• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Go To Church????

• Members

Why go to Church? Sometimes I feel we have lost our way when it comes to the reason why we should attend Church. When we moved to our present home; we visited well over ten IFB Churches. All were KJB and very good people; but there seemed to be something missing. PrOBably the thing I look for the most in a Church; comes from a statement a very wise man made to me 25-30 years ago. He said "The biggest prOBlem in our Churches is that we have a lot of Preachers, but very few Pastors". If that was true then; how far have we fallen? What would be your #1 priority for selecting a home Church. Mine is the teaching of biblical doctrines and help in living day-to-day for Christ.

• Members

There be many excuses one can come up with for not attending church services. And one who fails to attend church services because they can come up with many excuses not to, are generally hard to convince their need for being an active member of a New Testament Church.

One thing for sure, if we found a perfect church, once we joined it, it would not longer be perfect.

We are in the church age, if everyone decided not to attend church there would be no church to carry out the great commission that Christ gave to his churches, go, teach, and baptize.

Besides that we have this verse.

Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

• Members

There be many excuses one can come up with for not attending church services. And one who fails to attend church services because they can come up with many excuses not to, are generally hard to convince their need for being an active member of a New Testament Church.

One thing for sure, if we found a perfect church, once we joined it, it would not longer be perfect.

We are in the church age, if everyone decided not to attend church there would be no church to carry out the great commission that Christ gave to his churches, go, teach, and baptize.

Besides that we have this verse.

Heb 10:23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
Heb 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

We would all agree that we should and must attend church. The question was not why people 'should attend church' or why they don't; but what should we expect from the church that we want to be part of and become a member of that church. The references to Heb 10:23,24, and 25; do these commandments only apply when we are "in church", or to our everyday walk?

• Members

I might add, attending church services for the born again believer is not because its mandatory, that they have to, that its an OBligation, they attend because they want to for they have a great love for the Savior Jesus and they want to follow in His foot steps.

If one attends church services because they think they have to, are OBligated to, them that person has completely missed the point, and of course there is much more to being a born again Christian than just attending church services on Sunday. I say this because so many seem to think they have fulfilled their Christina OBligation by attending worship services each Sunday morning.

• Members

I might add, attending church services for the born again believer is not because its mandatory, that they have to, that its an OBligation, they attend because they want to for they have a great love for the Savior Jesus and they want to follow in His foot steps.

If one attends church services because they think they have to, are OBligated to, them that person has completely missed the point, and of course there is much more to being a born again Christian than just attending church services on Sunday. I say this because so many seem to think they have fulfilled their Christina OBligation by attending worship services each Sunday morning.

Excellent points Jerry! We discussed something along these lines in Bible study recently. If we notice that someone who typically attend church regularly starts missing some Sundays or seems to just stop attending, we should reach out to them as soon as possible. As you say, if we are walking in Christ we will WANT to be in church. If someone stops being faithful to church attendance that's a warning sign and we should seek to help them.

• Members

I don't "attend" church because I love Jesus. I am a member of my local church body, because Jesus loved me and I have believed. There is a HUGE difference.

Perhaps for some, but for many it would simply be a matter of meaning the same thing but using different wording. Literacy is greatly lacking today and a large percentage of the population has difficulty expressing themselves.

• Members

I don't "attend" church because I love Jesus. I am a member of my local church body, because Jesus loved me and I have believed. There is a HUGE difference.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Your right, there is a big difference, the lost people, Jesus loves them, yet they do not love Him and neither do they keep His commandments, and neither do they want to, and they have no intrest whatsoever to be a member of Jesus' Church nor to attend church services.

As for me, I love Him, and because I love Him I try to do those things that please Him.

• Members

Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; That word “fellowcitizens” is talking about family. Being in the same fold. Peter said we got that way when we were born again (1 Peter 1:3)

The OP was asking not so much why “we” go to church or what we look for in a church, though one ought to have conditions and standards that must be met, both doctrinal and social, before they decide upon a church.

God is the one who made, created and paid for the church. It was all His idea, so it must be good.

I would answer this way.

1. Going to church helps me to stay on track, focused on what’s real and what’s not.

I know most of could agree that many times we have left the church house with a renewed perspective, a fresh outlook on life because the Lord spoke to you through the preaching.
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment (Matthew 22)
In church I can have my whole heart, soul and mind aligned by the word of God. Get myself put back right, in step.

2. By going to church I have people that stand by me.

Life is hard enough on your own, but I am glad for God’s people that many times in my life have helped me in my troubles. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. (1 Thessalonians 5) No man lives unto himself, we all need someone to lend a hand now and then. The old tried and true illustration of a hot bed of coals is sound. Together, they stay hot, are useful and perform a predetermined jOB. Take one coal out and it gets cold, is not much good for anything. BUT! Put it back in the pit, and it transforms back into a hot coal that is completing a jOB. I read somewhere that the New Testament uses the phrase “one another” or similar terms around 50 times. That’s more mentions than Hell! And we don’t hesitate to preach on that!
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint
supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the
body unto the edifying of itself in love. (Ephesians 4) A church will grow as it it’s membership
bonds and unifies. The verses says, maketh increase of the body.

