• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible Study at Church

John81

• Members

Why do you think that is?

Referring to a couple of previous posts, this is the first I've heard of a Bible believing church not holding Bible studies. Is this common and why is it this way?

Honestly, it seems that most folks are too busy doing other things, and the Lord gets whatever "leftover" time is available.

Regarding the bible study, I guess it depends on what you consider a bible study. When I said Sunday school at our church was more of a "sermon" format, it does lean more toward teaching rather than preaching, but what I meant was that it's one person doing all the talking, and the class size is fairly large. I can't really think of anything that's done in small groups, other than the new member discipleship. Not really sure why that is, but now that I think of it, I think a small group bible study would be a good idea; I'm going to see if I can get a few guys interested.

• Members

Honestly, it seems that most folks are too busy doing other things, and the Lord gets whatever "leftover" time is available.

Regarding the bible study, I guess it depends on what you consider a bible study. When I said Sunday school at our church was more of a "sermon" format, it does lean more toward teaching rather than preaching, but what I meant was that it's one person doing all the talking, and the class size is fairly large. I can't really think of anything that's done in small groups, other than the new member discipleship. Not really sure why that is, but now that I think of it, I think a small group bible study would be a good idea; I'm going to see if I can get a few guys interested.

I agree SoCal about "leftover" time. The only formatted time we have similar to what's been discussed is our adult Sunday school class where it's teaching chapter by chapter and not preaching. I think I'll see if anyone is interested in one at our church as well.

• Members

Why do you think that is?

Referring to a couple of previous posts, this is the first I've heard of a Bible believing church not holding Bible studies. Is this common and why is it this way?

We also don't hold one except for Weds service since that is Bible Study (we are going over our Articles of Faith in depth at the moment). I always wondered why we didn't do a Bible Study on the day of Men's Prayer Breakfast since we pray as a Church on Weds evening. But, I've never brought it up...I would rather do the study but I figure the Pastor knows best...maybe he has already tried it and no one has showed up...not sure. We do outreach on those days as well (not every one but good amount).

We have separate fellowship at least once a month. I guess it could be the size and amount of faithful families we have (prOBably are upwards of 70 members but only 6 faithful families that come every service and try to come to every other extra).

I really couldn't tell you, just making excuses from my own understanding I guess.

• Members

With that said, not having the Bible Study prOBably gives me the extra time to take the online Bible College I'm taking. Actually takes up anywhere from 3-7 hours of my time a week so a significant amount when adding in everything else in my life (Church, kids, wife, work, college, etc).

• Members

Yes, I agree. Rather than putting the things of God first, most professing Christians fit God in after all the "more important" things are finished. This is one reason I especially admire the young couple that attends the Bible study I attend. They must spend over an hour on the road just to attend one hour of Bible study, and this after work.

That's a great idea trying to get some guys together for Bible study. I pray your efforts will reap rewards for God's kingdom and in all your lives.