• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Friday Church News Notes

• Members
OctOBer 8, 2010, Volume 11, Issue 41

GRAPHICAL PDF

The Friday Church News Notes is designed for use in churches and is published by Way of Life Literature’s Fundamental Baptist Information Service. Unless otherwise stated, the Notes are written by David Cloud. Of necessity we quote from a wide variety of sources, but this does not imply an endorsement. For instructions on how to unsubscribe to this list or to change mailing addresses, please consult the information paragraph at the end.

orange-BillW-B
EARLY 12-STEP MANUSCRIPT REVEALS THE PROGRAM’S UNSCRIPTURAL NATURE (Friday Church News Notes, OctOBer 8, 2010, www.wayoflife.org, fbns@wayoflife.org, 866-295-4143) - The 12-Step addiction recovery phenomenon, which began with Alcoholics Anonymous, has gone far to psychologize North America and wean it away from solid Biblical principles. Twenty-seven million copies of the AA manual have been published in more than 50 languages, and the psychOBabble approach has been applied to everything from gamblers to “shopaholics.” It has been celebrated in countless movies and television programs. The first AA book appeared in 1939, and a working manuscript that was used to produce that first volume is being published this week in a format entitled “The Book that Started It All.” The manuscript reveals how that the founders of AA determined to avoid overtly “religious” terminology and any “preaching” that might offend the non-religious. Through AA’s influence, the biblical term “drunkenness” was traded for “alcoholism.” Sin became a disease. Sinners became victims. The power of spiritual regeneration through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ was traded for the power of self-will and (for those who need more) a non-defined “higher power.” The following marginal note from the working manuscript is telling: “We have said constantly the trouble with organized religion is that they try to dogmatically pour people into moulds. So why should we give specific instructions in the book such as saying do this and do that?” (“12-Step Manuscript Rare Glimpse into Early AA,” AP, Sept. 28, 2010). To reject religious dogmatism and specific instructions is to reject the Bible and the God revealed in the Bible, which is what Western society has been in the process of doing for a long time. Susan Cheever, who wrote a biography of AA co-founder Bill Wilson, says it was his “spiritual inclusiveness” that “struck the right tone in a chapter for atheists and agnostics.” The founders decided not to use words like “saved” and “instruct.” Most references to God were replaced with “faith” before the volume was first printed.

View the full article

• Members

I'm amazed at the number of Christens that claims alcoholism is a disease, that it is not a sin.

Public schools and the media has much to do with this. Couple this with weak preachers, who themselves are often overly influenced by their public school educations and the media, and lack of Bible study and it's little wonder so many professing Christians believe the many unbiblical things they do.

• Members

It's human nature to want to blame others for our own failures. That's why people sue gun makers and fast-food restaurants.

Yes it is, we inherited that from our grandparents, Adam and Eve who quickly offered up excuses to God, when in fact they had not excuse, it was their very own fault that they disOBeyed God.

Not many of us seem to learn from that incident, we too try and offer up the 1st excuse that comes to mind.

• Members

"The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the LORD." (Proverbs 19:3). This subject, and this verse, was the discussion at potluck lunch yesterday. We were talking about how we act foolishly, disOBey the commandments of God and pervert our way, but then we blame God for the consequences of our foolishness! May God show mercy and patience to His wayward sheep!

• Members

I've known that there was something wrong with the 12 step AA program for nearly 30 yrs.

I helped an alcoholic man (biblical drunk) once who came to me for help to finish his break with liquor. But he was a member of AA big time and wasn't ready to accept any criticism of it. Nonetheless I gave him some audio tapes exposing AA and its founder that revealed the unbiblical nature of AA. He became furious with me and stomped out. About a year later he came to me and apologized for his behavior and I received him as a brother. But he wouldn't make the break with AA. A very short time after he apologized he committed suicide. AA did not solve his prOBlem and since he looked to AA (who would NOT tell him about Jesus and how He is the solution to our prOBlems) he fell apart and in despair took his own life. How tragic that was.

I have no use for AA. In some cases its just as hard to get people to break with AA than it is to break with liquor itself!

Best wishes all.

• Members

For those that AA helps overcome their drunkenness, AA often becomes their "saviour" in their minds. Any negative comment regarding AA, not matter how factual, is taken as an attack upon their "saviour" which made them a "new person" (not really new, just no longer drunk, but new in their own minds).

Yes, AA can become just as much of an "addiction" as the liquor and both lead to the same path of destruction.

• Members

For those that AA helps overcome their drunkenness, AA often becomes their "saviour" in their minds. Any negative comment regarding AA, not matter how factual, is taken as an attack upon their "saviour" which made them a "new person" (not really new, just no longer drunk, but new in their own minds).

