• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Parenting

• Members

Parenthood

Many folks say, or think, that parenthood is a “no brainier”. They consider it “child’s play”, and yet when you think about it, by the time your children grow up and leave home, you have functioned in many professional fields. By the time they are grown, the parent has learned much; they have experience as judges; nurses; social workers; pharmacists; policemen; lawyers; teachers; handymen; scientists; referee’s; care providers, and many more. Though men scoff at parenting as if it were of little importance, or prestige, and though many think it to be a “simple” thing for the simple minded, and they look at it with disdain and scorning, it is essential in patience-building and character building. It is a complete education in itself. Some see it as “unskilled labor”, but those of us who have raised children know better! Being a parent is probably the most educational career there is; the glory of it is not complete though until it’s too late to do anything about it; by the time the children are gone, and we have learned what we needed to learn, we become mere “advisors” that usually speak to deaf ears. I, for one, appreciate the opportunity to have been a parent, and a “jack-of-all-trades” so to speak. I would not trade it for the entire treasures of the world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I love the look on peoples' faces when we tell them we have 5 kids. Everyone is so wrapped up in the mold of having the 2 kids and being done. We are talking about having a 6th once our youngest (2) is in kindergarten. There is nothing I enjoy more than being a parent. Sitting on the couch with my wife and having all of our kids snuggled up watching TV is great. Besides, there is nothing like being called "daddy."

• Members

I love the look on peoples' faces when we tell them we have 5 kids. Everyone is so wrapped up in the mold of having the 2 kids and being done. We are talking about having a 6th once our youngest (2) is in kindergarten. There is nothing I enjoy more than being a parent. Sitting on the couch with my wife and having all of our kids snuggled up watching TV is great. Besides, there is nothing like being called "daddy."

Ps 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.
Ps 127:5 Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

Trying for a quiver full?

• Members

Just imagine how different things might be in America today if Christians for the past 40 years had trusted God with the number and timing of children they have and raised these blessings for Christ.

Imagine the impact of so many thousands more Christians in America who were raised to trust and obey God!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Amen brethren, I've been a parent for a mere 11.5 months and it is indeed a wonderful blessed privilege, especially in the Lord. It takes hard work though, but in all labour there is profit!

Lord willing, He will bless us with more children in the future, but we both agree that one at a time is desired. We have the utmost respect for those who have twins or triplets!

I have a much deeper appreciation of the 'fatherhood' of God now, and His example would be the greatest I can follow with my own child/children.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Parenthood

Many folks say, or think, that parenthood is a “no brainier”. They consider it “child’s play”, and yet when you think about it, by the time your children grow up and leave home, you have functioned in many professional fields. By the time they are grown, the parent has learned much; they have experience as judges; nurses; social workers; pharmacists; policemen; lawyers; teachers; handymen; scientists; referee’s; care providers, and many more. Though men scoff at parenting as if it were of little importance, or prestige, and though many think it to be a “simple” thing for the simple minded, and they look at it with disdain and scorning, it is essential in patience-building and character building. It is a complete education in itself. Some see it as “unskilled labor”, but those of us who have raised children know better! Being a parent is probably the most educational career there is; the glory of it is not complete though until it’s too late to do anything about it; by the time the children are gone, and we have learned what we needed to learn, we become mere “advisors” that usually speak to deaf ears. I, for one, appreciate the opportunity to have been a parent, and a “jack-of-all-trades” so to speak. I would not trade it for the entire treasures of the world.

I believe that being a parent is one of the highest callings there is.