• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Burial - An IFB View

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I believe it's ashes to ashes and dust to dust either way; cremation just speeds the process up, but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it because I don't plan on dying... :saint2:

I hear ya. When I got saved over 30 years ago, I didn't figure I'd be even close to dying because certainly the Lord Jesus had come for me before then. Now that I'm older, I still have that hope, but I also am well aware that I am not immortal and it just might be he let's me perish before he comes back!

• Members

Don't worry about running out of real-estate, nor taking up to much of it, remember, the day will come when all graves will be emptied, and I feel sure that our God would never set the example of burying people in a grave if we would run out of real-estate and or take up to much of it before Jesus' comes for His own.

God's way is not always the cheapest way, and following Jesus does not mean you will have much money nor worldly possession, in fact, following Jesus is a sacrifice that many refuse to make.

In some places they already have run out of real estate. For example, in Taiwan where my wife's grandparents are buried, space is very tight and cremation is mandatory.

• Members

I hear ya. When I got saved over 30 years ago, I didn't figure I'd be even close to dying because certainly the Lord Jesus had come for me before then. Now that I'm older, I still have that hope, but I also am well aware that I am not immortal and it just might be he let's me perish before he comes back!

Yes, and none of us have any assurance of tomorrow, so hopefully my post came across as intended, tongue-in-cheek rather than holier-than-thou.

• Members

Please take notice what I stated, we will not run out of real-estate before Jesus comes. We have to believe that, that is if we believe the Bible, if not them we believe as the atheist do.

And of course burial may well be outlawed, man hates God's ways and His people's ways and all the unbelievers rebel against Him and His ways.

I have compelete assurance about tomorrow, if I die & or if Jesus comes, He will never forsake me nor leave me, my place is reserved for He said, That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal
life.

• Members

Please take notice what I stated, we will not run out of real-estate before Jesus comes. We have to believe that, that is if we believe the Bible, if not them we believe as the atheist do.

And of course burial may well be outlawed, man hates God's ways and His people's ways and all the unbelievers rebel against Him and His ways.

I have compelete assurance about tomorrow, if I die & or if Jesus comes, He will never forsake me nor leave me, my place is reserved for He said, That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal
life.

What if part of God's judgment upon man kind is to run out of real-estate?

• Members

I'd agree with that if burial was a commandment, but it's not. I can see how someone could adopt it as a personal standard based on the example of the patriarchs, but to say that other people hate God's ways because they don't adhere to your personal standards is to elevate your personal standards to the level of God's commands.

• Members

Faith, have a little faith in God to work out things for your own good, them let Him worry about such matters.

Trust me, I'm not worried and I absolutely know God takes care of me. That doesn't mean, however, that I can't be caught in the same circumstances that God is using to judge this old world or earth (rains, floods, earthquakes, etc.).

• Members

"but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day;"

Burial is cited several times as the proper method of dealing with the dead, as other verses have been posted previously show.

I really don't know why a Christian would consider cremation when such is a heathen practice and the examples in Scripture point to burial as the proper means dealing with the dead.

• Members

"but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day;"

Burial is cited several times as the proper method of dealing with the dead, as other verses have been posted previously show.

I really don't know why a Christian would consider cremation when such is a heathen practice and the examples in Scripture point to burial as the proper means dealing with the dead.

Took this from Way of Life Encyclopedia:

Burning of dead bodies. The following are the reasons we are convinced that cremation should not be practiced by Christians:

Cremation has a heathen origin and purpose. Why do the Hindus and those of other heathen religions cremate? They do it in the belief that the dead are not raised again, whereas the Bible says there is a resurrection of the just and the unjust. The heathen practice cremation in the belief that the dead will be reincarnated; to destroy the body is sometimes considered a way of releasing the spirit of the deceased. Again, some practice cremation with the heathen idea that by destroying the body of the deceased the fear of that individual staying in the vicinity and haunting the loved ones is diminished. There is nothing Christian about cremation.

God's people have always practiced burial. Abraham (Ge 25:8-10), Sarah (Ge 23:1-4), Rachel (Ge 35:19-20), Isaac (Ge 35:29), JacOB (Ge 49:33; 50:1-13), Joseph (Ge 50:26), Joshua (Jos 24:29-30), Eleazar (Jos 24:33), Samuel (1Sa 25:1), David (1Ki 2:10), John the Baptist (Mal 4:6), Ananias and Sapphira (Ac 5:5-10), Stephen (Ac 8:2). In Ro 15:4 and 1Co 10:11 God tells us that we are to follow the Bible's examples as well as its direct instructions.