Yes, AA can become just as much of an "addiction" as the liquor and both lead to the same path of destruction.

Yes, I agree. I've seen that to be true for some who are in it.

• Members

Found this in an issue of the Sword of the Lord.

Alcoholism! Tell Me the Truth!

Is it an illness, or Is it a Sin?

If polluted city water caused a disease, would you build more hospitals and continue to drink the water? If not, why do we treat alcohol like we do and promise its safe?

There would be no prOBlem of alcoholism without alcohol.

If it is a disease, it is the only disease that is licensed, bottled and sold over the counter for profit.

Liquor advertisements promise deceptive slogans, but there is on that really tells it like it is. “Our liquor leaves you breathless.” That is right. All you have to do is visit the morgue or the funeral homes of the city to see those who have been left breathless by liquor consumption.

The Bible term for alcoholism is drunkenness. The person who indulges is called a drunkard. Lets not fail to cry aloud and call this what it is!
Its drunkenness!

• Members

Found this in an issue of the Sword of the Lord.

Alcoholism! Tell Me the Truth!

Is it an illness, or Is it a Sin?

If polluted city water caused a disease, would you build more hospitals and continue to drink the water? If not, why do we treat alcohol like we do and promise its safe?

There would be no prOBlem of alcoholism without alcohol.

If it is a disease, it is the only disease that is licensed, bottled and sold over the counter for profit.

Liquor advertisements promise deceptive slogans, but there is on that really tells it like it is. “Our liquor leaves you breathless.” That is right. All you have to do is visit the morgue or the funeral homes of the city to see those who have been left breathless by liquor consumption.

The Bible term for alcoholism is drunkenness. The person who indulges is called a drunkard. Lets not fail to cry aloud and call this what it is!
Its drunkenness!

Liquor, by definition, is by law, an intoxicating beverage and it is illegal to drink and drive because of that fact. But how many people know that the word 'intoxication' is defined as being poisoned?

From the American Heritage Dictionary - "n·tox·i·cate (¹n-t¼k“s¹-k³t”) v. in·tox·i·cat·ed, in·tox·i·cat·ing, in·tox·i·cates. --tr. 1. To stupefy or excite, as by the action of a chemical substance such as alcohol. 2. To stimulate or excite: “a man whom life intoxicates, who has no need of wine” (Anaïs Nin). 3. To poison. --intr. To cause stupefaction, stimulation, or excitement by or as if by use of a chemical substance: “The notion of Holy War is showing that it has not yet lost all its power to intoxicate and to inflame” (Conor Cruise O'Brien). [Middle English, to poison, from Medieval Latin intoxic³re, intoxic³t- : Latin in-, in; see IN-2 + Late Latin toxic³re, to smear with poison (from Latin toxicum, poison; see TOXIC).]."

This fact is overlooked not only by sinners but by our social drinking Christian friends. Edited by Yankee Candle

• Members

Believing and OBeying the Word of God isn't popular. Consider how many professing Christians say it's okay for Christians to drink alcohol, be homosexual, have women and homosexual pastors, dress however they want, wallow in the worlds entertainment, and on and on.

• Members

Sad, most of us pick and chose what part we trust and OBey. That is when we disagree with God we do as we please acting like we trust and OBey on all matters.

So true. This is why we are commanded to read and meditate upon the Word every night and day. We are to abide in the Word so the Word will abide in us. If we do this as true followers of Christ it will show for the Word says if we love Christ we will keep His commandments.

• Members

Liquor, by definition, is by law, an intoxicating beverage and it is illegal to drink and drive because of that fact. But how many people know that the word 'intoxication' is defined as being poisoned?

From the American Heritage Dictionary - "n·tox·i·cate (¹n-t¼k“s¹-k³t”) v. in·tox·i·cat·ed, in·tox·i·cat·ing, in·tox·i·cates. --tr. 1. To stupefy or excite, as by the action of a chemical substance such as alcohol. 2. To stimulate or excite: “a man whom life intoxicates, who has no need of wine” (Anaïs Nin). 3. To poison. --intr. To cause stupefaction, stimulation, or excitement by or as if by use of a chemical substance: “The notion of Holy War is showing that it has not yet lost all its power to intoxicate and to inflame” (Conor Cruise O'Brien). [Middle English, to poison, from Medieval Latin intoxic³re, intoxic³t- : Latin in-, in; see IN-2 + Late Latin toxic³re, to smear with poison (from Latin toxicum, poison; see TOXIC).]."

This fact is overlooked not only by sinners but by our social drinking Christian friends.

Because most people understand that not all possible definitions apply to any possible use of the word.