• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why do we allow women to sing in church

• Members

It's an interesting question I have some background in rabinicisim or what is often called incorrectly ultra orthodox judaism.im a born again Christian,my Christian life I have spent more time listening than making a noise. I have even  learnt 3 insteaments and tryed out a few Christian bands CDs but ,find most to be noisy of like brainwashing with false doctrine to a catchy beat .I love the old church chants but the was a taboo thing in tachovskeys day even istraments in church we taboo only the organ was allowed .Now we have everything a modern rock band has immodest women and even smoke machines . sometimes at night I just like to hear god's music the crickets and in the morning the birds . sometimes my heart's sings .in orthodoxy a woman can only sing for her husband.jn Christ were free to do all things but not everything is benifical.befire I was a Christian I heard a beautiful single obe,playing a classical piece .and I thought it was so beautiful God must exist .I was still a child and wondering about is I had come to have toes, everything was miraculous to me .I suppose music has its place .I would not make rules but don't think female performance is right in God's house .

• Members
On 11/9/2010 at 1:37 PM, DennisD said:

vote at church meetings?

(This might be appropriate to a new thread)

Where did such a thing come from ? (vote at church)

I just spent about two hours searching such as could be found about the true disciples in the first century and later,  and could not find "voting" as a part of their ways at all.

I was happily delighted to find this again after not seeing it for perhaps a year or more,  having been first alerted to this topic by some member of onlinebaptist an unknown passage of time ago (whether thru posts, or thru links at their webpage,  I don't remember).

"We believe that the Baptists are the original Christians. We did not commence our existence at the reformation, we were reformers before Luther and Calvin were born; we never came from the Church of Rome, for we were never in it, but we have an unbroken line up to the apostles themselves. We have always existed from the days of Christ, and our principles, sometimes veiled and forgotten, like a river which may travel under ground for a little season, have always had honest and holy adherents. Persecuted alike by Romanists and Protestants of almost every sect, yet there has never existed a Government holding Baptist principles which persecuted others; nor, I believe, any body of Baptists ever held it to be right to put the consciences of others under the control of man. We have ever been ready to suffer, as our martyrologies will prove, but we are not ready to accept any help from the State, to prostitute the purity of the Bride of Christ to any alliance with Government, and we will never make the Church, although the Queen, the despot over the consciences of men.

Charles H. Spurgeon"

• Moderators

Why do we allow women to sing in church? Interesting question. 

The passage in context deals with teaching in the church, particularly WHO is teaching; clearly, women are not permitted to speak in teaching the church in a general sense, as the role of authority has been given to the man; they are to learn in silence. But singing, as in congregational singing, or even specials, (which I personally believe ought to be done sparingly,) are not in that context, but are more about general edification of the church, and the command was that we sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs to ourselves to others, with no command to specifically male or female, thus it is a general command to all believers. This is why women are allowed to sing in the church. 

• Members

Is there any Scriptural reason we SHOULD NOT allow women to sing in the church? I don't seem to find any. I know that my late sister was the music director in the Providence Baptist Church of Augusta, GA for many years until she got sick and they took that away from her. She did more for that music program than many of the previous MEN who held the position, and kept it all Scriptural. Her husband was a deacon there for many years. 

In the church I grew up in, Faith Baptist Church of Pekin, IL, we had a lady named Marge Smalley who was the choir director. It's not like she or my sister either one were preaching sermon, and they weren't usurping the authority of a man. In the SBC and even in many of the IFB churches here in the Southern USA, you will find that there are many female choir and worship leaders. I would certainly hope that we aren't advocating a position that a woman can't be used in the service of the Lord.