• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance

• Members

Repentance

Mark 1:15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

On the day of resurrection, your sins will not be what send you to hell. There will be two sets of books, and people will be judged out of one set for what they have done, but those sins will not send them to hell. Jesus Christ said all sins will be forgiven men but one. And another book will be opened up, the Lamb’s book of life, and all the people that are not in it will be cast into the lake of fire. And the people in that book will have committed the one sin that will not be forgiven.

And that sin is not to believe the one that God sent. The unpardonable sin. Continued unbelief. The sin against the Holy Spirit. Not Being born again. There are not two unpardonable sins, just one. And all who confess Jesus Christ will be saved, and all who do not confess Jesus Christ will not.

The difference between the two groups is not the sins they committed. The difference is the last group believed Jesus and their sins were blotted out and not imputed to them, and they were washed in the blood of Jesus and made white as snow. It is the only difference.

- His winnowing fork is in his hand and he will gather the grain into the grainy, but he will burn the chaff with unquenchable fire.

John 3:16-17
16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

Although I can read the above line of Mark fine, and know it says change your mind and believe the gospel, I can see that some people do. I'm sure I had that prOBlem too in the past. I've been kind of numb lately to the errors of the devil, BUT

I also have a bible study I created that looks at every single use of the word repent in the bible. It doesn't mean what you think it means. Our ancestors had this prOBlem, and there was a whole host of religious words they had to fight over before the plain words of the bible could be understood. Repentance is a religious word now. It does not by itself mean "repentance of sins" - that has been added.

Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

Repentance Defined

If God is Holy and without sin, and He is, then why does God repent a bunch of times in the bible?

Because the word repent just means “to change your mind”, directly from the greek in the NT and the sense in english/hebrew. You can change your mind about a lot of things not just sins. Whenever you see the word repent with God, it definitely isn’t talking about sin because God doesn’t have any. And it isn’t necessarily talking about sin in any other place that doesn’t say so either, because repent just means to change what you’re doing. For instance, I could repent of thinking I was going to stay up later, and go to bed, but that is just saying I changed what I planned.

Repent or some derivative of it, includes repenteth(did), ing(doing), repentance (state if), is found 112 times in the bible. The phrase “repent of sins” is found zero times in the bible. You can change your mind about a lot of things. The majority of the times repent seems to be when God talking, and God isn’t repenting of sin, but changing his mind. The second greatest seems to be changing your mind about something in general, but not God talking, the third appears to be repenting of unbelief and believing the gospel. The last few are repenting of sins or deeds.

Rest of study to follow. I already wrote it, and have a table of all 112 times it is used. I haven't totaled the exact # for each category yet. You can go ahead and look for yourself in the bible.

(I did a trial of the above question with someone live, and it stumped them fyi as I expected it)

Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

Repentence basically means "to turn against". When a man turns to Jesus, he simultaneously turns from self. He does an about-face. Thew Bible says "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ...." When as man truly believes on Jesus, he is believeing that he is a wretched lowdown sinner, he is believeing that he is bound for judgemnt, and he is beleiving that Jesus is Holy and righteous and that Jesus is his only hope.
You turn against self and toward God. That's what repentence is. It can happen in a split second.

• Members

You only need one thing to be saved, faith in God. Saving faith includes the idea of God making it possible to give up your whole life and follow him, that He will finish what he started. Check out my message on saving faith from Luke. You can't do anything on your own.

Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

You only need one thing to be saved, faith in God. Saving faith includes the idea of God making it possible to give up your whole life and follow him, that He will finish what he started. Check out my message on saving faith from Luke. You can't do anything on your own.

Reference Rom 10:13-14... After hearing the Word concerning Salvation, a lost person must Believe (they can either accept of reject it); if they accept it, they must Call on the name of the Lord.

• Members

The devils believe God will do what He says and they believe He will finish what He started. But they don't have saving faith. Faith is turning to Jesus for your only hope, sir. Hope for what? Turning from what?

