• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible Study at Church

John81

• Members

How many attend a Bible study at their church?
About how many attend this Bible study?
What are you studying now?
Does your church offer other Bible studies also?

I attend a midweek Bible study led by our associate pastor. There is typically between 4 and 6 of us, including our associate pastor, but on occasions we have had a few more. We are currently studying the book of Hebrews, chapter 11, the "hall of faith". Prior to that we studied the book of Genesis and soon we'll have to decide which book to study next.

Our church has two other Bible studies, one for men at 5:30 in the morning which our pastor leads, and one on Thursday which is open to all but has become a de facto study for older ladies which our pastor leads.

It would be great to hear some experiences, learnings and other things which have come from church Bible studies.

Our Bible study has been really good, with much interaction and learning. Over the course of time those of us who typically attend every week, or nearly every week, have experienced much growth in friendship through wonderful fellowship at these studies and growing together in the Lord. During most of this year it seems the Spirit has really been moving mightily in our midweek Bible study. We've all been challenged in our growth, our walk and our service.

A younger couple attend most of these studies and it's great to watch them growing in the Lord individually and as a couple. A man who just turned 88 attends regularly and he has such a wealth of experience and information to share.

This summer a young man began attending. During the year previous to this, him and his wife had a son who was at nearly every service, either with the both of them, with his mom, or his grandparents. Then his wife went through some strange medical prOBlems and then she just seemed to jump on the dark evil horse and ride. She got in trouble with the law, stopped attending church, stopped having anything to do with their son, then just left and filed for divorce, which was granted not long before this young man began attending the midweek Bible study. Hearing this young man share how he fell into such dispair during this time and how God worked in his life to lift him back up, how he "just happened" to overhear our associate pastor and another man talking about the midweek Bible study and how our associate pastor "just happened" to invite him one day when he saw him downtown, and how God has worked in his life from then to now...well, just wow, what a wonderful God we serve!

It's so amazing how God uses our churches midweek Bible study to not only teach us His Word, to grow us in Christ, but to bring about such fellowship and friendship for His glory and honour. What a joy to not only see growth in Christ in my own life, but even much more so to see growth in Christ in those who also attend this Bible study.

• Members

For some time I attended a regular Wednesday evening Bible study, but have begun attending another group that has splintered off from the regular Bible study. It happened in a rather interesting way!

It became a regular occurrence that several ladies would get together after the Sunday service to eat together and discuss the topic of the sermon. It became something that we all looked forward to, because it helped us to more deeply meditate on the message and carry it through the rest of the week. We would sometimes invite the pastor to join us, and he actually did when he had time, which was a great blessing. During one of these occasions, he suggested that we start a separate Bible study group that dealt primarily with the issues that women face while living and working in the world. So, with his permission and blessing, we started a small "ladies group" that is currently comprised of about ten women. We meet each Wednesday at the church during the same time the main group is going but we meet in a classroom. This works out well since some of the women are married and their husbands attend the main Bible study group.

Every two or three weeks we invite the pastor or one of the elders to join our group if they have time and lead the message. We try to make sure we feed them well so they don't mind being pulled away from their other duties! :th_eatingcookies:

The studies are usually topical in nature. They tend to revolve around an issue that we are dealing with in our personal lives. For example, right now we are discussing the issue of avoiding worldliness in our daily lives, including avoiding the stain of worldliness in our thoughts and motives. This study has actually extended over several weeks and has been a tremendous source of inspiration, encouragement and growth for all of us! One of the Elders came and gave a wonderful talk to us about this topic, and we were so very grateful for his time and effort.

We recently had a study about the importance of dealing with friends and family members with great kindness and long-suffering, and being a source of encouragement to those around us. The main verse we used for this study was Ephesians 4:2-3: "With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

This group has become so important to my spiritual life. These ladies are true sisters in Christ. We study and pray together, we discuss issues that we face and continually encourage each other to live according to the Scriptures. The world comes at us from so many different areas and it is so important to have a group of fellow believers who will encourage you when you are feeling weak, who will help you see a sin that may be besetting you, and to whom you can be accountable.

If anyone reading this does not participate in some sort of mid-week Bible study or prayer group, I would encourage you to consider joining one. It can have a dramatic impact on your life. I would add one note of caution, though. I have seen groups turn into more of a social session than a true Bible study. That can actually become an occasion to sin rather than an opportunity to grow more faithful to God. Try to find a group of people who are truly interested in feeding from the Word and in encouraging each other toward holiness. It can have a profound and lasting impact on your spiritual life!

"Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon His name." (Mal. 3:16)

• Members

For some time I attended a regular Wednesday evening Bible study, but have begun attending another group that has splintered off from the regular Bible study. It happened in a rather interesting way!

It became a regular occurrence that several ladies would get together after the Sunday service to eat together and discuss the topic of the sermon. It became something that we all looked forward to, because it helped us to more deeply meditate on the message and carry it through the rest of the week. We would sometimes invite the pastor to join us, and he actually did when he had time, which was a great blessing. During one of these occasions, he suggested that we start a separate Bible study group that dealt primarily with the issues that women face while living and working in the world. So, with his permission and blessing, we started a small "ladies group" that is currently comprised of about ten women. We meet each Wednesday at the church during the same time the main group is going but we meet in a classroom. This works out well since some of the women are married and their husbands attend the main Bible study group.

Every two or three weeks we invite the pastor or one of the elders to join our group if they have time and lead the message. We try to make sure we feed them well so they don't mind being pulled away from their other duties! :th_eatingcookies:

The studies are usually topical in nature. They tend to revolve around an issue that we are dealing with in our personal lives. For example, right now we are discussing the issue of avoiding worldliness in our daily lives, including avoiding the stain of worldliness in our thoughts and motives. This study has actually extended over several weeks and has been a tremendous source of inspiration, encouragement and growth for all of us! One of the Elders came and gave a wonderful talk to us about this topic, and we were so very grateful for his time and effort.

We recently had a study about the importance of dealing with friends and family members with great kindness and long-suffering, and being a source of encouragement to those around us. The main verse we used for this study was Ephesians 4:2-3: "With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."

This group has become so important to my spiritual life. These ladies are true sisters in Christ. We study and pray together, we discuss issues that we face and continually encourage each other to live according to the Scriptures. The world comes at us from so many different areas and it is so important to have a group of fellow believers who will encourage you when you are feeling weak, who will help you see a sin that may be besetting you, and to whom you can be accountable.

If anyone reading this does not participate in some sort of mid-week Bible study or prayer group, I would encourage you to consider joining one. It can have a dramatic impact on your life. I would add one note of caution, though. I have seen groups turn into more of a social session than a true Bible study. That can actually become an occasion to sin rather than an opportunity to grow more faithful to God. Try to find a group of people who are truly interested in feeding from the Word and in encouraging each other toward holiness. It can have a profound and lasting impact on your spiritual life!

"Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon His name." (Mal. 3:16)

Excellent! That sounds like such a wonderful blessing. I'm hopeful one day to be able to attend our Monday morning men's Bible study, which is held at 5:30. Right now I can't make that time but would really love to once again attend a men's Bible study (I was blessed to be a part of a great one years ago).

That was also an important warning you gave. It sometimes happens that times of fellowshipping in a Bible study can end up becoming a time of just socializing that can also take over the whole point of the group. Our sin nature and the old devil will slip in anywhere we drop our guard!

• Members

I'm currently in a study on I Cor. It meets once a week on Thurs. mornings at a local breakfast place. It is a group of about 6-7 men, and we read and discuss a passage each week.

It's been many years since I've been able to be a part of a men's Bible study. The last one I was in was such a blessing and so much of what I learned there still carries over into my life today.

• Members

I've enjoyed Bible studies since my student days. They have always been a feature of the churches I have attended.

The need for interactive Bible studies is one reason why forums such as this exist. We do get to know each other, & can disagree without breaking fellowship.

It is good for young Christians to lead, as it gives an opportunity to study the Word with a purpose, & to raise the questions of understanding/interpretation. It's good discipline, & as it is a study rather than preaching, it provides an occasion for the abilities of young Christians to be assessed.

• Administrators

Any idea why it seems attendance at church Bible studies tend to be very low?

Regardless of the size of the church, it seems most often only a very, very tiny percentage of the membership/congregation attends. Why is this?

Well, in the case of our church, we don't have Bible studies. We have our midweek service where we look in depth at scripture with a particular theme throughout the winter months - that's a Bible study, but its with the whole church, and then we break up into our smaller prayer groups.

