• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

firing & hiring

• Members

If each of us owned a business, should we have the right to hire and fire those who work for us at our pleasure without the government telling us who we can hire and or fire?

What about a church, should they be able to chose who to hire and or fire?

What would be a good reason for the government to put a restriction on who you can hire and or fire.

I thought about this after posting atopic about Juan Williams getting fired because of the remarks he made about Muslims.

Edited by Jerry80871852

• Administrators

There is no legitimate reason for the government to dictate who a business owner may hire or fire. [but the government does - and if (borrowed from another thread) Rom. 13 means we are to OBey always, we would have to do that, right?]

We are in the process of beginning a business. My hubby should have the right to decide who will work for him, because it is his business, he pays the salaries and several taxes, etc. Indiana is an at will state, so he could fire whoever he decided needed to be, but I'm not sure about the hiring policies...

• Members

If you are employed in an "work at will" state and there is no contract (individual or union) in place, the employer can fire you for no reason except they want to and you may quit for no reason except that you want to. I live in Connecticut and it is an "at will" employment state.

• Members

Of course we are to OBey the government that is a whole different topic, I started this one off of another topic because I did not want to mess it up.. I just wondered how everyone felt about this issue.

At will, I suppose that means if there is a union you do not have to be union member to work, that is the way it use to be in Arkansas and I think it still is.

Contracts did not come to my mind when posting this, and yes, many places do have contracts, Linda's working under contract at the school lunch room. Yet with contracts the lawyer for the aggravated employee may well find loop holes.

My main thought was towards churches and small business, especially churches with a school that has to have teachers, of course they want teachers that lives by Christina principles this church holds to.

If I had a small business I would hate for the government to tell me that I could not fire so and so because we do not gee haw and if I did that person could file a law suit on me.

I might add, none of us would like it if a company refused to hire us because we marked down that we were Christian.

Lastly, those law makers sent to Washington all through the years are sure making everything difficult, even for small business.

• Members

But what if a person would not hire someone because of their race?

There is always a way to get these things done. I had a couple church janitors fired not so long ago, after I found out they voted for OBama.

Now that is how democracy is supposed to work. The people who you work for get to decide who you vote for. Maybe they should have just got absentee ballots so you could fill them out for them.

• Members

But what if a person would not hire someone because of their race?

Now that is how democracy is supposed to work. The people who you work for get to decide who you vote for. Maybe they should have just got absentee ballots so you could fill them out for them.

If a person owns a business they should be able to hire and fire whoever they want for whatever reason, or no reason.

• Members

There is always a way to get these things done. I had a couple church janitors fired not so long ago, after I found out they voted for OBama. A consultation with a lawyer can never hurt either.

I thought election voting was confidential.

• Members

We cannot refuse to hire someone in church if they are an atheist or sodomite.

Political parties can refuse to empoy those who support other parties, though. Double standards, here.

Edited by Invicta

• Members

We cannot refuse to hire someone in church if they are an atheist or sodomite.

Political parties can refuse to empoy those who support other parties, though. Double standards, here.

What most Americas want is a justice system tilted in their favor, they do not want it fair.

• Members

What most Americas want is a justice system tilted in their favor, they do not want it fair.

That's a fact! Self-proclaimed conservatives whine and scream when a judge makes a liberal ruling based on his whims rather than sound law but when a supposed conservative judge makes a ruling they like based upon his whims rather than sound law they applaud. This is hypocricy.

At the same time, if a judge makes a ruling based soundly upon the law that goes against what they want, they have a fit.

Indeed, fair and true justice isn't what they seek.

This can also be seen in the number of cases where proof positive has become evident that the wrong man was convicted of a crime and yet the prosecutors and judges involved in the case won't agree to let the man go free or even grant him a new trial.

• Members

That's a fact! Self-proclaimed conservatives whine and scream when a judge makes a liberal ruling based on his whims rather than sound law but when a supposed conservative judge makes a ruling they like based upon his whims rather than sound law they applaud. This is hypocricy.

At the same time, if a judge makes a ruling based soundly upon the law that goes against what they want, they have a fit.

Indeed, fair and true justice isn't what they seek.

This can also be seen in the number of cases where proof positive has become evident that the wrong man was convicted of a crime and yet the prosecutors and judges involved in the case won't agree to let the man go free or even grant him a new trial.

I might add that I've been guilty of wanting the justice system and everything else tilted in my favor.

The prosecutors doing that is one major flaw in out justice system. I might add, if everyone was honest the system in America would be just great. the truth seems to be there are few honest people in our government and or justice system.

Some time back a local elected judge, a woman, threw a big bang up drinking party at her house. One of those invited got pulled over by the law on the way home. He appeared before her, she threw the book at Him saying this country would not put up with this kind of behavior. Seems she ought to be the guilty one for having let him leave her house driving while drunk.