3. Going to church strengthens my faith.
Hebrews 6 speaks of “go on to perfection”. I know that as a father, I desire to see my children grow, mature and make good decisions. Our heavenly father has the same desires. That we be conformed to the image of His Son.

4. Going to church helps me to serve the body.
Although I am an ordained minister of the gospel, I believe and teach that there is no “laity” class of Christians. That is a man made and man serving doctrine. God has called EVERY Christian into service. In fact He says he made us to serve in the ministry. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2) One may also read several verses from 1 Corinthians 12 and make the case for ministry.

5. Going to church makes me a soul winning Christian.
There is no greater vocation the Christian can involve himself in. I know that Proverbs 11 speaks of soul winning, but the Great Commission was given to the church, not individuals per se. It is intimated that evangelism is, and would be a corporate activity of the local church. Our great King James Bible says “YE”, not “you”. That is the all inclusive pronoun. Paul said plainly that his ministry was to testify of the gospel. But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God. (Acts 20) he further said in Romans 10:13, For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? Evangelism, soul winning, visitation, outreach, sowing the seed, whatever it is that you want to call it, it is a church activity first and foremost. By going to church I can promote and encourage others to do the right thing in this area by my own example.

These are simply some ideas. Feel free to add as many as you can think of.

God bless,
Calvary

• Members

Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; That word “fellowcitizens” is talking about family. Being in the same fold. Peter said we got that way when we were born again (1 Peter 1:3)

The OP was asking not so much why “we” go to church or what we look for in a church, though one ought to have conditions and standards that must be met, both doctrinal and social, before they decide upon a church.

God is the one who made, created and paid for the church. It was all His idea, so it must be good.

I would answer this way.

1. Going to church helps me to stay on track, focused on what’s real and what’s not.

I know most of could agree that many times we have left the church house with a renewed perspective, a fresh outlook on life because the Lord spoke to you through the preaching.
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment (Matthew 22)
In church I can have my whole heart, soul and mind aligned by the word of God. Get myself put back right, in step.

2. By going to church I have people that stand by me.

Life is hard enough on your own, but I am glad for God’s people that many times in my life have helped me in my troubles. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do. (1 Thessalonians 5) No man lives unto himself, we all need someone to lend a hand now and then. The old tried and true illustration of a hot bed of coals is sound. Together, they stay hot, are useful and perform a predetermined jOB. Take one coal out and it gets cold, is not much good for anything. BUT! Put it back in the pit, and it transforms back into a hot coal that is completing a jOB. I read somewhere that the New Testament uses the phrase “one another” or similar terms around 50 times. That’s more mentions than Hell! And we don’t hesitate to preach on that!
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint
supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the
body unto the edifying of itself in love. (Ephesians 4) A church will grow as it it’s membership
bonds and unifies. The verses says, maketh increase of the body.

3. Going to church strengthens my faith.
Hebrews 6 speaks of “go on to perfection”. I know that as a father, I desire to see my children grow, mature and make good decisions. Our heavenly father has the same desires. That we be conformed to the image of His Son.

4. Going to church helps me to serve the body.
Although I am an ordained minister of the gospel, I believe and teach that there is no “laity” class of Christians. That is a man made and man serving doctrine. God has called EVERY Christian into service. In fact He says he made us to serve in the ministry. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2) One may also read several verses from 1 Corinthians 12 and make the case for ministry.

5. Going to church makes me a soul winning Christian.
There is no greater vocation the Christian can involve himself in. I know that Proverbs 11 speaks of soul winning, but the Great Commission was given to the church, not individuals per se. It is intimated that evangelism is, and would be a corporate activity of the local church. Our great King James Bible says “YE”, not “you”. That is the all inclusive pronoun. Paul said plainly that his ministry was to testify of the gospel. But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God. (Acts 20) he further said in Romans 10:13, For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? Evangelism, soul winning, visitation, outreach, sowing the seed, whatever it is that you want to call it, it is a church activity first and foremost. By going to church I can promote and encourage others to do the right thing in this area by my own example.

These are simply some ideas. Feel free to add as many as you can think of.

God bless,
Calvary

:amen::goodpost::sSig_praiseGod:

• Members

There are so many good reasons to go to church. When I did a study on this, what struck me the most was the biblical command for a Christian to be under the authority of a biblically qualified pastor. That's why so many of these home churches are unbiblical, there is no real accountibility and the preacher(s) typically doesn't meet the qualificaltions laid out in the Bible.

Click here if you want to read my article on this.

Edited by Rick Schworer