• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The conversationalist and public speaker...

• Members

I wonder, often times if one should be a good conversationalist and public speaker when soul winning. I have, in the past spoken to people who were far from the conversationalist and did not put up a good argument for what they believed in. This is frustrating to hear when one is attempting to witness outside the normal meeting grounds of the Church. I may be coming from an educational realm, but now-a-days people are smarter than one may think about the Bible, and as such can run circles around the not-so-educated soul-seeker.

Edited by Saved IFB

• Members

I wonder, often times if one should be a good conversationalist and public speaker when soul winning. I have, in the past spoken to people who were far from the conversationalist and did not put up a good argument for what they believed in. This is frustrating to hear when one is attempting to witness outside the normal meeting grounds of the Church. I may be coming from an educational realm, but now-a-days people are smarter than one may think about the Bible, and as such can run circles around the not-so-educated soul-seeker.

Its better to deal with people at their level. Helps keep one from being labeled as "Holier than Thou".

• Members

Its better to deal with people at their level. Helps keep one from being labeled as "Holier than Thou".

Good point, Brother K. But often times you don't know what level of person you are going to run into, correct? Edited by Saved IFB

• Members

Good point, Brother K. But often times you don't know what level of person you are going to run into, correct?

Correct. With the Holy Spirit guiding you it won't take long; since He (Holy Spirit) has gone before you. We all have made mistakes when dealing with people, therefore experience sometimes is the best teacher.

• Members

Correct. With the Holy Spirit guiding you it won't take long; since He (Holy Spirit) has gone before you. We all have made mistakes when dealing with people, therefore experience sometimes is the best teacher.

The Lord teaches us many things through experience. We must also remember that it's our duty to present the Gospel, after that it's the jOB of the Holy Ghost to work on the heart of the hearer. No one gets saved because of our great communication skills and so long as we can present the Gospel, no one will reject salvation simply because we lack great communication skills.

Scripture also tells us not to get caught up in side issues whether about science, vain babblings, geneologies or other matters. We are to present the Gospel (and live a life in Christ so others can see Christ in us) and allow the Holy Ghost to do His work. If the Holy Ghost has something specific for us to say He is more than capable of bringing that about.

There are times and places for getting into some details about non-Gospel matters, but for the most part, when doing "simple" witnessing, we are best to follow the biblical model and stick to the Gospel.

• Members

The Lord teaches us many things through experience. We must also remember that it's our duty to present the Gospel, after that it's the jOB of the Holy Ghost to work on the heart of the hearer. No one gets saved because of our great communication skills and so long as we can present the Gospel, no one will reject salvation simply because we lack great communication skills.

Scripture also tells us not to get caught up in side issues whether about science, vain babblings, geneologies or other matters. We are to present the Gospel (and live a life in Christ so others can see Christ in us) and allow the Holy Ghost to do His work. If the Holy Ghost has something specific for us to say He is more than capable of bringing that about.

There are times and places for getting into some details about non-Gospel matters, but for the most part, when doing "simple" witnessing, we are best to follow the biblical model and stick to the Gospel.

Thanks guys. I must have been looking at it through intellectual/educational means, and not letting the simplicity of the gospel come out.

• Members

If you all will excuse the old sales adage, "You can do everything right and say everything right and they still won't come". They have to answer the knock at the door and let Jesus in--all we are doing is arranging the meeting (another quote, but seemed appropriate B) ).

• Members

When your out door knocking, visiting, I really don't believe its a good time to be carrying on big conversations about worldly events and such. And if its someone who is lost, its not a good time to put up and argument about Bible issues. If the people are lost, it would be the time to put that stuff aside and try as best you can to present the Gospels to them with hope they will accept Jesus as Savior.

You could do this with the Bible, and or with a real good tract. If they are lost, yet all they want to do is argue about Bible issues it would prOBably be a good time to move on, of course inviting them to attend your church services before leaving.

In my Bible I've got the Romans Road marked out, I marked it out for when you speaking with someone that is lost its easy to get side tracked, having it marked makes it much easier for me to get back on track without having to search though the Scriptures.

I mentioned a real good track, a pastor friend of mine uses a real good tract. If the person happens to get saved he will mark the date, time, ect down on this tract and give it to them. If the person does not accept Jesus as Savior he will still leave the tract with them. Plus he always has the name, location and phone number for his church on the tract. I think we can all think of many good reason why that would be a great idea to leave such a tract with them.

• Members

When your out door knocking, visiting, I really don't believe its a good time to be carrying on big conversations about worldly events and such. And if its someone who is lost, its not a good time to put up and argument about Bible issues. If the people are lost, it would be the time to put that stuff aside and try as best you can to present the Gospels to them with hope they will accept Jesus as Savior.

You could do this with the Bible, and or with a real good tract. If they are lost, yet all they want to do is argue about Bible issues it would prOBably be a good time to move on, of course inviting them to attend your church services before leaving.

In my Bible I've got the Romans Road marked out, I marked it out for when you speaking with someone that is lost its easy to get side tracked, having it marked makes it much easier for me to get back on track without having to search though the Scriptures.

I mentioned a real good track, a pastor friend of mine uses a real good tract. If the person happens to get saved he will mark the date, time, ect down on this tract and give it to them. If the person does not accept Jesus as Savior he will still leave the tract with them. Plus he always has the name, location and phone number for his church on the tract. I think we can all think of many good reason why that would be a great idea to leave such a tract with them.

:amen::thumb:

• Members

I think I was looking at it from the Christian apologetics point of view.

There are times and places for that but in general witnessing, that's not the time. Most often in general witnessing if one tries to attack the Bible or divert the topic to various side issues, it's an indication their heart isn't ready for the Gospel. Plant the seed and move on is usually the best course.

• Members
There are times and places for that but in general witnessing, that's not the time. Most often in general witnessing if one tries to attack the Bible or divert the topic to various side issues, it's an indication their heart isn't ready for the Gospel. Plant the seed and move on is usually the best course.

Good advice, John. Thanks.

• Members

Plus, if they are lost, they cannot understand the underlying spiritual meaning of the Bible, to understand that 1st they need to be saved and have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them. So actually there is no gain in debating the Bible with a lost person, that is if we believe the Bible.

1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.