Luke 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

40But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

42And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

You see, the second theif had faith in God alright. He realized that God was righteous but that he himselfwas unrighteous. He, in effect, BELEIVED in his heart "God...,you're right and I'm wrong"...I don't deserve it, but I sure would love to have your mercy". This man turned to God from self...in faith.

• Members

The devils believe God will do what He says and they believe He will finish what He started. But they don't have saving faith. Faith is turning to Jesus for your only hope, sir. Hope for what? Turning from what?

Luke 23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

40But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

41And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

You see, the second theif had faith in God alright. He realized that God was righteous but that he himselfwas unrighteous. He, in effect, BELEIVED in his heart "God...,you're right and I'm wrong"...I don't deserve it, but I sure would love to have your mercy". This man turned to God from self...in faith.

:amen:

• Members

I've been saved for a long time, but the way I treat people I believe are in error is the way I am treating you. I hope I retain that in my old age, and don't fall to the way of the world. I pray that I improve.

3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

The thief on the cross is a good example. When he had faith that Jesus was who he said he was, and asked Jesus to save him Jesus saved him. It was a free gift that the thief received. (in joy).

People react differently to different things. Putting an emotional response to it as some seem to require is essentially (re)pentance. If you are defining anything apart from faith as what you are talking about than you are just wrong, because faith is from God alone. If you are adding anything to what faith is, you are still not right.

This is my heartfelt belief after a lot of thinking about this. Trying to make salvation a nice process of you do this and you do that, and all the doctrine disputes about repentance, and what process you follow, and where you put it in, is so much witchcraft and works of men. Jews repent. Catholics repent. Mormons repent. Jesus saves.

God saves you through Jesus Christ His Son. PERIOD. Its grace through faith, and that from God alone. You don't get more faith or lose less faith by something you do, else it isn't the faith God gave you. Amen. Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

Reference Rom 10:13-14... After hearing the Word concerning Salvation, a lost person must Believe (they can either accept of reject it); if they accept it, they must Call on the name of the Lord.

I haven't been careful in all my messages to state this over again (using Acts 8:37 as an example), but:

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Rom 10:11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
Rom 10:12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
Rom 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

That is ALL you need. And I believe God.

That is all eunuch believed too:
Act 8:26 And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert.
Act 8:27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
Act 8:28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
Act 8:29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
Act 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
Act 8:31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
Act 8:32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
Act 8:33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
Act 8:34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
Act 8:39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.
Act 8:40 But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea. Edited by MaxKennedy

• Members

3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

On preaching the good news. I beleive this verse prOBably has everything I beleive about sin in it (you need to be
saved) and everything you aren't suppose to do (condemn the world). If Jesus Christ didn't, I shouldn't.

God talks to us through love. We realize our sins after we see his love, and not because he accuses us like satan.

And how much did he love us? He loved us by dying on a cross for our own sins and to give us eternal life, and
we were enemies!

• Members

Not it isn't. Faith is what God gives you. It is not you turning. It is not something you can hope to do. It is not repenting of all your sins in tears. You may do that and be saved, but it isn't what saves, because it is God alone that saves.

Faith, saving faith, isn't something you can do. God gives it, you believe it, and you confess it.

That is why when I read Luke the other day on saving faith, I realized what it was talking about. It wasn't talking about how to get faith, but how to see if you have it, to consider and think about it. Am I really trusting God? And yes, HE WILL FINISH THE WORK HE STARTED (Ephasians 2:10, Php 1:6).

Now, I know this discussion is hard because defintions have become what they aren't, and I also have gotten annoyed at times, but I hope to see that "as iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another", so sharpening defintions which involve what every false gospel badly defines is a good thing.

Repent does not mean what many thinks it means. It may or may not be about sin, and God repents in the OT a lot. In the gospel, it means believe the gospel - Romans 10:9. Edited by MaxKennedy