• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Methodists

• Members

So, I figured out what book this was from References

"The following are excerpts from David Cloud’s ebook entitled: A History of the Churches from a Baptist Perspective.
Pastor Warner’s notes are in [brackets]; Other sources are in {parentheses}"

The Methodist denomination arose out of the Church of England in the 18th century. It originated with the evangelistic/revival ministry of two brothers,
John (1703-91) and Charles (1707-88) Wesley.
The Founding of Methodism
1. As young men, the Wesleys were members of what was derisively labeled “the Oxford Methodists,” a group of Oxford University students who were methodical in their habits of prayer and Bible reading and who sought to live simple, holy lives.
2. John Wesley was converted in 1738 while attending a church meeting in London and hearing Luther’s exposition on justification by faith from the book of Romans. Of that night, Wesley records: “I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine.”
3. The Church of England barred the Wesleys from their churches, so they preached in homes, in barns, in the streets and the fields. John Wesley was the preacher; Charles was the hymn writer (though he also preached). It is said that John rode 250,000 miles on horseback and preached over 42,000 sermons in his lifetime. He preached an average of 500 times yearly. Converts among the ordinary people multiplied and were organized into Methodist “societies.”
4. The Wesley brothers, with fellow Oxford graduate George Whitefield, became central figures in a great spiritual revival that subsequently occurred in England and America. It was called the “Great Awakening.” Multitudes of people were converted and the moral climate of both nations was greatly uplifted.
5. Though the Wesleys intended at first to keep their movement within the Anglican Church, that became impossible as time passed and the numbers of converts grew and the animosity of the Church of England increased. In 1739, John Wesley drew up a set of general rules for his new denomination, called the Articles of Religion, which are still used by many Methodists.
6. Methodism spread rapidly to America. In 1784, the Methodist churches in America were set up as the Methodist Episcopal Church.
7. Circuit riding preachers were an integral part of Methodism from its inception, and this played a key role in its growth in the American frontier as America expanded westward across the continent.
8. The camp meeting, involving extended gatherings for exuberant preaching and singing, also played a prominent role in Methodism in the 1800s.

Methodist Doctrine
1. Wesley’s Articles of Religion were drawn from the Anglican Thirty-Nine Articles.
2. Wesley was Arminian in theology and edited a magazine called the Arminian Magazine.
3. Wesley believed a Christian could lose his salvation by turning from Christ.
4. He also held that a believer can reach a state of sinless perfection called “entire sanctification” through the purifying power of the Holy Spirit. John Wesley believed the doctrine of entire sanctification was Methodism's distinctive gift to Christianity. He called it "the great promise of God".
5. {Methodists were committed to the tenets of the Anglican faith and, for the most part, still are. Methodists, however, emphasize scriptural holiness, righteous living, mission and service, nurture in the parish and "attending on the ordinances of God." (Wikipedia)}
6. They state that the Sacraments of Baptism and Lord's Supper are means of greater grace, not just memorials or rituals. The Church of England supports seven sacraments; Methodists only two. Many Methodist groups practice baptism by sprinkling.

Methodist Church Polity
1. Methodists follow an episcopal form of church government. This refers to rule by bishops. With a few exceptions, Methodist congregations are not independent and autonomous, but are controlled by bishops that oversee conferences of churches.
2. Today there are many different Methodist groups with varying beliefs and practices—23 groups in America alone. Some of the smaller groups have maintained a conservative doctrinal position and still adhere to old-line Methodism. Most Methodist churches today, though, are modernistic and ecumenical to the extreme.
3. {The Pan-Methodist (Wesleyan) Churches include: United Methodists, Congregational Methodists, Primitive Methodists, African Methodist Episcopal, Christian Methodist Episcopal, African Methodist Episcopal Zion, Wesleyan Methodists, Free Methodists, Nazarenes, Church of God (Cleveland), Church of God of Prophecy, Most Holiness, Free-will Methodists, Salvation Army, many Pentecostal and charismatic groups. (Wikipedia)}.

• Members

Very good post, Dennis. I had a friend that was Wesleyan, (two in particular actually) and they did not understand their own doctrine! We spent many hours conversing, and one became a preacher (Wesleyan) and left town, but the other converted to Baptist, and now has a Doctors degree! He does what Ken Hovind did, except (hopefully) honestly, and legally. He travels to churches all over giving lectures on evolution as well as the entire "Creation Science" ministry.

• Members

I know several who attended a Methodist church as a child/youth, including myself, as well as some who continued to attend as adults, who never heard basic Bible truth, not even of the need to be born again!

One thing we all remember is being taught the idea that we need to be "good" so we could go to heaven. I don't know if this was directly taught in that manner or is what we picked up from teachings which had their roots in the false idea that one can lose their salvation so they must "be good" in order to hold onto their salvation...even though the biblical means of salvation wasn't taught.

My Mom had attended a good Methodist church when she was a child and she was very disappointed in what became of the Methodist church and separated herself from them as an adult.

• Members

When my husband recently joined our IFB church a good friend of ours sent me a message and started talking to me about how she joined the United Methodist church. I quickly read up about it so that I would understand anything she might say. We just talked about being happier and such, never got in to doctrine but now I wonder so much about her and what her church teaches. She has two young children and I hate to see them grow up with a "gotta be good to get to Heaven" mentality and nothing more. "Be good" is something you tell you 2yr old who doesn't understand IMO, not a 30yr old.

Maybe one day I'll get to talk to her again and make sure she understands salvation is something we can't lose if we have it.

• Members

My wife grew up in a United Methodist Church, though her family did not attend very faithfully. When we started dating she had never heard much of anything concerning the Bible. She believed she was going to Heaven because she had gone to the front of the church one time and because she had been sprinkled as an infant. It was not until she started going to church with me until she began to hear true Biblical teaching on being born again and living for God.

Her parents and her brother and his family still attend the UMC and believe that as long as their good outweigh their bad they'll be alright. Her parents in the past have been very hostile towards me because I took her away from the UMC and led her to the Lord. They refuse to hear anything of what the Bible says because they believe their way is OK. It's sad because if they continue to refuse to accept Christ then they will die and go to Hell.

• Members

My wife grew up in a United Methodist Church, though her family did not attend very faithfully. When we started dating she had never heard much of anything concerning the Bible. She believed she was going to Heaven because she had gone to the front of the church one time and because she had been sprinkled as an infant. It was not until she started going to church with me until she began to hear true Biblical teaching on being born again and living for God.

Her parents and her brother and his family still attend the UMC and believe that as long as their good outweigh their bad they'll be alright. Her parents in the past have been very hostile towards me because I took her away from the UMC and led her to the Lord. They refuse to hear anything of what the Bible says because they believe their way is OK. It's sad because if they continue to refuse to accept Christ then they will die and go to Hell.

My family thinks I have joined a cult, well, some of them do at least. Although I've been saved for years and attended church for the last few only recently did my husband and I join an IFB church and are living more for the Lord than we ever have. I guess because I post scripture and give thanks to the Lord often on my Facebook I have joined a cult : Most of them on my Dad's side are devout Catholic. I am going to spend Thanksgiving with them so I pray I don't get any hostile remarks. I'll be much in prayer between now and then that all is happy and that I will have the Lord's strength with me that day. Eh, they're Catholic, they don't talk much about faith ever so I might be ok...

• Members

My family thinks I have joined a cult, well, some of them do at least. Although I've been saved for years and attended church for the last few only recently did my husband and I join an IFB church and are living more for the Lord than we ever have. I guess because I post scripture and give thanks to the Lord often on my Facebook I have joined a cult : Most of them on my Dad's side are devout Catholic. I am going to spend Thanksgiving with them so I pray I don't get any hostile remarks. I'll be much in prayer between now and then that all is happy and that I will have the Lord's strength with me that day. Eh, they're Catholic, they don't talk much about faith ever so I might be ok...

My wife has faced the same thing with her family especially her parents. When we married they disowned her and it was over 3 years before they would speak to her. It was about another year before they would speak to me. Now, however, they have blown up again because we chose to home school our daughter and they can not stand it. When we first got married they told everyone that I had brainwashed her and apparently they still believe that.

• Members

My wife has faced the same thing with her family especially her parents. When we married they disowned her and it was over 3 years before they would speak to her. It was about another year before they would speak to me. Now, however, they have blown up again because we chose to home school our daughter and they can not stand it. When we first got married they told everyone that I had brainwashed her and apparently they still believe that.

Wow. I expressed when I was pregnant that I wanted to home school so much of the family is aware of it and most support it. They agree the public school system is not a place to send your kids if you can help it. Our family speaks to us, there is no prOBlem there, but a few have expressed no interest in the gospel though my husband has tried with his sister. The biggest deal here lately seemed to be Halloween. I posted on my Facebook that I was grateful to have spoken with a lovely Christian receptionist at my Dr. office about faith and the Lord and that we both agreed that Halloween being on a Sunday was a blessing because maybe it would inspire more to be in church and not on the streets. I got a lot of backlash about that from friends and family. "Ever kid needs to trick or treat!" I never told my dad we are against Halloween but told him I'd send him photos of our daughter in a Giraffe costume my sister gave her but otherwise we'd be at church that night.