Even in difficult circumstances God's people in olden days practiced burial. For example, Joseph's body was kept for over 400 years in Egypt and then carried through the 40 years of wilderness wanderings before being buried in the Promised Land. We read of this in Ge 50:24-25; Ex 13:19 and Jos 24:32. How much simpler it would have been for the Israelites to have cremated Joseph, then carried his ashes with them in a tiny container! This they refused to do. Joseph, a follower of the one true God, a man who looked forward to the bodily resurrection, was given an honorable burial. From this important example, we learn that even if cremation is less expensive or easier than burial, it is still to be rejected, as the Israelites rejected the economical and simpler way to transport Joseph's body.

Burial looks forward to resurrection. The reason God's people have always been careful to practice burial is not difficult to understand. We believe in a bodily resurrection (Ro 8:22-23; 1Co 15:20-23; 2Co 5:1; 1Co 15:51-57). Yes, the buried body will decompose in time. Yes, there are occasions in which Christians die in ways which render burial impossible-in the sinking of ships, in fires, etc. But when at all possible we bury. Why the trouble? Because it is our certain hope that the same individual will be raised in the same body, only changed. The physical body is called the seed for the resurrection body. When planted, a seed decomposes, and the new plant comes forth.

The Bible uses this to illustrate resurrection.

In 1Co 15:35-44 the Apostle answers those who would ask how it is possible for God to raise again a decomposed body. The terminology used by the Holy Spirit in this passage is that of husbandry-planting seed. The farmer does not destroy his seed; he plants it, then from the decaying seed comes forth the new life. Such is burial and the resurrection. When we bury a Christian loved one, we are planting the seed for the resurrection body! It is a powerful testimony of our unwavering faith in God's Word regarding the promise of bodily resurrection.

Contrast heathenism. They have no such knowledge or hope. The Hindus and Buddhists, for example, believe in reincarnation. Though they believe in a human soul which is distinct from the body, they do not believe that soul, once departed from the body at death, will be resurrected in any relation whatsoever to the first body. Rather they believe the soul will be reincarnated in another entirely unrelated body, or into a non-physical sphere of existence.

God's people have always buried their dead with this magnificent hope burning in their hearts. "We will see that brother or sister again in that same body, only changed, glorified!" Hallelujah! Only through the death and shed blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ can we have this certain hope. He has taken upon Himself on the cross the punishment for our sins, carried our sins into the grave, and risen again in eternal triumph three days later. When an individual thoroughly acknowledges his sinfulness before God, repents of his sin, and receives Jesus Christ as his or her Lord and Savior, the sin debt is paid, and eternal life and glory is promised from God the Father. Part of this heritage in Christ is the glorified resurrection body.

God practices burial (De 34:5-6).

Cremation is a sign of God's curse. Throughout the Bible the destruction of a human body or of an OBject by fire is used as a sign of divine wrath (Ex 32:20; Le 10:1-2; De 7:25; Nu 16:35; 2Ki 10:26; 1Ch 14:12; Ac 19:18-19; Re 20:15).

For a person not to have a proper burial was considered a dishonor (1Ki 21:23-24; Ps 83:9-10).

The Christian's body belongs to God. The body is not ours to destroy by fire or by any other means (Ro 14:8; 1Co 6:19-20).

God has plainly called cremation wickedness (Am 2:1).

The Lord Jesus Christ was buried, and He is our great example (Joh 19:38-42).

Just as the Lord Jesus Christ was buried in certainty that He would rise again on the third day according to the Scriptures, even so is the Christian said to rest at death. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, as the Apostle Paul testified (2Co 5:9 and Php 1:21-23). The body without the spirit is dead (Jas 2:26). The dead body sleeps in the grave while the redeemed soul waits in glory for the great resurrection day.

Of course we cannot force people either to bury or not to bury. And we know that the manner of one's burial does not affect one's salvation or resurrection, but we do believe these things are important, and we are convinced that Christians should take their stand upon the examples of the Word of God.

• Members

Took this from Way of Life Encyclopedia:

Burning of dead bodies. The following are the reasons we are convinced that cremation should not be practiced by Christians:

Cremation has a heathen origin and purpose. Why do the Hindus and those of other heathen religions cremate? They do it in the belief that the dead are not raised again, whereas the Bible says there is a resurrection of the just and the unjust. The heathen practice cremation in the belief that the dead will be reincarnated; to destroy the body is sometimes considered a way of releasing the spirit of the deceased. Again, some practice cremation with the heathen idea that by destroying the body of the deceased the fear of that individual staying in the vicinity and haunting the loved ones is diminished. There is nothing Christian about cremation.