• Members

Well, in the case of our church, we don't have Bible studies. We have our midweek service where we look in depth at scripture with a particular theme throughout the winter months - that's a Bible study, but its with the whole church, and then we break up into our smaller prayer groups.

Our church is like that too. The Wednesday midweek service is well attended, so it's not a small group by any means. Of course, there are Sunday school classes, but those are also fairly large groups and more of a "sermon" format. The closest thing we have to a small bible study (that I can think of) is our Reformers Unanimous program, but again, not quite the same thing. I did go to a church once that had a small men's bible study (that is, the size of the group, not the size of the men :)); I ought to speak to some of the guys at church to see if we can get something like that going. The only small group bible study I do on a regular basis is our family devotions.

• Members

Any idea why it seems attendance at church Bible studies tend to be very low?

Regardless of the size of the church, it seems most often only a very, very tiny percentage of the membership/congregation attends. Why is this?

Dare I suggest it's prOBably the same reason only a very tiny percentage of membership shows up for visitation?

• Members

Dare I suggest it's prOBably the same reason only a very tiny percentage of membership shows up for visitation?

Why do you think that is?

Referring to a couple of previous posts, this is the first I've heard of a Bible believing church not holding Bible studies. Is this common and why is it this way?

• Administrators

Why do you think that is?

Referring to a couple of previous posts, this is the first I've heard of a Bible believing church not holding Bible studies. Is this common and why is it this way?

I don't know if it's common or not, but I've been in Bible believing churches since I was a little girl, and none of the churches I've been in (even those I've visited over the years) have had small, separate Bible studies. I assume it's because the pastors haven't seen a need. As SoCal said, we also have Sunday School (which most churches have). Ours isn't a preaching format, so much as a teaching one, so it's like a study. The pastor who teaches the Adult Sunday School usually goes through an entire book verse by verse.

• Members

Were all these churches in Indiana? (I'm asking in order to consider whether this may be something particular to that area or region)

Our church holds Sunday school as well. We have three adult Sunday school classes and each is a teaching platform. We also have three Bible studies during the week; two are led by our pastor and one by our associate pastor.

I do know of one church which doesn't actually hold "church Bible studies" but they do help establish small group Bible studies which meet in members homes. Of course this particular church is more about social networking and being "cool" than actually following Christ.

This is new to me. I've never attended a church or even heard of a Bible believing church which didn't have Bible studies before this.

• Administrators

Were all these churches in Indiana? (I'm asking in order to consider whether this may be something particular to that area or region)

Our church holds Sunday school as well. We have three adult Sunday school classes and each is a teaching platform. We also have three Bible studies during the week; two are led by our pastor and one by our associate pastor.

I do know of one church which doesn't actually hold "church Bible studies" but they do help establish small group Bible studies which meet in members homes. Of course this particular church is more about social networking and being "cool" than actually following Christ.

This is new to me. I've never attended a church or even heard of a Bible believing church which didn't have Bible studies before this.

No. They are actually all around the country. Seattle, WA. (three there) Two churches on the peninsula in WA. Norman, OK (the church we attended, as well as the other IFB in town). FL (the church where I went to college). OH - churches I attended in several towns, the one where I went to college; two more where I taught school; All of the churches where the evangelist I worked for preached (at least, those I visited, which were several, in the OH, PA, WV, VA area), IN (our church, and a couple of others that I know about).

I think it's great that your pastor and assoc. pastor hold the Bible studies. I think it prOBably all boils down to philosophy of ministry. Neither idea is wrong. I wouldn't mind going to a Bible study. There are some in our area, but those studies are from churches that are not scriptural.

My parents have a Bible study in their home every week. Their pastor comes in and teaches it. Their church is quite a distance to travel, and so most Wed. nights they can't attend (especially in the winter: mountain roads and ice are a lethal combination all the time, but more so when the drivers are getting older). A Bible study was started, with the pastor teaching what he teaches during the Wed. evening service. The pastor's hope was that the Bible study could grow into a church here, but it hasn't. There are people who come to the study who attend other churches. It's a real blessing, also, because my grandmother can be there (she is too old to go anywhere but the doctor...and then only because she absolutely has to). Their church doesn't have any other Bible studies, though, so it's not the norm for them.

I edited this to add Memphis, TN. We attended a church there for candidate school for several years (in the summer). They had a vast number of adult Sunday School classes, but no separate Bible study.