I'm sorry your wife's family is being the way they are towards you. It is so hard to see friends and family distance themselves from you because you are trying to live a good Christian life. I'm seeing it more now in the last few months than I ever have and it can get discouraging. You are a blessing to be handling your situation so well. The Lord gets the honor and glory for that! I always think of the song 'Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus' where it says "... and the things of earth will grow strangely dim..."

Sorry to get us off topic, I ramble sometimes. :smilie_loco:4

• Members

Wow. I expressed when I was pregnant that I wanted to home school so much of the family is aware of it and most support it. They agree the public school system is not a place to send your kids if you can help it. Our family speaks to us, there is no prOBlem there, but a few have expressed no interest in the gospel though my husband has tried with his sister. The biggest deal here lately seemed to be Halloween. I posted on my Facebook that I was grateful to have spoken with a lovely Christian receptionist at my Dr. office about faith and the Lord and that we both agreed that Halloween being on a Sunday was a blessing because maybe it would inspire more to be in church and not on the streets. I got a lot of backlash about that from friends and family. "Ever kid needs to trick or treat!" I never told my dad we are against Halloween but told him I'd send him photos of our daughter in a Giraffe costume my sister gave her but otherwise we'd be at church that night.

I'm sorry your wife's family is being the way they are towards you. It is so hard to see friends and family distance themselves from you because you are trying to live a good Christian life. I'm seeing it more now in the last few months than I ever have and it can get discouraging. You are a blessing to be handling your situation so well. The Lord gets the honor and glory for that! I always think of the song 'Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus' where it says "... and the things of earth will grow strangely dim..."

Sorry to get us off topic, I ramble sometimes. :smilie_loco:4

Yeah, it can be hard this time of year with her family as well. We have never celebrated Halloween and they just don't get it. What really gets them mad though is that we do not have anything to do with Santa Claus. We don't even let him in the house. Every year for the past six years they have got all up in arms because we don't do Santa. They seem to think that we are truly depriving our daughter of something by keeping these things from her.

• Members

Sounds just like the Methodist church I grew up in. Your wife's parents sound much like so many in our local Methodist church (it's also United Methodist). It seems they really want to believe they are okay with God but they don't want to hear of anything beyond what their church teaches; such as the one and only way to be okay with God.

• Members

I can certainly relate to hearing relatives, and others, proclaiming as if it's a key and necessary fact of life that "all kids need to trick or treat". They act like it's such a serious matter and like the children that don't get to do so are deprived of something wonderful.

The same with santa and Christmas. So many seem to think that without santa it's not really Christmas and that children really need santa and it's just horrible to raise children without them hearing all about santa and all the stories, songs and videos of santa.

I can also relate to folks thinking true Christianity is a cult. Wow! So sad to think so many can be so blind to the truth, even professing Christians, that when they see some who actually believe the whole Bible and live their lives accordingly that they are viewed as cultists. I've heard so many professing Christians over the years tell me no to be "fanatical" because we are not to take the Bible so literally. They declare that much of the Bible was fine for "back then" but we can't live that way today. Many are also filled with so much humanism and watered down "christianity" that they actually reject the idea of needing to be born again (that's just for fanatics!) because God just looks at our hearts and knows we are okay... :puzzled3:

I've been saved now for 29 years so most finally realize this isn't just some "phase" or that I'm not just temporarily brainwashed and will snap out of it soon. Even so, earlier this year one family member was talking about having a family gathering on a Sunday. When I replied I wouldn't be available in the morning they asked why. After I told them I'd be in church in the morning their only response was, "Oh, you still doing that? Why". They didn't want an answer as they just rolled their eyes and walked off.

• Members
The same with santa and Christmas. So many seem to think that without santa it's not really Christmas and that children really need santa and it's just horrible to raise children without them hearing all about santa and all the stories, songs and videos of santa.

We never told our children about Santa, (anagram of Satan) I was once in our firm's canteen with a friend who said that he didn't beleive in telling children lies and if you lied to them about Santa, how will they know when you tell them the truth? I agreed with him, but a Roman Catholic sitting at the same table got very upset at that. Edited by Invicta