God's people have always practiced burial. Abraham (Ge 25:8-10), Sarah (Ge 23:1-4), Rachel (Ge 35:19-20), Isaac (Ge 35:29), JacOB (Ge 49:33; 50:1-13), Joseph (Ge 50:26), Joshua (Jos 24:29-30), Eleazar (Jos 24:33), Samuel (1Sa 25:1), David (1Ki 2:10), John the Baptist (Mal 4:6), Ananias and Sapphira (Ac 5:5-10), Stephen (Ac 8:2). In Ro 15:4 and 1Co 10:11 God tells us that we are to follow the Bible's examples as well as its direct instructions.

Even in difficult circumstances God's people in olden days practiced burial. For example, Joseph's body was kept for over 400 years in Egypt and then carried through the 40 years of wilderness wanderings before being buried in the Promised Land. We read of this in Ge 50:24-25; Ex 13:19 and Jos 24:32. How much simpler it would have been for the Israelites to have cremated Joseph, then carried his ashes with them in a tiny container! This they refused to do. Joseph, a follower of the one true God, a man who looked forward to the bodily resurrection, was given an honorable burial. From this important example, we learn that even if cremation is less expensive or easier than burial, it is still to be rejected, as the Israelites rejected the economical and simpler way to transport Joseph's body.

Burial looks forward to resurrection. The reason God's people have always been careful to practice burial is not difficult to understand. We believe in a bodily resurrection (Ro 8:22-23; 1Co 15:20-23; 2Co 5:1; 1Co 15:51-57). Yes, the buried body will decompose in time. Yes, there are occasions in which Christians die in ways which render burial impossible-in the sinking of ships, in fires, etc. But when at all possible we bury. Why the trouble? Because it is our certain hope that the same individual will be raised in the same body, only changed. The physical body is called the seed for the resurrection body. When planted, a seed decomposes, and the new plant comes forth.

The Bible uses this to illustrate resurrection.

In 1Co 15:35-44 the Apostle answers those who would ask how it is possible for God to raise again a decomposed body. The terminology used by the Holy Spirit in this passage is that of husbandry-planting seed. The farmer does not destroy his seed; he plants it, then from the decaying seed comes forth the new life. Such is burial and the resurrection. When we bury a Christian loved one, we are planting the seed for the resurrection body! It is a powerful testimony of our unwavering faith in God's Word regarding the promise of bodily resurrection.

Contrast heathenism. They have no such knowledge or hope. The Hindus and Buddhists, for example, believe in reincarnation. Though they believe in a human soul which is distinct from the body, they do not believe that soul, once departed from the body at death, will be resurrected in any relation whatsoever to the first body. Rather they believe the soul will be reincarnated in another entirely unrelated body, or into a non-physical sphere of existence.

God's people have always buried their dead with this magnificent hope burning in their hearts. "We will see that brother or sister again in that same body, only changed, glorified!" Hallelujah! Only through the death and shed blood of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ can we have this certain hope. He has taken upon Himself on the cross the punishment for our sins, carried our sins into the grave, and risen again in eternal triumph three days later. When an individual thoroughly acknowledges his sinfulness before God, repents of his sin, and receives Jesus Christ as his or her Lord and Savior, the sin debt is paid, and eternal life and glory is promised from God the Father. Part of this heritage in Christ is the glorified resurrection body.

God practices burial (De 34:5-6).

Cremation is a sign of God's curse. Throughout the Bible the destruction of a human body or of an OBject by fire is used as a sign of divine wrath (Ex 32:20; Le 10:1-2; De 7:25; Nu 16:35; 2Ki 10:26; 1Ch 14:12; Ac 19:18-19; Re 20:15).

For a person not to have a proper burial was considered a dishonor (1Ki 21:23-24; Ps 83:9-10).

The Christian's body belongs to God. The body is not ours to destroy by fire or by any other means (Ro 14:8; 1Co 6:19-20).

God has plainly called cremation wickedness (Am 2:1).

The Lord Jesus Christ was buried, and He is our great example (Joh 19:38-42).

Just as the Lord Jesus Christ was buried in certainty that He would rise again on the third day according to the Scriptures, even so is the Christian said to rest at death. To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, as the Apostle Paul testified (2Co 5:9 and Php 1:21-23). The body without the spirit is dead (Jas 2:26). The dead body sleeps in the grave while the redeemed soul waits in glory for the great resurrection day.

Of course we cannot force people either to bury or not to bury. And we know that the manner of one's burial does not affect one's salvation or resurrection, but we do believe these things are important, and we are convinced that Christians should take their stand upon the examples of the Word of God.

:amen: Very good post! :thumb: