasons, including because there was a fight between "good and evil" involved. Never mind the extreme blurring of what is actually good and what is actually evil!

Eventually, some churches even came out with Harry Potter VBS programs and other materials!

Separation isn't something folks want to hear about or practice.

• Members

Separation, what's that, lol, just kidding.
As I continue my walk with The Lord it becomes clearer to me how many "professing Christians" are so in tune with the world. I have siblings who see nothing wrong with Harry Potter and things of that nature. This is also unfortunately true of my coworkers, many who justify it by saying that "their kids can differentiate the difference" between reality and fantasy. Of course, they don't get it....they eye is the gate to the mind and to watch things such as Harry Potter (or most tv programs) is just inviting the wrong things into ones mind.

I've had a lingering question since finding the right church 4 years ago, and I think I'm getting my answer. I now know why many IFB churches are relatively small-more and more people don't want to separate from the world and more and more are believing the lies of Satan. It seems like the number of truly saved (and separated from the world) is growing at a much smaller rate than the "worldly" people. JMHO.

I thank God each and every day for my salvation.....I could have easily stayed a worldly person.

• Members

As I continue my walk with The Lord it becomes clearer to me how many "professing Christians" are so in tune with the world. I have siblings who see nothing wrong with Harry Potter and things of that nature. This is also unfortunately true of my coworkers, many who justify it by saying that "their kids can differentiate the difference" between reality and fantasy. Of course, they don't get it....they eye is the gate to the mind and to watch things such as Harry Potter (or most tv programs) is just inviting the wrong things into ones mind.

I've had a lingering question since finding the right church 4 years ago, and I think I'm getting my answer. I now know why many IFB churches are relatively small-more and more people don't want to separate from the world and more and more are believing the lies of Satan. It seems like the number of truly saved (and separated from the world) is growing at a much smaller rate than the "worldly" people. JMHO.

I thank God each and every day for my salvation.....I could have easily stayed a worldly person.

Good post!

No doubt the vast majority of professing Christians want Christianity their way, not God's. They want to pick and choose what they think they should follow and don't need to. They search out those pastors and churches which will allow them to have their worldliness along with a cover of Christianity.

Unfortunately this trend is even effecting some former IFB churches and some who still call themselves IFB. They turn their churches into cultural or social centers, add entertainment, lower standards, let go of some separation stances...and then more and more.

There is one "IFB" church in this area that has went so much the way of mainstream churches that I doubt none but the most liberal on OB would even think of attending. Separation and the KJB were long ago cast out in favor of ecumenical ties and the NIV. :icon_sad:

• Members

It truly is a narrow path that we tread, is it not? Even our dear Savior ran afoul of the mainstream religion of his day. I can't imagine that people were so much different in Jesus' time. They were still seeking to compromise, to see just how much they could get away with before they called it sin. Our sinful natures have such a tendency to run after the easy path and follow along with what the rest of the world is doing.

There is a constant temptation to let down one's guard and slip into a worldy mind-set, to give in to (for example) secular entertainment since "everyone else is doing it". The consequences can be fearful, though! Jesus said there would be many who seek to enter Heaven but will be denied entrance because they were unwilling to enter into the strait gate.

I think that is why it is so important to remain faithful and to visibly live out our faith in the midst of the world. It can be an encouragement to those who are faltering. Perhaps your steadfastness in declining an invitation to attend a movie or participate in some other form of activity that is not in keeping with a holy, "set apart" life, will give those in your sphere of influence the courage to listen to that still small voice encouraging them to a higher standard.

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.." (Matthew 7:13-14)

"And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called 'The way of holiness'; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein." (Isaiah 35:8)

"The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul." (Proverbs 16:17))

"Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And He said unto them, Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and He shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in Thy presence, and Thou hast taught in our streets. But He shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from Me, all ye workers of iniquity. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and JacOB, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out." (Luke 13:23-28)

"Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?" (Ezekiel 33:11)

• Members

I have OBserved the same thing. It is interesting to see how the faithful churches are always the smaller churches you find in smaller towns. These little gatherings of God's faithful, these little remnants, are like little beacons of hope scattered sparingly all around. I live in a large city where there are several churches whose membership numbers in the thousands. Within a ten-mile radius of my home there are three churches that boast membership over 10,000. Their focus seems to be more on entertainment and on activities and much less on helping each other to grow in holiness and to be faithful in the war against the world's influence.

"The remnant shall return, even the remnant of JacOB, unto the mighty God. For though thy people Israel be as the sand of the sea, yet a remnant of them shall return: the consumption decreed shall overflow with righteousness." (Isaiah 10:21-22)

• Members

It truly is a narrow path that we tread, is it not? Even our dear Savior ran afoul of the mainstream religion of his day. I can't imagine that people were so much different in Jesus' time. They were still seeking to compromise, to see just how much they could get away with before they called it sin. Our sinful natures have such a tendency to run after the easy path and follow along with what the rest of the world is doing.

There is a constant temptation to let down one's guard and slip into a worldy mind-set, to give in to (for example) secular entertainment since "everyone else is doing it". The consequences can be fearful, though! Jesus said there would be many who seek to enter Heaven but will be denied entrance because they were unwilling to enter into the strait gate.

I think that is why it is so important to remain faithful and to visibly live out our faith in the midst of the world. It can be an encouragement to those who are faltering. Perhaps your steadfastness in declining an invitation to attend a movie or participate in some other form of activity that is not in keeping with a holy, "set apart" life, will give those in your sphere of influence the courage to listen to that still small voice encouraging them to a higher standard.

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.." (Matthew 7:13-14)

"And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called 'The way of holiness'; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein." (Isaiah 35:8)

"The highway of the upright is to depart from evil: he that keepeth his way preserveth his soul." (Proverbs 16:17))

"Then said one unto him, Lord, are there few that be saved? And He said unto them, Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able. When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and He shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are: Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in Thy presence, and Thou hast taught in our streets. But He shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from Me, all ye workers of iniquity. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and JacOB, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out." (Luke 13:23-28)

"Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?" (Ezekiel 33:11)

:amen:

• Members

Good post!

No doubt the vast majority of professing Christians want Christianity their way, not God's. They want to pick and choose what they think they should follow and don't need to. They search out those pastors and churches which will allow them to have their worldliness along with a cover of Christianity.

Unfortunately this trend is even effecting some former IFB churches and some who still call themselves IFB. They turn their churches into cultural or social centers, add entertainment, lower standards, let go of some separation stances...and then more and more.

There is one "IFB" church in this area that has went so much the way of mainstream churches that I doubt none but the most liberal on OB would even think of attending. Separation and the KJB were long ago cast out in favor of ecumenical ties and the NIV.[/i] :icon_sad:

This is true....just because a church has "Baptist" as part of its name does not guarantee correct doctrine. I agree, this is also true of IFB's, as I've learned, not all IFB's are "true." This is sad as I sort of thought of IFB as the last bastion holding to true doctrine. I recently learned of a church here in my town that "used" to be IFB....they are not now, rather if you look at some of their "promotional" materials, the name Baptist is missing. They are about numbers, programs, etc. My wife and I attended there as a test for a handful of weeks (prior to finding our current church). We never met the pastor, never heard a message, and were "rushed" into a "small group."

• Members

This is true....just because a church has "Baptist" as part of its name does not guarantee correct doctrine. I agree, this is also true of IFB's, as I've learned, not all IFB's are "true." This is sad as I sort of thought of IFB as the last bastion holding to true doctrine. I recently learned of a church here in my town that "used" to be IFB....they are not now, rather if you look at some of their "promotional" materials, the name Baptist is missing. They are about numbers, programs, etc. My wife and I attended there as a test for a handful of weeks (prior to finding our current church). We never met the pastor, never heard a message, and were "rushed" into a "small group."

I'm thankful that most IFBs that go worldly drop their IFB name, but there are some who don't and they are even more dangerous.

The day may arrive when biblical IFB churches must add something to their name or description in order to set themselves apart from the wayward IFB churches.

• Members

I'm thankful that most IFBs that go worldly drop their IFB name, but there are some who don't and they are even more dangerous.

The day may arrive when biblical IFB churches must add something to their name or description in order to set themselves apart from the wayward IFB churches.

What is an "IFB name?" Anything with the word "Baptist" in it?

• Members

What is an "IFB name?" Anything with the word "Baptist" in it?

The name, IFB, Independent Fundamental Baptist.

Most IFB churches which go astray drop the name IFB, but a few hold to that title for some reason, even though they have dropped many of the fundamental aspects.

"Baptist" can mean anything these days. Baptist could be IFB, SBC, Free Baptist, Landmark, General, etc.

Baptist churches run the line from being independent to being a part of a denomination and/or various organizations. They also run the line from very liberal to fundamentally biblical.

• Members

Thankfully I don't see a lot of Harry Potter excitement. I have a few friends/family on FB that post about seeing the movie. My mom is in to it which makes me sad. She is saved and was a big influence in my life to live right. Unfortunately she gets caught up in the "Fantasy" world on TV and in books. I think the prOBlem is her best friend. She has been friends with this woman since middle school and since moving back to the area several years ago she continues to be close with her. Too close. Her friend is in to that nonsense and it flows over to my mom. The more I think about it the more frustrating it is to know she likes that stuff.

• Members

True, it's like gambling if you walk into a church without prior knowledge of it's beliefs. The devil has gotten more than a foothold, he's all the way in.

• Members

Remember just because a church calls itself a church does not mean its a true New Testament Church with Jesus as its head.

Remember to, many of those churches out there that claim to be filled with Christians do not teach the one, and only one way a person can be saved, by grace though faith, but by works, baptizing, and so on. So prOBably in such a church there is very few Christians if any.

I've spoke against Harry Potter and the books by C. S. Lewis. One of our members brought one of C. S. Lewis's fiction books to church one evening, I told her, this is the devils book, a Christian should not have it, its only good for burning.

• Members

Remember just because a church calls itself a church does not mean its a true New Testament Church with Jesus as its head.

Remember to, many of those churches out there that claim to be filled with Christians do not teach the one, and only one way a person can be saved, by grace though faith, but by works, baptizing, and so on. So prOBably in such a church there is very few Christians if any.

I've spoke against Harry Potter and the books by C. S. Lewis. One of our members brought one of C. S. Lewis's fiction books to church one evening, I told her, this is the devils book, a Christian should not have it, its only good for burning.

Brother Jerry, you have been missed on this forum and it is a blessing to have you back!