• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

John Calvin's Life

• Members

There aren't any levels to Calvinism. While some Calvinists don't agree on what the 5 points of Calvinism mean, it all comes down to this: true Calvinists are monergistic, false Calvinists, Arminians, Pelagians, and many other are synergistic. Spurgeon was 100% Calvinist. Calvinism, as many have stated so many times on this board and have been ignored, does not mean that we don't evangelize or that people don't repent or whatever, it simply means that God is the one who decided how everything will go and He brings it about.

I agree. Spurgeon stated clearly that he was a Calvinist because he believed that's what the Bible teaches. He also spoke out against those who we would prOBably call hyper-Calvinists and proclaimed they were not true Calvinists at all.

I can see my post may have not been clear, as I used the phrase ""more" Calvinist". I wasn't meaning by degree, I was intending to mean that some hyper-Calvnists attempt to claim Spurgeon as one of their own when he wasn't.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There aren't any levels to Calvinism. While some Calvinists don't agree on what the 5 points of Calvinism mean, it all comes down to this: true Calvinists are monergistic, false Calvinists, Arminians, Pelagians, and many other are synergistic. Spurgeon was 100% Calvinist. Calvinism, as many have stated so many times on this board and have been ignored, does not mean that we don't evangelize or that people don't repent or whatever, it simply means that God is the one who decided how everything will go and He brings it about.

Both Calvinism and Arminianism are false doctrines.

• Members

Not so.

In the county of Norfolk, one of the earliest centres of the Baptists in the early 1640s, the churches were 100% Particular Baptists, the General Baptists came later. The Norfolk churches sent representatives to London for the 1689. The Pressbyterians also 100% in Particular Redemption. Remember that one of the darlings of the IFBs, Derby was a strong , even extreme Calvinist.

The first General Baptist church in England was founded in 1611 so I'm not sure how you get that they came later. They may have come to Norfolk county later, but they were in existence at the time.

• Members

The first General Baptist church in England was founded in 1611 so I'm not sure how you get that they came later. They may have come to Norfolk county later, but they were in existence at the time.

I'm still early in my Baptist history study but from what I read I would have to agree with you. There never was a time where there were Calvinist only Baptists.

• Members

The thing about it, I have no idea of how God used Calvin, no idea at all, and there is not a book around that I can find this out from that can be 100% trusted. I do know how God used some people, its recorded in the pages of the Bible, and it can be 100% trusted, and it can be used in our preaching and teaching. As for those that are not recorded in the Bible, we had better let God take care of.

Its not my jOB as a pastor to teach my congregation how well someone was use by God, yet it is my jOB to warn them of false teachings, and the Calvinist doctrine is one I have warned them about.

And it seems to be a fast growing doctrine that many are accepting in our days, yet I know there will be a few churches that will not accept it and will stay true to Christ.

• Members

The thing about it, I have no idea of how God used Calvin, no idea at all, and there is not a book around that I can find this out from that can be 100% trusted. I do know how God used some people, its recorded in the pages of the Bible, and it can be 100% trusted, and it can be used in our preaching and teaching. As for those that are not recorded in the Bible, we had better let God take care of.

Its not my jOB as a pastor to teach my congregation how well someone was use by God, yet it is my jOB to warn them of false teachings, and the Calvinist doctrine is one I have warned them about.

And it seems to be a fast growing doctrine that many are accepting in our days, yet I know there will be a few churches that will not accept it and will stay true to Christ.

:bible::thumb:

• Members

I do mot think for one moment that you understand what reformed teaching is. You have been brainwashed into accepting a false teaching and you are now attempting to brainwash your congregation.

• Members

I do mot think for one moment that you understand what reformed teaching is. You have been brainwashed into accepting a false teaching and you are now attempting to brainwash your congregation.

I know exactly what it is, and its not found in the pages of the Bible, its not teaching from God, it is false teachings, and its been pointed out for those who have an ear to hear.

• Members

You who so boldly seem to have such great respect for John Calvin, seemly giving his so much praise, check out what this man did to Michael Servetus.

I will help you just a bit. This man was not a citizen of Geneva, not under the authority of its government, and John Calvin had him burned at the stake for he disagreed with his Bible beliefs. I understand until Calvin's death he defended himself for having Michael Servetus burned to death at the stake. By the way, he had them use green wood so that Michael Servetus would suffer, and that he did, he suffered for 3 long hours while being burned at the stake because of orders given by John Calvin, yet this man did not print nor utter his biblical views in Geneva.

Just do a search "Michael Servetus + John Calvin."

By the way, there was another good article in the Sword of the Lord on Calvinism, saying, "First, we believe that the views commonly known as Calvinism are not substantiated by Scripture, They are not biblical," and of course that is a Gospel truth.

If I was going to praise a mere man, I would at least find one less blameless.

• Members

Calvin has been used positively since his time as well (and negatively also). Even the ardent anti-Calvinist Adrian Rogers praised Calvins Institutes as one of the greatest Christian writings outside of the Bible.

John, I've been noticing you been moving more and more towards Calvinism and Preterism. What's up with that?

• Members

John, I've been noticing you been moving more and more towards Calvinism and Preterism. What's up with that?

How am I moving towards Calvinism? It's a fact many great preachers/pastors have benefited from some of Calvins writings. I've never read Calvins Institutes so I can't comment directly on them, but many preachers/pastors have and proclaimed they gained much from reading it; even those who denounced Calvinism.

What is Preterism?